G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Comparing my coupe to sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comparing my coupe to sedan

i completely agree.. but post that in the sedan section and see what they have to say

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's

Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They don't come stock with the sport suspension, titanium trim, etc. You have to order that stuff, same as the coupe [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] If you have issues with our nimbleness or shiny trim, come check out a full-loaded one... there's a difference, I assure you [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I may be only 23, but I know my cars... I've got 6, and each for a specific purpose. I drove the coupe and sedan and chose the sedan... the coupe's marginal performance boost was outweighed by the sedan's increase in practicality afforded to me. Now, if I just wanted it for fun and nothing else, I'd be coupe-ing it right now [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] It'd be such a nice toy to have, and the styling's pretty damn sweet...

Go read the "My loaner sedan is faster than my coupe" post in this forum, you'll find some testimony from your fellow coupe-heads. I realize I'm a sedan driver, and that makes me an ignorant slow-poke with an ugly car ([img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]), but I think it has its merits.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

PS. I agree with you about the annoying nature of the "manumatic" mode. The auto shifts perfectly for straight-line accelleration if you want it (it's known to beat the 6MTs off the starting line pretty easily), but I miss some of the "connected" feeling I get on my MT cars. I do, however, enjoy it in city driving and long road trips. We've got too many stop signs around my area to justify buying another 6MT [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] I just use it when I'm driving around the twisties or stopping, as I find it's very responsive when I'm not gunning it.

G

Old 10-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geobau pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. the thing is 12,000 miles on that car is like 30K of normal use. You know people beat the $hit out of those loaners. so yes it might have a few loose ends. Also I am sure that your loaner doesn't have the sport suspension. This makes a big difference as you already know with your coupe. I would suggest you drive a loaded sedan like mine. I think you would have a different impression of a sedan.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

112493-Our G35.JPG

Old 10-03-2003, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6MT sedans do get an LSD for '04, too bad those of use already with sedans are SOL.

The auto is slow to shift in the manual mode because it's not a tiptronic like a BMW or Porsche. It's just a top-gear limiter. It doesn't shift when you push the stick. The number you select on the dash with the stick is the max gear it'll use.. but it'll still be an automatic making it's own choice between 1 and N, where N is the number displayed on the dash.

The sport suspension is plenty nimble. I autocross my car, and I think driver skill level is the only thing keeping me from beating a WRX -- but I'm getting a little closer to their times every month. Of course, the coupe's suspension will be even tighter.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-03-2003, 02:00 AM

Yep, every time I end up with a sedan loaner I find myself longing for my coupe for the same reasons. Floaty, less responsive transmission, not as fun. But this week I got an FX35 and I have to say I was VERY impressed with that thing.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

All three of these cars need the sports package to be fun. I've got a loaner FX35 right now that's not too much fun, but that's because I've got a loaded FX35 sitting next to it, so I know how it SHOULD feel. As for the G, same thing goes. Get one loaded, then opine [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

Old 10-03-2003, 02:56 AM

Hey loren

You are comparing apples and oranges. A sedan with a sports suspension that can be had for about $400 will feel very close tot he coupe (granted not the same). I chose to sedan for its practicality, mainly ability to seat 4 or even 5 people comfortably fora car of this class), and most importantly for its sleeper look.

for some reason the sedan's considerable advantages are rarely mentioned. Specifically, the 80lb loss in weight with yet a lot more room to lose (like its 50 lb resonator that I swapped out) and inferior (greater) turning radius (to name the 2 most important ones). Consequently, the sedan stands to gain a lot more effective horsepower from ANY bolt-on peromance upgrade. If you upggrade the springs, swaybars, and even go for more major upgrades such as the exhaust (from which you stand to lose more weight than the coupe would), headers, plenum, intake, and more importantly the ECU (by technosquare), you will far surpass not only a G35 coupe (even maybe a Z), but MAYBE even (and I am going out on a limb here) a modified one!

And here is the kicker in all of this: the sedan can be had for 400 bucks over invoice, wheras the coupe can hardly be had for anything less than the MSRP. We are talking $3-5K difference, wich is about twisc what I spent on my sedan, and I am already beating a 6MT Z by about 10HP at the wheels!

In case you think I am blowing smoke, and in case you haven't seen this already, check out my dyno. A 6MT perfmormance Z (non-track wheels) on this very same dyno (the ones used for the Z mag's exhaust shootout) pulled 229rwhp.

I and I haven't done the TD Stillen catback or headers that are in my plans yet, at which point I will still be at about the same pricepoint as a stock coupe or the Z, with A LOT more HP.

Don't knock the sedan. THe coupe does look "in your face" meaner! It's advantage is more of an aesthetic one at the end of the day, a subjective and nonetheless valid characteristc! Don't get me wrong, I am not flaming anyone (not even remotely). We are all G people here!

Just give the sedan the respect that it deserves, as it most certainy does. It has an element of surprise, a formidable characteristic and something that IMHO the coupe does not!

Best wishes, happy modding
Gurgen

Old 10-03-2003, 04:33 AM

Nice call Gurgen, that post is very true.
Sleeper!!!!

Old 10-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Sorry the sedan is ugly. Looks like an Altima from behind and the hood and headlights are up higer. I agree that you can get the sedan for just over invoice and the coupe for close to list. But you get what you pay for. I disagree with you about the mods. It is exactly the same engine so yes you might get a bigger gain in horsepower with the chip put that was because you started out lower. You mention all the mods to the sedan to make it more powerfull than the coupe but if you did all those same mods to the coupe there would be no difference expept the weight. Better the extra weight than a whole lotta ugly.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:57 PM

i wasnt too impressed with my sedan loaner.. but i absolutely love gurgen's sedan. that is one kickass [censored] car. Even beat my 6mt coupe

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's

Old 10-03-2003, 12:58 PM

Big_brother that aint right, the sedan isnt ugly just not as aggresive looking as the coupe. I myslef wouldnt buy the sedan ever because I dont want a 4 door car. But there are plent of peepz out there that like the sedan for what it is. As far as sedan being cheaper and allowing for a lot more power for the same price as the coupe, well you could get a used coupe and throw everything into it including a supercharger and pay the same as a new sedan and smoke it. Getting a sedan you pay for what you get, the coupe has a higher premium on it because its is a sexy biatch. I see them like this, coupe a wild smoking blonde and the sedan a cute older more serious brunette sisters

Old 10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

If anyone's interested, I've got a letter from a friend and engineer at Nissan Corporate (Japan, not Cali) who detailed the opinion in their office on the difference between the coupe and sedan. I'm not going to post it here b/c I told him I wouldn't.

G

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing my coupe to sedan