G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Those w/MT: Breaking your tires loose after 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericsherbrooke
Please....drive safe everyone.

We have a post here EVERYWEEK about someone who put his g35 in a curb/rail because VDC was off....

public road = VDC on

Track= VDC off if you want
Anyone else remember when there was no VDC on cars..........maybe I am just old

Anyways, drive safely whether or not VDC is on or off. Just b/c vehicles today have VDC, we should not test it.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jellysick
What is the meaning behind this? I was under the impression that 05's and 06's had more horse power than the 03-04 G35s. I'm honestly curious why an 03 would have a supposedly better chance to chirp 2nd to 3rd than an 05!??!

More high end hp, less low end torque on the rev up engine. With the MREV mod though it's all good...

Old 06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by hotsand5
Hey guys, I have had my G for about 3 weeks now and have never really beat on her yet...until last night. A new mitsubishi eclipse, which sounded modded, pulled next to me at a light and the passenger started talking ****. I didn't have enough time to hit the vsc button but launched good enough. I shifted so hard and fast from 1-2 that the rear wheels broke loose for a second, and then the traction kicked in and shut the car down for like another 2-3 seconds before letting me accelerate 100% again. Even though I lost time w/ that, I still won though. Anyways, my question is if the stability control was off, and I broke the wheels loose, would it be severe enough to spin the car out, or just give it a slight peel? I tried sifting the car fast again, and can reproduce it every time but am scared to turn the traction off now.
Anybody have any stories?
I don't think it will break loose enough where you will spin to the side but one time I felt the rear nudge a bit on a cool night with dry pavement. I also had a passenger. Funny thing is, every now and then I will try again and it never nudges like it did that night. So to answer your question, I wouldnt worry too much about a Mustang side to side action happening to you. I wouldn't try this in the rain though! I once floored it in 1st in the rain and almost lost control...bad move.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by budzync
Anyone else remember when there was no VDC on cars..........maybe I am just old

Anyways, drive safely whether or not VDC is on or off. Just b/c vehicles today have VDC, we should not test it.

You got a interesting point, strangely many driver around here are around 20/30 years old...(I am 29)

Seriously I dont consider myself having enough experience yet to push a rear wheel drive off it's limits. My previous cars were: civic, paseo, civic, civic, RSX... you get the point? Front wheel drive....

- My dad (50 and plus years old..) was fishtailling rear wheel "plymouth/dodge" while he was kid on garvel roads for fun....

- Me at 16 years old I was doing one wheel burnout with front wheel drive civics for fun...

Last edited by ericsherbrooke; 06-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Talking chirping 3rd on an 05 6mt

Originally Posted by Jellysick
What is the meaning behind this? I was under the impression that 05's and 06's had more horse power than the 03-04 G35s. I'm honestly curious why an 03 would have a supposedly better chance to chirp 2nd to 3rd than an 05!??!
As previously stated, less torque 260 vs 270. But to answer directly, yes you can chirp 3rd on a stock 05 6mt. I replaced the stock wheels and tires with Volks 19" 275s on the back and 245s up front and I still chirp 3rd (I thought with more contact patch on the back I might no longer be able to chirp on 3rd).

Old 06-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Man you guys really make me regret getting the 5AT!!! I live and drive on L.A. freeways and was just too dang lazy to go with the 6MT, but after all this talk of chirping my eyes can't help but get misty.

Thanks a lot!

Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
1-2 chirp is common 2-3 chirp happened on the track for me. I really dispise the infiniti VDC system, they need to learn something from the DSC.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I will think also about your automatic transmision the next time I will have to go trough one side of Montral city to another with 123817239878973987 stops and lights....

I started to do some one leg training off the g35 for my right leg because I started to get a bigger muscular mass on my left clutch pedal leg..

Old 06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha I chirp 1st - 2nd all the time, I also get the occasional 3rd gear chirp just be careful in the turns, you will definitely spin out, other than that have fun

Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer the original poster, it is possible to fishtail chirping into 2nd, but when you are turning, and like someone said, very easy in the rain. I fishtailed totally out of control, going into a turn and shifting hard into 2nd gear IN THE RAIN (VDC Off). I was lucky and nothing happened, but since then I never take my VDC off in the rain. Going straight and chirping in the 2nd will not fishtail enough to get you out of control. Have fun but be smart and safe.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
after some mod installs and ecu reset, the vdc kicked in at around 5500 wot in first gear (no gear change). cold clear night and optimal conditions.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by ericsherbrooke
I will think also about your automatic transmision the next time I will have to go trough one side of Montral city to another with 123817239878973987 stops and lights....

I started to do some one leg training off the g35 for my right leg because I started to get a bigger muscular mass on my left clutch pedal leg..

Can't really complain too much about my Auto, cuz I am LAAAZZZZYYYY! But what do you expect from an old man. As for the training keep it up man, otherwise instead of walking like a pimp, you're gonna be walking with a limp.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM
thanks for the response guys, I'll try w/ the VDC off next time (of course not in the rain though) and see how it handles, but maybe in a parking lot first. The power band on this car loves to start ripping the tires after 4,500rpm to redline. I put on new BF Goodrich G force comp. t/a's and even then at full throttle in first w/ VDC off the tires will start slipping after 4,500-5000 RPM. I usually never take off stability control on the street in my cars...only while autocrossing and on the track. It's great to learn the capabilities of your car while off public roads.
I'll also try to get a video of it to show you guys.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
OT: does anyone else notice that at WOT, second gear is very hard to get into? Its almost like its trying to tell you not to go into that gear but you just force it in anyway. Anyone else have this happen to them? Today, I was racing a friend's RSX Type S and second gear "locked" me out and I couldn't get it into second. I almost over revved the motor. Anyone share that same experience?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 AM
It has happened once, but I think from my own personal experience, that I was not aggressive enough with the sifter. The higher in the rpm range, the harder and faster you need to pull on the shifter. I this is my 4th car w/ a manual, but the worst was with the VW. Again, never a problem in this car...only when it's my fault. I either get too lazy and am either not pushing the clutch to the floor or am shifting too "light." It does suck missing a shift though, as others will notice your RMP hitting the limiter and you not going anywhere. Cloud 35, did you notice anything different that you were doing while this was happeneing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those w/MT: Breaking your tires loose after 1-2 shift