G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MT coupes will be a little faster than the AT coupes, albeit not by much. If you need every ounce of performance out of the car, get the g35 coupe 6MT. If it's used, make sure it has the sport suspension.

If you don't care, and just want to have some fun once in a while, get the auto. It's easier on your legs and and just as easy on the eyes. And you won't have to be concerned with replacing the clutch/flywheel in the near future.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Originally Posted by DTRNusc
Is it true that you lose 10 lbs of torque with the 6MT?
Yes. However, another way to look at that however is that you gain 18+ hp. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to match gearbox to powerband. Autos suffer pumping losses not associated with an MT, and gear ratios-5 instead of 6- are different. My first G coupe was an 03 5AT, and my second is an 05 6MT. Both cars/ boxes are great.

ps. I would not choose to learn how to drive stick on a G- while the controls are well placed and easy to use, 300 hp is a lot of power, and clutches and cogs are expensive. The AT in manual mode is fun to change gears with, is very effective and well thought out. It does rev matching on downshifts, and does not change gears at redline like most Germans (having the car change gears without you choosing can upset the chassis mid-turn, for example- bad)

If you decide on the 6MT anyway, it is fun to have the extra revs, but I'd suggest thrashing a Civic or Focus to learn how to drive a stick.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
if its "THE sports car" that you're looking for, you'll definitly regret getting an auto...it'll get boring after a weeks worth of driving it hard

btw the manual mode on the auto is anything but quick when changing gears especially compared to a stick

just buy the MT and i'll teach you how to drive it...lol
dt la is like 10 mins away

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by techi13
if its "THE sports car" that you're looking for, you'll definitly regret getting an auto...it'll get boring after a weeks worth of driving it hard

btw the manual mode on the auto is anything but quick when changing gears especially compared to a stick

just buy the MT and i'll teach you how to drive it...lol
dt la is like 10 mins away

Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
the more traffic that you're forced to deal with, the faster you'll learn to drive stick

Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I say whats the point in getting a sports car if it isn't stick? thats why i bought the the 6mt. but in traffic i really really wish i had an auto. if i was gonna buy an automatic then i wouldve just gone with the sedan. =)

Old 08-19-2006, 10:54 AM
auto coupes are gay for guys to drive, they make them for girls, sorry but thats the way it is. if you dont have time to learn on a beater it will only take you a few hours to learn to drive. When my girl bought her car they gave her a loaner to learn on. Youll regret it if you go auto

Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
Don't listen to the newbs.
Just remember what I posted about the AMG, it only comes in auto and that is a true sports car.

Get what you want. They are both fun to drive.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:09 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by realgone
G35 is way more reliable and that is one of the reasons I chose it. That and the fact that it is the sexiest. Check out Consumer Reports. BMW's have average reliability and Infiniti's are high on reliability. Not to mention there are way more BMW's on the road.
She turned this question to "those of you with actual EXPERIENCE with driving comparison"...

Originally Posted by realgone
Don't listen to the newbs.
Just remember what I posted about the AMG, it only comes in auto and that is a true sports car.
No AMG is a true sports car. They're flashy cars with big V8's/V12's to throw money at. M-B doesn't even have a regular production AMG that laps under 8sec. around the 'Ring.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...ID=0&tID=10073

Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
G SQUAD
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
stick is harder to drive strait line and in the corners therefore most of the time it is going to be slower than 5AT. Unless u are gonna devote urself for more than a year practicing stick shift to its full potential, i say go with 5AT. As far as handling, 5at is available with sport suspension so handling is similar. The only advantage 6MT has is that, with the right driver u can downshift quicker and later before a turn.
That's some of the worst logic in comparing stick to auto I've ever seen!

Mashing the pedal is EASIER in an auto, but its not as quick as a stick. She'll learn how to drive it, and drive it WELL by buying the car. That's how you learn, buy it, drive it, learn it.

Cornering is where the manual tranny shines. Instead of flipping between gears, you hold your gear, preventing your rear from kicking out between up or down shifts. Manual is just SAFER in turning under acceleration - say...on an off ramp.

If you want "THE" sports car, get the stick, you'll only regret it during traffic. If you get the auto, you'll always regret not buying the stick to learn on. Everyone needs at least one manual tranny car in their life.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by burns420
auto coupes are gay for guys to drive, they make them for girls, sorry but thats the way it is.
You need to grow up buddy, your comment is really retarded and immature. Not everyones who buy's the 6mt G are crazy car enthusiast like yourself here. I bought it because I love the exhaust note and the sexiness of the G design but I honestly don't like the fact of giving my hands and legs a good work out everytime going to work. This is my DAILY car although it is nice to have MT "once in awhile" but not for a daily. Sorry I had to break it to you but the G is not a sport car, you want a sport car? Evo, Sti, Corvette, etc...
I used to own SH prelude and MR2 Turbo, I enjoy driving MT back in the days when I used to just go out and have fun without anything to worry about but now, I have greater things I have to face in life with work and a greater responsibility instead of phoking around. I'm sure many of the members on the forum are just people like me, the only gay guy here is you, you need to swap out the shifter and replace that with a D1ck!

Old 08-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Balzac72
That's some of the worst logic in comparing stick to auto I've ever seen!

Mashing the pedal is EASIER in an auto, but its not as quick as a stick. She'll learn how to drive it, and drive it WELL by buying the car. That's how you learn, buy it, drive it, learn it.

Cornering is where the manual tranny shines. Instead of flipping between gears, you hold your gear, preventing your rear from kicking out between up or down shifts. Manual is just SAFER in turning under acceleration - say...on an off ramp.

If you want "THE" sports car, get the stick, you'll only regret it during traffic. If you get the auto, you'll always regret not buying the stick to learn on. Everyone needs at least one manual tranny car in their life.
read my post 10 more times and see if ur response was worth it.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM
the AMG has a way better auto tranny compared to the G's auto tranny...
they;re not even in the same level...

you cant even compare the two

actually you can compare the two,

AMG's = smooth quick shifts
G = sh1tty

Last edited by techi13; 08-19-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by techi13
the AMG has a way better auto tranny compared to the G's auto tranny...
they;re not even in the same level...

you cant even compare the two

actually you can compare the two,

AMG's = smooth quick shifts
G = sh1tty
Have you driven one of those new Audi DSG auto tranny's? Those are money. The first car I've seen to have an automatic be faster than the manual (0-60).

But you still can't beat the 'feel' you get with the MT.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by whyjay91
Have you driven one of those new Audi DSG auto tranny's? The first car I've seen to have an automatic be faster than the manual (0-60).
The Audi DSG is NOT an automatic transmission (No torque converter). It is better described as a clutchless manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma... G35 vs G35MT