G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Comparing my coupe to sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comparing my coupe to sedan

at least we can agree that our SUV's are the most badass on the streets by far. I get stopped by more people while im in the FX asking me millions of questions then i do in the G. ohhh well

now, back to my midterm essay on the world systems in 1560. OH JOY!

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's

Old 10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

*sniffle* Aww... You're making me all nostalgic for my school days *sniffle*

HAHAHAHAHAAHA... I mean... *sniffle* [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So many people comment on both... I love giving it a little extra gas and having that exhaust give its booty-ful note. I once pulled up to my drycleaner in my G and she said "Don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you a little young to have such a stunning car?". I explained it was a graduation gift from college, but I'd worked my butt off for it. She said "all I got was a CD when I graduated. I hate you."

I went back last week and was in the FX. She came out, said "oh god, not another one... what's up with you??" jokingly, then said "Now this is just... wow." I love it when people are at a loss for words [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Hey guys, Finally done with school for the week. Here is what I want to add.

Lets start here.....

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

In order to beat AT sedan, z needs to shift perfectly or near perfectly due to same power(2-3% less drivetrain loss is almost ignorable here)... how many people can shift perfectly everytime, anywhere when ur racing somebody?
remember this, you will not get your personal best time on the street...

<hr></blockquote>

You hit it right on the nose! To me, it was a decision between having to have two hand occupied when you drive, having to shift perfectly every time, and have the general fatigue from driving in traffic (a fact of like in SoCal) VERSUS pretty much the flip side of the coin.

I will not repeat all I said about the coupe vs. sedan argument. But comments like this ....

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

G35Gnome (Enthusiast)
10/03/03 09:58 AM

Big_brother that aint right, the sedan isnt ugly just not as aggresive looking as the coupe. I myslef wouldnt buy the sedan ever because I dont want a 4 door car. But there are plent of peepz out there that like the sedan for what it is. As far as sedan being cheaper and allowing for a lot more power for the same price as the coupe, well you could get a used coupe and throw everything into it including a supercharger and pay the same as a new sedan and smoke it. Getting a sedan you pay for what you get, the coupe has a higher premium on it because its is a sexy biatch. I see them like this, coupe a wild smoking blonde and the sedan a cute older more serious brunette sisters

<hr></blockquote>

... really make me convinced that some of us are definietly biased. I am not saying it's abad thing,... hey, you love your car... But as far as the argument you presented, Gnome, is totally invalid..... used coupe vs. a new sedan... Talk about apples and oranges!!!! What about a used sedan vs. a used coupe... how about then?...... How is your "objective" price point comparison now?

Again, it is a matter of taste toward the external aesthetics! some call the sedan "ugly"... whatever, those people's opinion on this forum is really dispositive of their degree of objectivity.... Enough said.

Gurgen

Plus, I like brunettes!

Also, G35 Fanatic, thanks a lot for the comment, means a lot to me. If you liked my car then, wait till the next meet,... Thanks a gain

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 10/03/03 03:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-03-2003, 07:16 PM

Wow!!! The fact that everyone is so pasionate about what they are driving (coupe or sedan), tells me that both cars kick A$$ and everyone is happy with their purchase. Has anyone bought the sedan and wished they bought the coupe or visa versa?

04 Sedan. Desert Platinum, Premi Pkg, sport tuned.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Darn right we all love our cars...

I did once wish I had a coupe-- I was selected as DD since my car was able to hold the most people comfortably [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] Someone got in the backseat with muddy shoes and sullied my Infiniti logo on the mat. If I'd had a coupe, I doubt three people over 6" tall would've elected my car... That's a definite advantage! Now whenever I go out with them, I take the GT so no one wants to get in the backseat [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 PM

Exactly, thats what I meant by it, people are different and have different preferences, I like blondes you like brunettes, Great! Everybody is happy. And like I said I wouldnt buy it, I shouldnt say ever because hey, if I had kids and needed the back room I probobly would, but since I dont and am a single young guy the coupe is my bag. As far as the price thing you compared new to new, its the same car if you buy new or used so you cant compare performance to what you paid for the car, I am sorry its dumb. There are a lot of much cheaper cars (like the neon sr4 or whatever its called) that will blow the doors of any stock G for half the price. Also I have driven the sedan before, I did post about it here, I thought it was nice, great acceleration, better sound, but it missed some of the quality of the coupe like handling, seats and of course looks, thats what you pay more for! And I will say it here once more for the record I have full respect for the sedan, its a G afterall.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 PM

I think the DD comes with the coupe or the sedan. Everyone wants to ride in the G.

