G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hydrolocked engine... Should I insist on a brand new Motor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrolocked engine... Should I insist on a brand new Motor?

Long story short, I hydrolocked my baby (Injen users beware of 8" deep water). The insurance company wants to put in a engine that has 8900 miles on it. Would you insist that they replace it with a new motor?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many miles did u have on it before u hydrolockd ur engine?? if u had more than that then i wouldnt complain casue they're replacing ur motor... if u had less then 8900 ask for a newer motor

Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by sjc1789
how many miles did u have on it before u hydrolockd ur engine?? if u had more than that then i wouldnt complain casue they're replacing ur motor... if u had less then 8900 ask for a newer motor
I agree. Good thing they didn't know you had the CAI on it or you would have been up ***** creek with no paddle.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
yup... I agree with sjc1789.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
This wouldnt have happened if you had a stillen

Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
do they know you have an aftermarket intake in?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by perfectmax
Long story short, I hydrolocked my baby (Injen users beware of 8" deep water). The insurance company wants to put in a engine that has 8900 miles on it. Would you insist that they replace it with a new motor?

same thing happened to me about two years ago and i got a brand new engine through my insurrance. why do they want to put used engine? arent they dealing with your dealer? get your service manager involved. i say do not settle for a used engine.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
New or used..................?

Get what you can, tell them you don't want someone
elses problems and demand a new motor. All they
can say is no, but WTF they might say "YES." LOL

Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You bought and installed a CAI. You either knew about the potential issues with hydrolock and chose to risk it, or you were ignorant. If the first, then you shouldn't complain that you're getting an engine at all. If the latter, then you shouldnt have purchased and installed something without extensive research.

Either way, be thankful you're not paying out of pocket just to be able to drive it again.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, u guys are harsh on him and his intake!!!

ide say try to get a new one, if not, hey, u didnt deserve it anyways

best of luck to u, hope all turns out well

Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by perfectmax

wow insurance covers a hydrolocked motor?

btw injen makes a short ram adaptor for the CAI truplaya has it and i got it

Old 08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
You bought and installed a CAI. You either knew about the potential issues with hydrolock and chose to risk it, or you were ignorant. If the first, then you shouldn't complain that you're getting an engine at all. If the latter, then you shouldnt have purchased and installed something without extensive research.

Either way, be thankful you're not paying out of pocket just to be able to drive it again.
Which brings up a good point: Are you paying any deductible on this?

Trey, I would have to disagree on you on this one. That's why we have insurance. Doesn't matter who's fault it is. If he crashed into a tree and had full coverage, he'll pay the deductible and get it fixed. Imagine him driving into deeper water and Hydrolocking the engine. Same deal.

You are a bit harsh on him though, don't you think?. You guys really have to ease up on your comments or at least stick with the original question and leave the other comments to yourself.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
perfectmax,
I wouldn't go diggin, all they have to do is do a little research and see that your engine was not completely stock, and your up $hits creek. People are correct in saying that if you run into a tree your insurance company has no choice but to fix your car, its their responsibility to, but they will raise your rates and get their money back 10 fold.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sleek6mt
wow insurance covers a hydrolocked motor?
yessir, when i used to work at mercedes benz, we had an SL500 and he hydrolocked his car. insurance paid for a remanufactured engine, diagnosis, and installation. i tihnk the engine was about 15,000. im not exactly sure on the price, but it sure was alot.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Which brings up a good point: Are you paying any deductible on this?

Trey, I would have to disagree on you on this one. That's why we have insurance. Doesn't matter who's fault it is. If he crashed into a tree and had full coverage, he'll pay the deductible and get it fixed. Imagine him driving into deeper water and Hydrolocking the engine. Same deal.

You are a bit harsh on him though, don't you think?. You guys really have to ease up on your comments or at least stick with the original question and leave the other comments to yourself.
Incorrect. Strictly speaking he failed to disclose to insurance of his CAI. Which if he did they would void the claim immediately. Insurance is meant to cover what you have declared, and failing to disclose the exact situation is a breach of contact. That said, i would push for a new motor regardless (any chance of the new v6? heee), but try to not make such mistakes in the future, in effect we are all paying for your mistakes.

Last edited by usuckpoo; 08-24-2006 at 10:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked engine... Should I insist on a brand new Motor?