G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Car=1 month old Ticket=1 hour old SAVED BY THE NO FRONT PLATE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car=1 month old Ticket=1 hour old SAVED BY THE NO FRONT PLATE?

So got pulled over in my one month old G, doin 80 in a 65 (freakin bogus pull over if you ask me, in LA? 80? Who's NOT driving 80 really?). Though i suppose i was lucky, when i saw his lights, i looked down to my speed at 84 (not 80) so whatever...

Anyway...the story continues.

I'm polite, 'hadn't been drinking, no I didn't realize i'd been speeding, just heading home with my wife, its a new car i guess i didn't realize i'd been speeding, i thought i was going the speed of traffic...'

He comes back like, 7 min's later...asks me to step out of the vehicle, issues me a fix it ticket since i had my registration, but hadn't put on my plates yet. So, got out of the speeding ticket, thanks to my no plates. SWEEET.

Now just have to figure out a temp. mod to get my front plate on to get it signed off....

Anyway, just sharing. Sometimes a fix it ticket is a blessing in disguise..one reason to NOT have a front plate? (or any plate? i don't know...)

peace.
- chris

OH! AND DAMNIT! I STEPPED OUT OF MY CAR WHEN I GOT HOME, AND RAAANDOMLY LOOKED AT MY FRONT BUMPER, TO FIND A FIRST SCRATCHES. ONE MAIN SCRATCH TO BE BUFFED OUT, ONE CHIP OUT OF THE PAINT JUUUST BELOW THE GRILL WHERE THE ACTUAL BLACK PAINT STARTS. SOME ***** MUSTA BACKED INTO ME OR IT HAPPENED AT THE VALET AT THE CLUB. GRRRRR.....

Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
use a binder clip as a temp solution to put on your plate

Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Not sure about LA, but where I'm at, no front plate = a speeding ticket that has to be signed off too...

Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
I duct taped my front plate on for my state inspection.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
Not sure about LA, but where I'm at, no front plate = a speeding ticket that has to be signed off too...
No front plate = speeding ticket? How do you figure? Lived in the Bay Area 30 years never had that experience on various cars, or ever heard of that.
It's a fix it ticket the last I heard....Like to see that law...per CA DMV I don't see where you can get charged a point for no front plate.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got lucky my friend haha

Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Funner567
got lucky my friend haha
It's BS unless you can show me the 'law', friend haha.

Points (against your insurance) are issued for moving violations, including driving in the commuter lane.
No front plates is a 'fix it' ticket, as long as you have a rear plate with tabs that have not expired.

"07-21-2006, 01:52 AM
HIDPLANET
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150

Yes the law here states that you have to have the front plate installed in plain view. Ive received many tickets for it but they are easy to fix. I just have a piece of double sided tape on the front plate so when I get it signed off by the CHP, they see one on there but I remove it before I leave the lot"

I am not suggesting anyone break the law.. but many of us have been 'lucky' but the infraction is minor.

Last edited by fortified; 07-30-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
No front plate = speeding ticket? How do you figure? Lived in the Bay Area 30 years never had that experience on various cars, or ever heard of that.
It's a fix it ticket the last I heard....Like to see that law...per CA DMV I don't see where you can get charged a point for no front plate.
I meant if you were in his situation when you get caught speeding and don't have a front plate...

Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
From the CA DMV Website:

California Vehicle Code
Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the copy/paste of the code, I think the real discussion was centering on the penalty phase.
I think we are all informed now on both, I know I am, (and sorry for any confusion) whether we are any better for it remains to be seen.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They wont sign off on taped plates anymore - they have to see a bracket and screws.

You can attach a full frame plate kit, with screws, to a piece of 6" wood to the tow hitch bolt area behind the plate...that way it is secured and removable. you can also use a few pieces of wood in that area and tie wraps with the plate screwed to the mount.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
My state (GA) does not require front plates, thankfully. My car didn't come with the front license plate bracket and don't care but I'm curious. Does infinity not make a front license plate bracket?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry bout your scratch and I know the feeling. Was waxing mine and found a small scratch on my door where some A$$HOLE dinged me.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:27 AM
isn't there...

isn't there some kind of 'you can only have 3 fix it tix before some consequence' type of thing? (i'm in CA if anyone has an answer...)

Just curious, cuz if i can just get as many fix it tix as i want, i'll just do somthign temp, but if i'll have to eventually make a permanent installment, may get the stillen plate part that screws into the tow hitch...

Question, if you get a part that screws into the tow hitch, can't someone just come and unscrew your whole license plate frame? As i ask this, i realize anyone can come and steal a licence plate with a simple screwdriver...whatever.

-chris

Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chriscollins
freakin bogus pull over if you ask me, in LA? 80? Who's NOT driving 80 really?

Yea you're right in the sense that everyone drives faster than the posted speed limit. With that said, we should all get tickets. Unfortunately there's really only 1 cop to every 426 residents of Los Angeles. So basically whoever gets pulled over, you in this case, is the unlucky bastard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car=1 month old Ticket=1 hour old SAVED BY THE NO FRONT PLATE?