04 Sedan. Desert Platinum, Premi Pkg, sport tuned.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Yeah... you should see the duties I get when I drive the FX! That's fun, though, cuz I just put on the Family DVD in the back seat and let them zone out so I can enjoy the drive.

G

Old 10-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I couldn't have said it any better- that thing is pure joy. Every so often I let a good friend take it for a spin, but only those that I trust with a great car.

There is no major noticable difference between the 35 and 45-- 35hp and no other major changes. With the bigger engine comes more weight, so it's really sort of a "six of one, half-dozen of the other" situation. If you look at Infiniti's books, you'll find that most of their FX sales are the 35 after test drives... and this is not from people who can't afford the difference, but rather those who experience it. There was a good article in Money Magazine recently talking about how the 35 has stolen much of the Cayenne's sales... something like 7/10 FX buyers were originally going to get the Cayenne, but switched over. Now those are good numbers...

G

Old 10-04-2003, 10:20 AM

Read my posts carfefully again and tell me when I was disrespectful to the sedan. Its a great car, but I prefer to be driving a coupe. Any G and Z get my respect, auto or manual, black or white, its all good. And yes I have been slaving day in and day out to get my coupe also.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had one of the dealers non sport loaner sedan's. I can certainly see why someone would draw some lines of distinction between how the loaner feels and how a coupe feels. Since the non sport use's softer springs and softer dampeners (even less dampening control in proportion to it's spring stiffness I think). Automatic transmission nonwithstanding. However if we were to move to the sedan with sport suspension, thier isn't so much of a line to draw. All the G's use the same diameter sway bars. The spring rate's on the sedan with sport are almost the same as the coupe. One key difference is that the coupe, get's shorter damperners and shorter springs for a slightly lowered center of gravity, that's going to help things a bit. The valving in the dampener's between the car's is the same. (It's the Z that get's much more aggresive dampener valving).

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 10-04-2003, 11:30 AM

Gsedan35,

Thanks for your insight on the suspension systems.

I have two questions that perhaps you could help with.

1 - According to Edmunds the Sedan's ground clearance is 5.51" and the Coupe's is 6.3". Do you think this equates to a slightly lower center of gravity for the Sedan?

2 - How do the 350Z springs and struts work compared to a Sedan with the suspension package? I was curious because of the additional 150 lbs. the Sedan packs over the Z.

Thanks in advance,

DaveO

Old 10-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd have to give the coupe the nod for lower center of gravity because of it using shorter springs. It's not going to have different suspension mounting points to cancel that out. Likely the lowest point on each vehicle is a trivial matter vs. where each vehicle carries the majority of it's mass, where again I'd have to give the coupe the nod all things being the same except the shorter springs as noted.

On ? 2. No different than if you had a passenger in a Z. That would equal your 150lbs difference. Their is no reason why anyone should view how they equip their sedan, suspension wise as hugely different from the Z as to need to employ any meaningfull difference in philosophy. Pick what meet's your goal's, if that happens to actually be something ment for the Z, have at it. If the specs look to you to be wrong, avoid. For instance I'm not comfortable with the Jic's rear spring rate for the 350Z application. I feel that on the sedan that the rear rate is a tad to high to allow me to maintain the balance I have now. But I don't want the rate's to be equal like with the Jic's coupe application. To that end Jic is willing to do custom rear rate's for me. I'm just waiting for my wallet to say it's all ok (grin).

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing my coupe to sedan