Observations on a Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice review- do you fly?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The nav system sometimes wants to reroute you depending on if you want the shortest route, or quickest. And yes keep the bottles up front in each cup holder in case you get pulled over.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oddly enough, i just got back from a 1200 mile road trip. Made some obserations myself, but to comment on yours

1) dunno, never rains in the South
2) Amen. Think you're alking about the stock weatherstripping/gutter area here, and not the aftermarket big plastic pieces?
3) No NAV here..
4) YES! While it's not too uncomfortable to me, 6'1, the mounting location is horrible. It keeps getting stuck between the door sill and the lower plastic portion of the rear of the door when i close it.
5) Yep. Found that out as well.
6) Yeah i was afraid of this and went out the morning before i left to infiniti and bought the stock leather bra. Was about $130. Looks like a bug graveyard now. Simple enough to put on with the exception of the taps that go between the headlights and the fender. There seems to be some sort of glue down in there that would get all over the tab when inserted, and prevent it from sliding in easily. Never did get it in all the way, but it worked. Took it off as soon as got back so as not to risk the paint and getting it wet (warned against in the instructions. Something about paint clouding.).
7) Fully agree. I'm going to try replacing the speakers and amp, as i've read on these forums that a lot of funky EQ goes on in that Bose amp. I'd consider replacing the HU, but i'd have to figure out a way to integrate the factory BT controls with the aftermarket radio (might be possible with the new Alpine/Pioneer BT enabled HUs?). Steering wheel control interfaces they have, but also i'd hate to lose the stock lock

Other comments... I too noticed the tire noise. Brand new tires on an 06 5AT. Now just under 3k on the odometer.

There's something about the seatbelt where it connects to the sidewall. That opening there or something catches air and makes all kinds of noise when windows are down.

From reading the forums, i was aware of the road noise issues, but it really gets bad when your back tires are kicking stuff up. Plan on following one of the threads here to pull the rear seats and strategically place some sound dampening material around the rear wheel wells.

Lastly, man there are some @$$hole drivers in ATL

Old 06-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some comments on the issues raised on this thread:

-to the guy who said when the AC is off there is a bunch of hot air flying in your face...well if you haven't already figured this out yet, you can try the following: when the AC unit is completely off and you are driving around, air will flow naturally into the vehicle via the hvac vents. to prevent the warm, unconditioned air from getting in, simply hit the recycle air button while the system is off. no more hot air

-seatbelt issue: i too hate how the edge of the seatbelt rubs against my neck just above my shirt collar. its annoying as hell, and when i get out from a short ride, my neck is all red and irritated in that area where the seatbelt keeps rubbing. i usually just pull up my shirt to stop it.

aside from that seatbelt issue, i also have an issue where when I'm driving around, the seatbelt guide plastic rubs against the pleather siding of the seat and makes all sorts of rubbing noises which gets annoying as hell after a while.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
tyekknikal,
- Thanks. Just trying to get a feel for this car and whether my complaints are just me or the quirkiness of this car. I'll admit, I didn't expect a car like this (i.e. Japanese high end "luxury") to have this many quirks. Quirks can give a car character, but not when they're too annoying (like the seatbelt issue), or make you feel like you didn't get your money's worth (BOSE).

- Used to... F-14 Tomcat RIO. I fly a desk now unfortunately. The ole Tomcat's days are numbered.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Great info...

thanks for the information. I am planning on a trip to Vegas and will monitor my G's performance for this items.