G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clear bra - Did I get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra - Did I get ripped off?

Hey Guys,
I just got a clear bra applied to my G35 6MT.
Can you let me know if this is how it's suppose to be.

It doesn't cover the entire hood just the front half, same with the side.
Also, there are some spots (very few) where it looks like a small rock or something fell inbetween the sheet and the car when they were applying it. They said that it's impossible to get it 100% perfect. One of my friends said the same thing.
The spot is not noticeable unless really search for it.

They had a choice of avery, 3m and this brand called Vortex?
Start's with a "v" i don't remember exactly what it's called; but they went with the "Vortex" one without asking me. The cashier said it's top of the line and that they use it when they do european cars like the lambo parked outside.

The total price came out to $540 even.

Opinions please. Should I go back and complain about the smal specks?
should i ask them to put a different sheet on since they didn't ask me what brand?

Thanks in advanced for your opinions.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Is it Venture?? It's much clearer than 3M but less UV protection. I've heard that you get a Lifetime warranty with them (not sure).
I would definitely get them to do it perfectly. You are paying perfect money right. If they want 100% of the money they should get it 100%. JMHO though.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
540 sounds about right. if you want to go another brand then yes you should go back since you guys never agreed upon a brand. though some dealers will do that..if you dont specify then they can give you what they want.

i think most people here use 3m..

im still looking into investing in a clear bra

ill do it eventually but there are so many other tempting mods

Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had one (Invinca-shield) for over 3 years now and they are NEVER perfect because of the complex curves in the G hood. Mine covers about half the hood and the front third of the fender. I only did the 3 piece set and did not do the bumper and surrounding pieces. No doubt it has saved me from some rock chips. My gripe is I have rock chips above the clear bra. A close inspection of my car reveals white chips (my car is red) on the fenders and hood, both doors and the rear quarter panels from rocks. I guess I should have done the whole car in clear bra!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Research the company brand on the kit. There are some brands out there that are better that 3M. Second, the dont cover your whole hood. Mine is up about a third of the way and thats pretty standard. The specs underneath the film should not be there. That is from dirt betting underneath it when they do the application. When they install them, they should be doing it in a clean room environment so they dont have that occur. I wouldnt worry abotu it too much though if there is only one or two. but if there are a lot of them, tell them to redo it. It can be done "perfect", and for your money you should get what you ask for. I was trained to do 3M installs so I know a little about it. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by thommyboy0885
Research the company brand on the kit. There are some brands out there that are better that 3M. Second, the dont cover your whole hood. Mine is up about a third of the way and thats pretty standard. The specs underneath the film should not be there. That is from dirt betting underneath it when they do the application. When they install them, they should be doing it in a clean room environment so they dont have that occur. I wouldnt worry abotu it too much though if there is only one or two. but if there are a lot of them, tell them to redo it. It can be done "perfect", and for your money you should get what you ask for. I was trained to do 3M installs so I know a little about it. Good luck.
I think there is some truth there. I am told that the Avery film is actually better than the 3M but is a bit more difficult to install.

-GT

Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
If it is a ventureshield then that is a good brand and should carry a lifetime warranty. I have had the ventureshield on my car for about a year and it still looks exactly the same as the day they installed it.

The only thing I would be concerned about are the "spots" you described. If it is just air/water it should clear up some over time. If it is something foreign (like a rock as you stated) I am not sure how that would happen unless the installers were just careless. I would make them fix that.

One note on UV protection, typically you would not want UV protection from a clearbra. You want the paint under the clearbra to fade at the same rate as the rest of the car so you don't end up with a multi-colored hood over time, especially if you ever take the clearbra off.

EDIT: The price sounds in line with what I came up with in my research.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
clear bra

I had the Avery clear bra done (only front bumper) for $300. I was told the Avery looks better as it is less shiny and not as hard as the 3M, but you have to care for it a little more. The guy did a great job on mine, no imperfections anywhere, although I waited two weeks before I had it done, so I have a few minor nicks and scratches under the bra.

He also gave me a plastic cleaner/protectant used in the aerospace industry and on boats and motorcycles, which I spray on a few times a month. It protects and cleans.

I will say the bra looks and works great, I do a lot of highway driving. I did get one rock that actually broke through the bra and made a slight tear, must have been a big rock. They don't protect against everything!!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for all your posts and opinions..
There are both bubbles AND foreign objects.
there's only one small speck of foreign object though...

And yes, Venture was the name. (hey vortex sounds cool too )
I hope they'll redo it, otherwise I'm going to take pictures of the foreign objects and post it on here.

I got this done from Sticker City over in Sherman Oakes.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
StickerCity said they offer a 5 year warranty so they will redo it if it they find that there are artifacts in between the body and the clear bra. Sweet...

And they informed me that they gave me Avery.

Can I wash and wax it like it's not there?

I got my first bug splatter on the way to work today too and it didn't come off easy. I just used a wet paper towl and it smudged the bug. I didn't want to rub too hard since it's still not securely on my car.

Any suggestions on removing those pesty bugs?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Make them fix it due to the trapped objects and have them use a small needle to allow the escape of any water/ bubbles left over. The material costs them very little, so it's all about labor. I have put 3 on my various cars now and it is NOT easy on a G35, but if they take the time it is well worth the price you paid them.