G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

purchasing an Intake system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purchasing an Intake system

OEM Z-Tube...but i was wondering if i shud go with the K&N drop in filter or get the JWT popcharger. Whats the different between these two ? I wanted to get one of the Z-tube combo's because I didnt want to take any risks in getting my engine hydrolocked, but I was looking at a Nismo Cold air intake that comes equipped with a bypass valve. Do bypass valve's really prevent the water from getting in the engine ?

I am trying to purchase something thats good in performance and that has no risk in gettin my engine hydrolocked. I want it safe as the stock airbox.

What do you guys think ?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
lol first of all..i just have to say this: please use the search function

but im feeling generous (lol) so here it does

and intake mod will give you so little (if any) power gains that you wont be able to feel it. you might feel like you feel some gains but thats most likely a result of the louder sound and our minds tend to think that more sound always equals more power - but this isnt always the case.

the p/c will give you a louder sound and therefore make you think youre going faster but the k&n drop in will suffice as well - i am very happy with the sound that i got from my k&n drop in. however, there is some debate going on that k&n drop ins let too much dirt in but i have yet to actually see any evidence of this. so far, from what i have read it is just talk.

you can also get the stillen hi flor airbox. it is similar to your stock airbox but it allows you to use stillens cone filter.

heres a list IMO of what is loudest (starting with the loudest first)
ztube & p/c
ztube & stillen
ztube & k&n
ztube & stock filter
gtube & stock filter

im pretty sure you only have to worry about hydrolocking with cai but i think stillen has a fix for that now. IIRC it is just a sleeve or sock (whichever term you prefer) that goes over the cone filter and its suppose to stop water from getting in.

and i repeat..this mod wont give you any (noticeable) gains.

this mod is purely for sound IMHO..

but dont get me wrong..its worth it

Last edited by Calvin; 08-03-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Overglorified Altima
btw if you want more info..just search and youll find more than youll ever need to know about intake systems

good luck!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Gains?

Did you feels gains after installing your plenum + intake then?

Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
lol first of all..i just have to say this: please use the search function

but im feeling generous (lol) so here it does

and intake mod will give you so little (if any) power gains that you wont be able to feel it. you might feel like you feel some gains but thats most likely a result of the louder sound and our minds tend to think that more sound always equals more power - but this isnt always the case.

the p/c will give you a louder sound and therefore make you think youre going faster but the k&n drop in will suffice as well - i am very happy with the sound that i got from my k&n drop in. however, there is some debate going on that k&n drop ins let too much dirt in but i have yet to actually see any evidence of this. so far, from what i have read it is just talk.

you can also get the stillen hi flor airbox. it is similar to your stock airbox but it allows you to use stillens cone filter.

heres a list IMO of what is loudest (starting with the loudest first)
ztube & stillen
ztube & p/c
ztube & k&n
ztube & stock filter
gtube & stock filter

im pretty sure you only have to worry about hydrolocking with cai but i think stillen has a fix for that now. IIRC it is just a sleeve or sock (whichever term you prefer) that goes over the cone filter and its suppose to stop water from getting in.

and i repeat..this mod wont give you any (noticeable) gains.

this mod is purely for sound IMHO..

but dont get me wrong..its worth it

Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
i just intalled a crome ztube and the stillen box not much louder till you really get on it but it has a cool wisckle

Old 08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by scorcher76
Did you feels gains after installing your plenum + intake then?
haha to answer this honestly i think i did but only cause of the sound lol so yeh i cannot honestly say that i definitely feel it pulling harder

but it feels/sounds like it does

Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
get a Injen CAI and dont worry about your car hydrolocking...where do you live? if your really worried get the ztube/popcharger combo. Now if you get a CAI and then a by-pass valve it defeats the purpose of the COLD air intake...so if your gunna get a CAI and then a by pass just get the ztube/pop charger