G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Huge Problem with Stillen Air Intake.. READ NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HUGE PROBLEM WITH STILLEN... READ NOW!!!

I love the way that every post in which someone mentions that they have the Z-intake duct turns into a discussion about 1) what is it, 2) what does it do, 3) how much does it cost, and 4) where can I buy one.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded
[i]HyperGround Kit
350Z intake duct
K&N drop-in
Aluminum pedals
50%-35% smoke tint

Old 09-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Running for his life!!

I have the stillen box and the only time my car stalled was in neutral going around 50 exiting the freeway. This only happened to me once and I shrugged it off. Til today I can't recreate the problem. I'm not ready to blame it on Stillen's cold air box.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 09-29-2003, 11:48 AM
G SQUAD

First off, why are you posting here and not on the phone with Stillen? They are the people that performed the R&D on the unit and they know what your problem will be.

Second - what logic brought you to take the car out of gear at 90 MILES PER HOUR? "No wear on the tranny?!!?!" Do you normally coast out of gear? What the hell were you thinking? I'm sure someone will say, "but it shouldn't have happened," blablabla, but the fact of the matter is that if you were driving safely, (keeping it in gear) it wouldn't have happened. Its like a 12 year old taking a car out for a joy ride and someone rear ending him. Sure, he didn't cause the accident, but he shouldn't have been there in the first place!

Call Stillen and get it worked out, their opinion is the only that matters. I wouldn't go blaming the car for the problem. When you're installing AFTERMARKET mods, you have to expect that your car might not take to them, that doesn't mean its defective. Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.

03.5 6spd DG/G aero pk/kit
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM

Just for arguments sake, because I love my stillen air box, has anyone tried taking their car out of gear with the stock air box? Also, the grounding kits have been known to lower the idle, does this happen to people who do not have grounding kits as well?

Luv My G

Old 09-29-2003, 05:03 PM

Granted 90 mph in neutral is a bit nuts since but - I guess the point is that if the car shut off like that then it means something is not running properly and I think he is properly concerned that there may be permanent problems to his MAF from the intake (expensive repair $) or an excessively lean situation that could harm the engine. I was one of the early Injen people with this problem - never knew till someone told me how to replicate it - then I did it myself, mainly cause I never went into neutral over about 50 mph and only then if I was coasting to a long signal or something (which by the way - anyone who NEVER takes it out of gear to coast to a stop - you are losing one of the major benefits of MPG in a stick and unnecessarily wearing your engine - it's not improper, it's just not usually done at excessively high speed).

It's a MAF problem caused by the Intake. Never really heard of this with Stillen, but it is why Injen had to redesign the intake for the 6MT because it would do the same thing at 80 mph. It will go away if you put your original intake back on - or maybe Stillen will give you a new unit (I dunno cause I have an Injen). I can say that once Injen redesigned it the problem disappeared. But definitely call Stillen - it is their product so they should be made aware of the problems

Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Running for his life!!

I'll test to see if the car stalls, if I can. It's difficult to reach speeds of 90mph in traffic (LA). Also would you beleive I haven't driven my car over 90mph?

G35C 6MT / AMG E55<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by wreck on 09/29/03 02:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-29-2003, 06:47 PM

For all those who say, "Why would you do such a thing?", assume that you decide to downshift from 6th to 4th while going 90MPH to get some extra acceleration. Now assume you miss the shift (I know - that's a big assumption) - you would be in neutral for a second or two. If your car stalls during this, you would be most unhappy.

I have driven a dozen manual transmission cars in my time, and NONE of them have ever stalled if shifted to neutral at highway speeds.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded
[i]HyperGround Kit
350Z intake duct
K&N drop-in
Aluminum pedals
50%-35% smoke tint

Old 09-29-2003, 08:54 PM

wreck wrote:<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Also would you beleive I haven't driven my car over 90mph?

<hr></blockquote>Seriously?
Is that true of just the G, or the AMG as well?
I've now lost track of how many times I've hit triple digits in my Coupe.
To be honest, it's kind of disappointing. You can barely tell the difference between 110 and 55 - other than how fast you're passing other cars! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]
But then, on the PA Turnpike you don't pass ANY cars unless you're doing 95...
The G's ride is so incredibly stable, smooth and confident that there really isn't any great thrill to hitting 100 + MPH.
I'll let you know if I get over 130 though, that might make it a bit more fun. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 09-29-2003, 09:17 PM
Running for his life!!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Seriously?

<hr></blockquote>
Just with the G. With the AMG, It feels like I can get to 90mph by the time the G get to 60mph.
I just don't drive fast anymore. I must be getting old.

Stall Test
I was only able to 85mph today (during afternoon traffic). I got on the freeway and floored it until 85-88mph. I put the car to nuetral and the rpms dropped to the first line. It didn't stall, but the needle usually does not go that low.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 09-30-2003, 01:05 AM
G SQUAD

Wreck, is your car's engine stock or do you have anything in it? I think I'll see what my car does tomorrow for ***** and giggles.

03.5 6spd DG/G aero pk/kit
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Running for his life!!

Hey Balzac72, my car has the stillen intake and grounding wires.

During my 40minute commute in the morning, I was able to stall the car twice. I would accelerate to 80+mph quickly and drop the clutch down. Most of the time you will see the idle go below the first line stuggling to get above the line. I still didn't have a chance to push it up to 90+mph. Even at 5:30am there are still alot of cars on the freeway. The second time I was able to get the car to stall was 50mph. I would say I tried about 15 times during my commute.

I'm not ready to blame the stillen box for this. I'll blame it after I put my stock air filter back on this weekend and the problem goes away. I do want other G Coupe 6mt without any after market air intakes to try it out. Let up know if the engine rpms goes real low.

Thanks.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 09-30-2003, 12:29 PM

This is just a matter of the MAF getting too much of a reading initially. This happens with alot of intakes for alot of cars. Typically they go away after the ECU learns the new air coming in, after a few weeks or so.

04' G35 / 6MT / Tein Basic Coilovers
Volk 19" GT-7 Gunmetal

Old 09-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Running for his life!!

But I've had the intake for 6 months now. Anyways, if the original poster confirms that this problem goes away with the stock intake, I'll just put mine back on. I didn't feel any difference between the stock and stillen intake anyways.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 09-30-2003, 07:52 PM
In Search of Magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wreck then get the Z-pipe too and you WILL feel the difference. Trust me thats how I felt but after the Z tube I love it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Huge Problem with Stillen Air Intake.. READ NOW!!!