G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

First encounter with an SRT4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
SRT4s are cheap to upgrade and they get warranty from Dodge because its mopar parts. the good part ends there.

Ive seen so many in Rochester because its like neon world up in here. So its only natural to see SRT4s. I wouldn't waste my gas on those rice rockets...Truth of the matter is, if you are a good driver, chances are you can take a stock SRT4 because it's so hard to launch a SRT4.

base on my times at the track, I'd be dead even on a perfectly driven srt4.
OMG SRT-4's are terrible to launch... they're using the same $hitty engine mounts that comes with the regular neon, no dampners, nothing... they get a ridiculous amount of wheel hop... with my intake and exhaust i ran 14.2 @ 102mph... since then i've done Pullies, Plenum and HFC's... im not sure if Fontana is still open so i havnt raced it again since.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroscythe
OMG SRT-4's are terrible to launch... they're using the same $hitty engine mounts that comes with the regular neon, no dampners, nothing... they get a ridiculous amount of wheel hop... with my intake and exhaust i ran 14.2 @ 102mph... since then i've done Pullies, Plenum and HFC's... im not sure if Fontana is still open so i havnt raced it again since.
I ran 14.2 as well, but my trap isn't that high..I don't know why. After a new clutch and better alignment, Im hoping for better times when i fix the G.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an srt properly launched, 2.0 60fts will and full bolts ons, ex boost controller, wastegate actuator, FMIC, Full exhaust, CAI, can get you in the high 12's through low 13's... I have done it myself and a lot of my friends have done so.. Zeroscythe not doubting your win but I doubt the SRT you ran was heavily modded... My old one with bolt ons alone would trap 109-110 all day long with the stock turbo in nasty florida humid weather (moroso)

Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like any little car that can be turned into a hot rod, and done so on a fairly reasonable budget, I give props to the SRT-4... ...for what it is. I think there are very few who will doubt the potential of the SRT-4. But many of us have been that route and now own the G for a variety of reasons, even though it's not the lightest or fastest candidate for a project.

I can't help but notice how many times I've read of guys who used to have a 400+WHP SRT-4... ...and the complete lack of testimonials from current 400+HP SRT-4 owners. Seem like a lot of those owners have reached the same point as so many of us have.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
banker - don't forget about the driver... just because it is an srt4, doesn't mean he/she knows how to use it.

backstory -
i had a friend with a mustang mach 1 (the new one), asked me what she should do to make her car go faster... looking at her car i replied,'learn how to drive it.'

Old 08-14-2006, 03:32 PM
my friend should race his mach 1 with your friend's..so they can both learn how to drive it..

Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jasperg35
banker - don't forget about the driver... just because it is an srt4, doesn't mean he/she knows how to use it.

backstory -
i had a friend with a mustang mach 1 (the new one), asked me what she should do to make her car go faster... looking at her car i replied,'learn how to drive it.'

Yeah definately I agree 100% with you Jasperg... SRT-4 has to be driven properly as to any car out there in order to get maximum performance.. Crap when I first got it and it was stock I ran horrible at the track, couldnt launch for crap 2.2's-2.4's LOL but once I got the hang of it I was actually taking out some pretty fast cars I never though I would be beating off the line... Its all in how you drive the car..........

Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had a similiar story about a month ago on the opening night of Pirates of the Carribean...

Was coming home at like 3am on the freeway there was a yellow SRT4 that kept baiting me and I didn't do anything, then I had to get in front of him and just went WOT and smoked him up to 100mph to my exit. It was fun

Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 AM
MIC
Long Post, but good read.

