G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Horrible gas mileage! grrrr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible gas mileage! grrrr

Am I the only one experiencing this? Granted, I just got the car 2 weeks ago and it's about half way through the break-in period, but this is crazy! The first week I got 15.5 MPG and this past week I got only 14.4!? On top of that, this is just from normal driving (never hard on the gas, always shifting around 3-3.5K rpms) that I am doing! The sticker advertised 20 MPG in normal city driving, so I would expect to get that, maybe 16-17 if I was driving spiritedly. Is this normal or just part of the break-in process? If there's one thing I can't stand, it's FALSE ADVERTISING. Mazda did it with the RX-8 and I would've been p*ssed if I had gotten that car. I hope this is not the case w/ this car, because other than this, I love it; however, if this is what I can expect from this car for the next 4 years, I am going to demand a credit or a different car. I don't even want to know what kind of mileage I'll get after the break-in period when I drive it the way it was meant to be driven. *sigh*

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 10-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Re: Horrible gas mileage! grrrr

relax man, you can try this, write down how many gallons you put in and track the mileage, then check if the result is close to what the NAV tells you, I got at least 17MPG when I was less than 700 miles but after you reach 1000+ you get better mileage..

Old 10-12-2003, 07:46 PM
G SQUAD

Retret, what does verifying it on the nav (if he has it) matter? If he's filling the tank and dividing the miles by the gallons put in, then he's able to get the REAL MPG.

I'm currently getting shitty milage also. Check my thread from this past week. I took and drove roughly 350 miles last weekend and got only 20mpg from open highway cruising. That [censored] really pisses me off. I'm seriously thinking about filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the NYS Attorney General's Office if the dealer doesn't satisfy me when I take the car in.

03.5 6spd DG/G aero pk/kit + Hyper Grounded
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Take it easy, it'll go up. When I first got the car, I was averagine about 13.4 miles per gallon. Now that i've put about 2000 miles on the car, it went up to about 19.0 miles per gallon. Just give it some time and enjoy the car.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mileage isn't our G's strong suit-- that's well known. Admittedly 14 or 15 is low but how accurately are you checking it's mileage? Only real way is long distance and divide the miles by the gallons. Also don't rely on the navi mileage-- it's not accurate at all.
Check your mileage after break-in is complete. Until then it's unfair to think about decent mileage.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 PM

If you guys are really concerned with gas mileage then shift at 2000-2500 rpm. Oh and the gas mileage does get better after 5000-6000 miles.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never gotten that poor mileage. I'm running between 24-26 with mixed driving. I have 2500 miles and a 6MT Coupe. I do not drive that gently either!

Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 PM

Before you start getting smart with your Infiniti dealer, you had better take another look at the window sticker that came with your car.

If you take a moment to read it, you'll see that the mileage numbers are ESTIMATES. And further, there are also ranges for city and highway, which are printed right above the city/highway rating numbers.

Just because the window sticker says 20 mph city doesn't mean that you will get that mileage.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:19 PM

Man, i'm with you, this car does eat a lot of gas. Not to mentioned you have to put the best gas available in it. But man, this is not a Honda car that you can put some Shell Bronze and it will run a long way. I miss my old Prelude which i kept feeding it the Shell Bronze and it still give me sweet gas milage. But if you are looking for a economic car, G35 is defeinitely not a good choice, Skyline is meant to be fast and luxurious, not economical.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:13 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was getting 26 mpg the other day with mixed driving. I usually average 20mpg so I can't complain. If I really want to get good mileage I drive with the Fuel economy screen up. You'd be surprized at the amount of time that you are giving her gas when there is really no need.

Old 10-12-2003, 11:37 PM

Point of clarification: I do NOT have the navigation system, so that does not help me. I do the typical divide the trip odometer's miles driven by the amount of gas it takes to fill up the tank (and I'm getting my gas at the same gas station each time). I sure hope it DOES go up over time. I know it's a sports car and you can't expect it to get a Honda's gas mileage, but when I see estimates of 20/city, 27/highway (not to mention car magazines' test averages of around 20 mpg), I expect to get something close to that, especially when I'm being easy on the car. On that note, how long did it take most of you w/ a 6mt to get used to the clutch feel? Just when I think I'm getting the feel down, I'll get a shift here and there that isn't quite smooth. Also, I've noticed that if I wear a different pair of shoes, it changes the shifting feel and it's as if I'm learning how to drive it all over again (gets pretty frustrating).

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 10-12-2003, 11:41 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

At first my gas milage was between 16 and 18.

After 6 months and 7,500 miles, I am getting between 23 and 25 consistently, this is with 60/40 highway/city driving.

For me, the key factors lie in with:
1) engine break-in
2) gotten used to the shifter/clutch
3) gotten used to the throttle and its response.

Number 3 is key here. When i first got the car, i had a heavy foot because i was not used to such a light throttle pedal.

It doesnt matter at what rpm you shift, its all in "how hard" you are on the gas, you said that you arent hard on it, but im sure you are, but not realizing it. Trust me, in a few months you will notice vast improvement because of those 3 pts mentioned above.

I need to go to sleep now, i think i have carpal tunnel [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I took a pic of my nav's "average mpg" and "miles left" screen when I drove to Nashville... I got 460 miles out of the tank. Finally...

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 AM

Dont take offense man but this post is dumb man why would you buy a sports car if your so concerned with gas mileage..
Im always punching it in my g and i love the way it drives... yeah i put gas in but think of that gas as fun juice... . because everytime i lower my windows hop in my g and cruise,take turns, and slam the gas i feel great. The G is a super fun car to drive. i dont mind spending money on fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible gas mileage! grrrr