G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My Little Horror Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Little Horror Story

As most of you guys know, my car was dented about a month ago by Best Buy employee's as they were loading a TV into my car. This is where it begins.

I got a letter from the Best Buy Insurance company telling me that they werent going to pay for the damages ($500, take out a dent and repaint whole right rear quarter panel) because they say it wasnt they fault at all. This got me very mad, because they took the word of one employee over mine and my friend, who was a witness. They didnt even call her to get her side of the story. When this all happened my car was about 3 wks old with 500 miles. This ruined my weekend, and I have been trying to get in touch with my insurance rep. from Best Buy, which seems to be an impossible task. She never returns any phone calls and when she calls me all she leaves is a brief msg, saying call me back. Whenever I call her, the phone calls go directly to her voice mail. I am thinking about calling Cosumer Affairs. I really dont know how to approach this, could someone give me some insight?

Anyways, the weekend passes and on Sunday night I drive to San Diego, back to my apt. On my way there I hit something on the freeway going 70mph that makes me literally jump up and down in my seat. I then here this whistling noise coming from my right rear tire. I pull off the freeway and as I am doing so, my low tire pressure warning light turns on. I pull into a gas station, get out and look at my tire. The tire was half flat, but wasnt losing any air.

I call roadside assistance, tow truck arrives and takes off tire. On the back side of the tire the rim bends inwards. I know that a new rim costs about $800 and a new tire cost about $200-300. I was really worried by this point. A day passes and I call a Infiniti Dealer. They tell me to take it to Preston Tires in San Diego to see if the rim could be bent back into shape. Keep in mind that the front side of the rim is in perfect condition, like all the others. I take it to Preston Tires and they say they could fix it for $100. I give them the OK and two days later I come to pick up the tire. The tire turned out to be ok, and the rim just needed to be bent back into shape. They take my car to the back, put the tire on and bring it out to the front. I inspect the tire and rim and to my suprise, what do I see? A huge gash on one of the bottom spokes. Upon further Inspection, I also see a tiny curb rash. I show this to the technician there and he calls the manager/owner. I tell him "These scratches were never here before!" He tell me the tire came in like this. "It was already there." This is complete BS. If you look and my other tires, you will not see one thing wrong with them. The manager keeps insisting they were already there and proceeds to go about his buisiness. I try to reason with him, but I can see he isnt going to do a damn thing about it. I wanted to kick his *** so badly. I left very angry and dissapointed.

It seems as thought, from the first day I got my car, that its cursed. Whether its dents, scratches, bird crap, etc. I wanted to keep it perfect, but the world has it out for me.

Well, I just wanted to tell you people in San Deigo, if you have any problems with tires or rims, DO NOT TAKE IT TO PRESTON"S PERFORMANCE CENTER!!!!

What can I do to give this guy hell and hopefully make him pay for my rim? Can I report him to the Better Buisness Bureau ?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6M/T
Premium - Navi - Aero - Trunk Mat

Old 10-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Little Horror Story

Start by doing this. You'd be surprised at how often it works. Right a letter about everything and go to the best buy website and find the emails to all the uppermanagement. Then send the email to every single best buy employee you can get a hold of. Threaten that you will be contacting the better business beureau among other places immediately. then contact the person who has not given you the money back and tell them what you have done.

I used to work in a call center and was in charge of this kind of stuff. Threats of the BBB and emails to higher ups change peoples minds very fast. I did this myself at a local motorcycle dealership and quickly got it resolved.

04 Sedan. Obs. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. 35% Tint on sides, 20% back, Hyper-Ground kit and Stillen high flow on delivery.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:37 PM

Did the best buy employee deny he did the dent? I had some recent problems with best buy and got into a loud argument with the store manager. The guy walked off on me in front of everybody. I had to go through hell to get this solved. I would go to hell and back to have BB pay for the dent, since they did it. About the rim, that doesn't look too good. But if you're 100% sure the stuff wasn't there, keep fighting them. I've learned you have to be an a-hole when dealing with services. I'm having a real hard time taking my car in to get tinted windows cause I'm guessing they're going to screw up something. So if I go in, I'm telling them up front, if they screw something up, they're paying for it. It may sound like you're an a-hole, but you get they're attention up front. If they don't feel up to the task they can pass on it. I took the Maxima I had to get polished recently, and they buffed the paint off the bumper in one spot. Since the bumper plastic underneath is black, I didn't care. The cars still had bugs stucked to it, even after the polish and wax. I had them re-do it. But getting into those situations stinks. So from now on, I'm asking 1,000 questions and laying everything on the table before I let anybody touch my car. If they're not up to the task, they can pass.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 PM

MrElussive - I guess I could have started to yell at the manager of the wheel shop, but thats just not me. To tell you the truth, I am not 100% sure it wasnt there before. When I brought the wheel in, it was covered by brake dust, so it was hard to tell if there was any scratches on it. But I know that when I washed my car the week before, there wasnt anything on the rim. I always park my car far away fromt he curb and am careful not the create curb rashes. If you look at all my other rims, they are in perfect condition other than being a little dirty.