I'm like G35Banker01. I came from an '03 SRT4 to owning a G35 '06. I've owned my Black coupe for a month now. I bought the SRT4 to simply go fast cheap. And at $20K it did just that but without amenities of a G35. The SRT4 does what Dodge intended; sound mean and beat cars 2X more expensive. I had my fun stock going 160 mph on a public road, beating 350Z's, mustangs, G35's, porsche boxsters, etc. It was something about beating a porsche boxster and looking at the driver's blank face that made me want to race more and more. But, after doing that when I was 21 years old. I've settled down a lot now at the age of 24 and no longer race. I bought the G35 for dependability, resale value, and its head turning looks.
There's been some comments about SRT4 drivers being immature, but I've honestly found G35 drivers besides myself to be some of snobbiest drivers! For less than $3K in mods you can have a 400hp SRT-4 and I've seen a 510 hp SRT4 with stock motor and tranny! Don't think your G35 is the hottest car on earth. Because the same way you look and think about an SRT4 is the same way a Ferarri owner looks and thinks about your G!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MIC
I'm like G35Banker01. I came from an '03 SRT4 to owning a G35 '06. I've owned my Black coupe for a month now. I bought the SRT4 to simply go fast cheap. And at $20K it did just that but without amenities of a G35. The SRT4 does what Dodge intended; sound mean and beat cars 2X more expensive. I had my fun stock going 160 mph on a public road, beating 350Z's, mustangs, G35's, porsche boxsters, etc. It was something about beating a porsche boxster and looking at the driver's blank face that made me want to race more and more. But, after doing that when I was 21 years old. I've settled down a lot now at the age of 24 and no longer race. I bought the G35 for dependability, resale value, and its head turning looks.
There's been some comments about SRT4 drivers being immature, but I've honestly found G35 drivers besides myself to be some of snobbiest drivers! For less than $3K in mods you can have a 400hp SRT-4 and I've seen a 510 hp SRT4 with stock motor and tranny! Don't think your G35 is the hottest car on earth. Because the same way you look and think about an SRT4 is the same way a Ferarri owner looks and thinks about your G!

++1. A lot of snobbery on this site.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIC
...Don't think your G35 is the hottest car on earth. Because the same way you look and think about an SRT4 is the same way a Ferarri owner looks and thinks about your G!
Few around here think that the G is the hottest car on Earth. But when talking about a modified $20K SRT-4 beating the G, most do point out the shortfalls of the SRT-4 and the added benefits of the G. It's natrual when comparing two cars that are so different except for their performance. It doesn't mean that we think the G is the best, just better for us right now.

Many of us have been a similar route as you and have since come to the same point that you did.

Originally Posted by MIC
...I've settled down a lot now at the age of 24 and no longer race. I bought the G35 for dependability, resale value, and its head turning looks.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
For one, I dont think the G is the best car on earth. I do think it is a great car though, and I love the way it drives and looks. I think if I lived in a different area, I would actually go for an offroad vehicle like a full size pickup. But since I drive around town so much for work (and have yet to leave the pavement), a car built for the road (opposed to offroad) makes perfect sense to me.

I also mentioned that I thought the SRT-4 sounded great too, it was a mean sounding car - I can't deny it. My problem is the attitude that these two kids had. Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun with other car entheusiasts on the road, as long as its done safely. There is time and place for it all. What did this guy want me to do, race him to the bumper of the next car in front of me? I have no problem giving him a run, even if my chances of losing are greater than that of winning. But this situation is completely rediculous. I mean, come on - seriously.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I think the SRT-4 is the best bang for the buck and the best car in its class... When I was thinking of buying the SRT I was also looking at the Evo 8 (at the time) and the STi.... When stock I ran both from a roll and would beat both... Modified was a joke.. So I was glad that I got the SRT... I love my G but I have much respect for the SRT... People shouldnt hate on it just because its cheaper than the G and it out performs it... The SRT was built exactly to do what it does, high performance at a cheap cost... I know the guy who has the fastest SRT in miami 10.74 at 130mph... fully built motor with gt40 and aem for tuning.. I used to beat high end cars all the time, and they would all look with the same dumb look like HOW? WHY? Its a fast car and can be made faster.....

Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Jellysick
For one, I dont think the G is the best car on earth. I do think it is a great car though, and I love the way it drives and looks. I think if I lived in a different area, I would actually go for an offroad vehicle like a full size pickup. But since I drive around town so much for work (and have yet to leave the pavement), a car built for the road (opposed to offroad) makes perfect sense to me.

I also mentioned that I thought the SRT-4 sounded great too, it was a mean sounding car - I can't deny it. My problem is the attitude that these two kids had. Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun with other car entheusiasts on the road, as long as its done safely. There is time and place for it all. What did this guy want me to do, race him to the bumper of the next car in front of me? I have no problem giving him a run, even if my chances of losing are greater than that of winning. But this situation is completely rediculous. I mean, come on - seriously.
Every car has its immature owners and idiots that are not safe and want to race at any moment and at any condition. People just gave the SRT-4 drivers a bad rep based on those idiots that do that.. I know guys in Z's that think they are hot shiet too and that they can take any car... It just depends on the person that you are not the car....

Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
i dont care for people on the street anymore, it doesnt matter until you go to the track, its only there a real driver will win. Ive seen way faster cars lose and slower cars faster than it should. So just iqnore them. Ive even had a cop doing the speeding up and slowing down thing next to me before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First encounter with an SRT4