G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alphaking
there is no such thing as an automatic sports car.
Originally Posted by bavarian06
g35 COUPE is a sports car
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
and if you want THE sporst car...
It's NOT a sports car, it's a lux GT. Vettes, Porsches, those are sports cars that you can take to an auto-x event or a road course where they belong. And they do come in automatic too.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I say get the manual transmission, since that sounds like it's what you're after based on your initial post. All my cars are manuals and I freakin adore it. I had 2 G35 loaners in the past 2 weeks that were both automatics, and I hated it soo much. I notice the auto trannies get pretty poor fuel economy too compared to my 6MT, even on the highway.

The Auto tranny does feel quick in these cars, but I think a lot of the "feel" of quickness comes from the fact that you don't exactly know when it's going to shift and jerk you back into your seat... whereas with a manual transmission, you always know when that's going to happen because the physical actions of you stepping on the gas harder or shifting gears is the only thing that will cuase you to lurch back in your seat... and by that point, you are expecting it.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
THE BATMOBILE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt hands down............i regret it

Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Id get auto. Nothing sexy and enjoyable about sitting on your clutch or flipping to neutral 5 times a minute in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. It gets old real quick. When you are in bad traffic you dont go any faster in a Plymouth Horizon than you do in an Audi RS4.

If your commute was out in the country with light to moderate traffic at best, or this was purely a weekend car, Id give you a different answer, but alas its not, and so I wont.

Call me nuts, but whats so sexy about driving a stick. Am I missing something. Its not like its brain surgery.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
AT...especially in LA

Old 08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Female = 5AT
Male = 6MT

Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by UDPride
Id get auto. Nothing sexy and enjoyable about sitting on your clutch or flipping to neutral 5 times a minute in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. It gets old real quick.
And u get old really quick also.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Most of my prior cars have been manuals, but this go around I went with the 5 speed auto. The auto in the g35 and 350Z gives up nothing in terms of acceleration. The only place you'll notice a perfomance difference is on a tight auto-x track where constant low gear downshifting is needed. The 05+ 6MTs have 18hp more, but they trade low to midrange power for higher end HP. Around town, especially from 0-60mph, the 298hp model is actually a tad slower. In the 1/4 mile, there's no real difference between a 280hp 5AT and a 298 6MT. I've driven 6MT Gs and around town, the 5AT wins hands down. It feels much quicker from 0-50mph which is important when driving around town. In probably 8 out 10 situations, a 5AT will beat out the 6MT in an acceleration contest. Everyone thinks they're a great drag racer until the get under the timing lights and find out that they actually are pretty bad and can't launch the 6MT for squat. The 5AT is far easier to launch.

I use to live in Atlanta which has traffic just as bad as LA (been there 3 times this year) and there is no way I'd be caught driving a manual in either of those towns. It's terribly annoying having to downshift and crawl with a manual in 5-15mph traffic. I guess if you've never owned a manual then it may not be a big deal, but for me, after driving manuals for a combined 14 years, crawling in traffic with a manual is tiring.

The 5AT is not your run-of-the-mill auto. It's geared aggressively, as a decent manual feature, and is quick to respond. This isn't the same kind of auto that's used in Grandma's Buick.
Dave do u seriously think 8 out of 10 times 5at will win on the street when a proper 6MT driver is behind the wheel????? Dude haven't had any experience with a 6MT over 60 mph. I pull constantly 1 cl till 60mph on any auto G35 with my 6MT, and over 60 mph it gets really ugly. Don't lie to urself man.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:56 PM
get the 6MT! If you want a "sports" car it has to be a stick to really experience it.
As far as Finity35 saying you cannot wear flip-flops, I slip mine off when I get in the car. It's not that hard. Can't drink coffee? I don't usually try to drink when I am accelerating, cornering, or decelerating, it's unsafe. While you are cruising, it's no different. The cell phone thing, get a hands free earpiece. I have an 06 with bluetooth.

If you get the auto you will regret it. It is a MUCH more satisfing experience to drive a manual transmission car.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Here goes..

5AT - sluggish and unresponsive throttle
6MT - responsive and pulls harder.

You want to be able to put your foot down and feel yourself getting launched, instead of putting it down and just hearing the engine spin a little faster than the transmission.

Don't forget, besides 298hp vs 280hp, you also have power loss from having an automatic. So that extra 18hp actually goes a long way.

I also feel that the 5AT shifts too slowly and too early. It sucks that the AT shifts at 3500 rpm. The power really only drops off around 6000 rpm in a stock 6MT (and if you get a header/test pipe setup, it doesn't drop off)

And don't talk about the 'manual' mode in the 5AT. It's slow. And it's not great at rev matching as a human would be.

The 5AT could be faster shifting for people who shift more slowly in the 6MT. But the driver can improve shift speeds. The 5AT can't.

And since you're in LA, go for the manual. I live in San Francisco and I'm not complaining.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
You guys are way too bias, I'd go with the 5AT for a daily driver and not to mention it's in downtown LA. Our car is not a sport car! Even if you would of gone with the MT it's all depend in the long run, you either love it or hate it. I got the 5AT, once in a whlie I wish I had gotten the MT but that's just the occasion. Sure MT are fun to drive but really for how long? I'm sure once in a while you wish you had that spare hand for something useful lol and I would hate to give my left foot a work out in traffic everyday, not very pleasant is it? I love both but there's no way you can go wrong with AT, it's not like you're going to launch every 5 mins.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:43 PM
You guys are way too bias, I'd go with the 5AT for a daily driver and not to mention it's in downtown LA.

I haven't owned an automatic for at least 20 years, but I live and work in the country. If I worked in the city, I'd buy an automatic because it's a real pain to drive a manual in stop and go traffic tieups on a regular basis. My wife on the other hand does work in the city, and she insists on a manual.

As far as the handling differances with the sport suspension, I agree with Finiti. I doubt that you will ever push your car hard enough to detect a differance.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
i dont know what yous are talking about, i just got the 6mt, and i drove plent of the autos, and theres no way when pushing the 6mt does the auto feel faster in any situation. I also raced my boys auto (both 06's) and took him by 3/4's of a car by 3rd gear and was still pulling but we slowed down.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
My personal preference is for a manual transmission -- I've driven nothing but sticks for 25 years. But...if I had to deal with extended periods of bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic on a daily basis I wouldn't have to think twice about getting an automatic. The novelty wears off very fast when you regularly spend an hour crawling along a highway and never get beyond second gear.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 PM
first, if you dont know how to drive stick shift, then dont even bother learning on a G, but its your money and if 6MT is what you want then go for it, just remember that city traffic sucks and like many have said up/down shifting in traffic gets old quick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT