G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

g35c or 3.2tl type s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: g35c or 3.2tl type s

Forget the Acura. I drove it last year before I bought a 2002 Maxima. Acura has good sound, but I felt the Max was a better value.

Now also owning the G35 coup, I'll tell you the Acura wouldn't carry it's jockey shorts! I'd gladly blow the doors of the Acura in the G!!

I'd bet when lawman pulls his G35 into the garage next to the Acura, the Acura will look about 10 years old.! ;-))

I also have read a lot about the tranny problems in the Acuras, something about them going out every 15 to 18k.

Hoot

Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 PM

Hey Hooter:

Maxima is better value - matter of opinion - not my opinion tho.

G35C blow it's doors off - With 20 hp more and those looks, I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

Acura will look 10 years old - Matter of opinion which I don't share.

Tranny problems - Correct. Acura has given owners a written extended warranty for 100,000 miles on the tranny. I've driven 23K miles so far with no problem.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:17 PM

Hey guys, I have a 2001 acura cl type s. I'm sure it has the identical tranny to the tl and I have had no problems whatsoever. I have litterally griven the crap out of it for 2 years and never did a thing to it. All I have ever done is change the oil and put gas in it. I have been nothing but happy with it since the day I bought it. It truly has lived up to the billing of the Acura/Honda reliability claim. That being said my G35 coupe is on order right now. I saw it and had to have it. The combo of the luxury/performance/reliability sold me. So I think you really can't compare the 2 cars since here in Canada the G is 10 grand more than the TL. So for 10 grand if it isn't more of a car in every way I will be very disappointed. Also for the TL you will be hard pressed to find a better car for 40 grand here in Canada. Just my opinion.
Coupeman

Old 01-15-2003, 09:36 PM

Acura - Front Wheel Drive
G35C - Rear Wheel Drive

Get the G

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 01-15-2003, 10:31 PM

How do people speak of Infiniti reliability w/ the G35 when it hasn't even been out for a year yet??? Let's give it some time before we all speak of it's reliability. It also cracks me up to hear of so many people rag FWD over RWD. I doubt many people drive them hard enough often enough to even benefit from RWD. Maybe I'm a little biased to Honda as I and my family have owned them for many many years. I have an Accord and race (legitimately) a Civic. I agree on the bland styling of the CL-S.

I'm also a little put off by some of the tranny problems but overall I believe it is a solid car which will go by the wayside b/c of other solid performers for around the same price (ie G35).

So, I think I'll do what anyone in my position would do...buy a BMW M3. More power, class, style and maybe even problems. Guess that's what warranties are for. My wife and I have kicked around the idea of a new car for some time and we are finally in a position to purchase one nearly outright.

Hows that for my first post? lol

Old 01-15-2003, 10:35 PM

Thanks slapping me on head and waking me up. Even with the $10k difference I still want the g35c. My last concern is resale value in the future. I think it will do well because it is a great cat and it was car of the year. That award alone has to add some value.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:50 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

So, I think I'll do what anyone in my position would do...buy a BMW M3.

<hr></blockquote>

I thought I wanted a C32 AMG (Mercedes analog to the M3). It's as fast as an M3 but has 4 doors. Found one in Atlanta w/ 9000 miles for $48,000. Had a letter from my bank guaranteeing my check. Just knew I wanted that unit - until I drove it that is. It was scary fast and had awesome handling. I tried to talk myself into getting it, but after the test drive I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't the car I wanted. The reason? Intangibles. It just wasn't what I expected.

Fast forward two months. Test drove the G35 coupe. Love at first drive. Is it a better car than the C32? Well it certainly isn't as fast. And it certainly doesn't have the cachet as a vehicle with an AMG emblem on it. But it more than met my expectations. And even at full sticker price, it is $13,000 cheaper than the used C32 ($58,000 new).

Moral of the story: Drive the M3 to make sure it meets your expectations. If it does, buy it and enjoy it.

lawman

Old 01-15-2003, 11:23 PM

fastfour,

People look at the Acura and the G35 because they are in the same price and performance range of $35,000 nicely equiped. The price for the M3 is $15,000 more than the Acura or the G. The reason I say RWD is because of torque steer and fun factor. Acura is also known to have problems with their transmissions. As for reliability. The VQ45 has been a tried and true engine for a couple of years that I know of, and has won many awards. Have you even heard of a Skyline???? I for one, do feel that this car is very reliable. I have owned Hondas for years as well and can vouch for their build quality and reliability, but have to admit that my G feels, drives, performs and sounds bullet proof. The G also has a fresher design and has more power. Ýou can't go wrong with an Acura or an Infinity. Both are excellent cars, but I would still pick my G over an Acura.

If you had done a little research and read some threads on this forum, maybe all of your questions and concerns would have been answered already. Add something positive to this forum or be a troll on someone else's forum.

Hows that for my 104th post? lol

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 01-15-2003, 11:27 PM

Get the G!!!!! I currently have a 2000 TL and it's a nice car, but night and day compared to the G35 coupe. That's why I ordered one.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:40 AM

LOL, I'm no troll, I've been reading here for quite some time, just decided to post now b/c I had something valid to say. I don't usually post much unless I feel I can add to the discussion. I don't post to be a post *****, I post if I think I can add in a positive way.

I realize the BMW is much more expensive and am now in a position to purchase one. (Hooray for me) Who hasn't heard of the Skyline???

Old 01-16-2003, 01:35 AM

I can't remember where but someone posted a link to a site that rated the resale value of cars and for 2003 the G35 was in the top 10 so....

Red/Canadian

Old 01-16-2003, 03:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy what you like mate, we all like our G's and don't mind saying so. Say "Hi" to the guys on the BMW forum.

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-16-2003, 05:35 PM

EdRedS, Infiniti has consistantly had pathetic resale value. Check the current pricing of a '94 Q45 on autotrader.com . It's scary cheap. As far as comparing Honda 3.2TL Type S vs GS35c:

Honda FWD, Nissan RWD
Honda, Made in USA, Nissan, Made in Japan
Honda, well.. damn, it's a Honda. You're driving a refrigerator on wheels.

90 Miata 140K mi
02 Saab 9-3

Old 01-16-2003, 06:11 PM

Think I'd be a bit concerned to see anything already talking about the "resale price" for a car that hasn't been out but for a couple of months!?!

Old 01-16-2003, 08:08 PM

lawman
Maxima is better value - matter of opinion
Absolutely!
G35C blow it's doors off - With 20 hp more and those looks, I'd be disappointed if it didn't.
Me too!

Acura will look 10 years old - Matter of opinion which I don't share.
Yep, just another opinion. Just thinking the new G style will accelerate the age on the Acura's style when side by side. Course I think the G does that beside most cars.

I have no problem or anything against Acura's. I bought the first year model of the Legend when they came out way back in '86, I believe it was. Drove it for 7 years without a problem and loved it!!!

Hoot

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35c or 3.2tl type s