I know I should have inspected the tire when I turned it in, but I was thinking this was a quick job, no need to worry. What is confusing is that he said he wiped off the wheel and saw the scratch, but when I got the wheel back it was still covered with brake dust. I really dont know how to approach this situation. I did compain to him about it, but he even said he had a witness. He called the deilvery guy to tell me that he also saw the scratch, which still wasnt very convincing. But even if the scratch was there, there are tiny little chips in the middle of the wheel that I just found that I could not have caused. How should I approach this?

And about the Best Buy thing. When I talked to the manager about the dent, he said that the only thing he could do is fill out an incident report and fax it to their insurance company. I got a call from their agent, and sent her all the info (pictures, damage estimate, witness form). She never calls back. maybe once to tell me that they were still working on it, while I left 5 or 6 msgs on her voicemail. So, only recently did I get the letter from her saying that they wouldnt pay for it. I called today and yesterday and left more msgs on her voicemail telling her to call me back. Fact is, she never does. She called once, but I was in class. I have been really busy with school and work.

How should I threaten her to reopen my file?
How should I threaten the tire company?

Posting my problems on this forum doesnt make me feel any better. I only wanted to get some advice from fellow fanatics, so I could best approach my situation.

Thanks for any help MrElussive and other members.

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6M/T
Premium - Navi - Aero - Trunk Mat

Old 10-08-2003, 09:19 PM

Seriously...you sound pissed off enough about all this annoyance and from the sounds of it I would be too... Here is what I would do.... first off write a letter explaining what happened at bestbuy including names of peoiple you dealt with... type it out and send a copy to the corporate office addressed to the CEO of best buy (you could his/her name online) send another copy to all of the local store owner/manager and send another to the better business bureau in the state of bestbuy headquarters... at the bottom of the letter make sure you indicate who recieved a copy of the letter so they will all know... I had a problem with a company once that was trying to take me for a ride... i did this and they were more than helpful fixing the situation...make the letter serious and just explain what happened and let them know how you feel but dont get heated about it or they will just think your irrational about it... If your mad about it then do something about it... calling and putting up with phone aggrevation has to come to an end.... let us know how it ends up....goodluck

Old 10-08-2003, 10:59 PM

take BB to small claims court.. it is $500....

(next time rent a pickup from home depot or something

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 10-09-2003, 04:32 AM

hey ur not the onli one w/ "G35 bad lucks"

a week after i got my car, a old lady hits me had to replace bumper, headlight, right fender.... she told the insurance company some BS story n the fight is still on... (accident happend at june...)

the day b4 car went into the shope for that accident... some mutherfuker keys EVERY SINGLE BODY PANEL of my car... yup WHOLE CAR...

car was in the shop for a month...

i got my car back... drove happy for 2 weeks... a old man hits my G which was parked infront of my restaurant... i had to repaint the whole bumper again... fix the left fender...

no accidents after that but im still worried...

i kno how u feel... we want to keep our cars nice n new but... nope... the world wont leave us alone~ haha

fight that fukin BB... the wheel shop, just let it go... rims will get damaged eventually...

Old 10-09-2003, 07:26 AM

Dan,
Small Claims court, the BBB and letters. You cannot let this pass!

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 10-09-2003, 06:42 PM

I'm not sure, but Small Claims Court might be free. Or you might have to pay a small fee. I think that's your best avenue right now. I think the BB lawyer is banking on you letting it go. Screw them man! Go after them!

Old 10-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Why don't you give everybody in this forum the phone number of that dirty lawyer and your name and will call her on your behalf 1000 times and bug her to death until she pays you. On a serious note, they're counting on you letting go. Go to small claims court.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBB, Lawyers, small claims..

From a practical standpoint, these are all terrible ideas.

Dan: I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your ride. Its depressing, i know. But here is my advice, forget about the BBB, they have NO authority to do anything and are PAID BY the companies your complaining against. Your just going to be making a record of your problem with them and i seriously doubt it will result in anything. As for getting an attorney.. unless you know one they will want an immediate retainer to mess with this... a min of $500 or a grand, Thats probably near the cost to repair the damage. Forget it.

Small claims: OMG, you will never win the wheel damage case, you said yourself you weren't 100% sure it wasnt there before. With the Best buy thing, you might have a shot, since you have a witness. But for small claims your going to have to file the case, get them served (probably a corporate officer) then show up in court with all your evidence and prove your case. You have to pay to file the case and get the defendant served. The burden of proof is on YOU. Hardly seems worth it for sure a minor amount of damage...

Best thing you can do: get the dent fixed at a paintless dent place for $100 and learn your lesson. Don't move a TV in a coupe and don't let minimum wage employees near it. In the future, if your car is damaged and you intend on recovering any money for it, call the police. RIGHT THEN!.. and get a police report made. It far more likely if you had a police report with everyone involved in the best buy thing listed, as well as your witness, they would have paid it. They won't pay because they know their liability probably can't be proven now.

If you don't want to pay for the wheel damage out of pocket..
I would make a claim on your insurace for the wheel(s) that was damaged. Was the wheel that got hit the same one that was scratched? If not, make a claim for BOTH of em. Pay the ins dedcutible and get it fixed. The idea of getting a rim bent back in shape didn't sound too great to me in the first place. Your rate will probably go up, but thats what insurace is for.

Get it fixed and get on with your life, you'll feel better! Good luck.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint