G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Things that bug you

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Things that bug you

I agree with most of what's been posted, except the seatbelt - no complaints here.

Couple nits not mentioned yet,

Why is the upper part of the graphite interior Willow? The headliner and stuff - looked weird to me the first time I sat in one.

It would be nice to have a mute button on the radio for when the phone rings.

Can't seem to figure out how to have the fan on to circulate the cabin air without pulling the air from outside and without the AC running. (admittingly, this may just be my ignorance)

My heated seats don't get very hot - not as good as a Volvo's.

Instead of the radio volume control being tied to car speed alone also have it consider whether the windows are up or down. I drive from city to highway everyday and have to re-adjust when I put my windows up at freeway speeds.

2" more length on the console armrest would be just right for me.

Have the console controls backlit so I can turn on the rear window defroster without having to turn the dome light on first.

I don't use the compass, and I don't have the NAV, so I'd rather see the current Miles-Per-Gallon readout there instead.

Fix that stupid cheap Gas Cap holder with one that works better and is thicker.

Speaking of Gas - Putting the gas tank filler on the right side of an American vehicle is stupid (unless you have a right hand drive). Not only does this make pulling close to the pump harder, I now have to walk around the car to fill it.

When I turn the wipers on I can feel the wiper motor's vibrations with my feet through the pedals. The 1st time I turned them on I thought my engine was grinding!!!

All that said, still the best car I've ever owned.

2004 6mt Laser/Graphite/Aero/Premium/BSM/splash

Old 10-24-2003, 02:00 PM

1. Crappy break-in gas mileage (<15 mpg!?)
2. Passenger seatbelt rattle when not in use
3. Cheap interior plastic on doors that gets dinged up from grabbing/releasing the seat belt.
4. Water retention in top of windows (inside part, no less)after rain/wash, as someone else mentioned (I hate water spots!)

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

g35don40:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why is the upper part of the graphite interior Willow? The headliner and stuff - looked weird to me the first time I sat in one.

<hr></blockquote>I admit it seems strange to me, too. Equally strange is BMW's use of a black dashboard and black seatbelts on the beige and gray interiors of the 3-series. Oh, well.

It would be nice to have a mute button on the radio for when the phone rings.

<hr></blockquote>Yes, it would be.. but the power button on the steering wheel is equally effective.

Can't seem to figure out how to have the fan on to circulate the cabin air without pulling the air from outside and without the AC running. (admittingly, this may just be my ignorance)

<hr></blockquote>Use the "Mode" button to get the air blowing from the vents you want (upper, floor, etc.), use the A/C button to turn the A/C compressor on and off, use the recirc button (car with u-turn arrow inside) to stop the fresh air, and use the up-down fan buttons to change the fan speed.

Have the console controls backlit so I can turn on the rear window defroster without having to turn the dome light on first.

<hr></blockquote>Not sure what you want here.. my A/C and radio controls light up with the parking lights. If you need the dome light to see unlighted controls, I'm guessing you need your headlights to see the road, and turning them on solves the first problem.

Speaking of Gas - Putting the gas tank filler on the right side of an American vehicle is stupid (unless you have a right hand drive). Not only does this make pulling close to the pump harder, I now have to walk around the car to fill it.

<hr></blockquote>While this is the first car I've had with the gas cap on the right, it's not the only one around here. The newer Eclipse has the tank on the right. Many other cars do, as well. If you look at the gas station, you'll see half the people on the left side of the pumps, and half the people on the right side. I find that sometimes it's actually a little easier to find an open pump at a busy station on the right side of the car.

My complaint is the tire size.. of course, I have a sedan, and the coupe's tires are a little more standard, so that probably wouldn't bug ya'll much. Next time you're on tirerack, though, see what you can find to fit the sedan... nice excersize in frustration.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually prefer the gas cap on the right. In fact, all of my cars have had it there... when I pull up to the pump, I can get out and not have to worry about parking far enough away to open the door and not bang a pylon/trash can/etc. If you can park by a curb, you can park by a pump...

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-25-2003, 06:11 PM

I read a review somewhere that mentioned the reasoning behind a Willow upper interior with the Graphite package. According to the review, the idea was to lighten up the interior due to concerns that it would be to dark with a black or gray headliner. I think it is kind of weird as well. But, my two biggest complaints have not been mentioned:

Why not just have a compass that shows you the direction your going without having to decipher the direction.

And, I hate the fact that there is no 4 way adjustment to the headrest. For me, the headrest is set way to far back.

2004 6MT (DG/Graphite) premium / aero package

Old 10-26-2003, 01:11 AM

A few other things I forgot to add:

A/C is giving off a mildewy smell after only 800 miles.

The cup holders suck! I can't keep anything from tipping over and spilling w/ these flexible/springy things they put in there...

The front bumper is too low to ground and prone to scraping from curbed parking spaces and some parking stops (I know, it's a sports car, so it should be lower than your average car, blah blah...). I've only had my 6MT for a month and have scraped through the paint on the bottom part of the front end twice now, AND I'm usually very careful with my cars! My last car was 8 years old when I got rid of it last month, still looked like new and had no scratches that were of my doing. 'Might as well not bother w/ touch-up paint because this is bound to happen again eventually, no matter how careful I am. *sigh*

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by fldrummer on 10/25/03 11:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-26-2003, 02:05 AM

While we're being picky,
Head rests, Lack of power seats/memory, cup holders, Nav in general, Light switch on turn signal tip?, reverse hard to get into (MT),
no round volume control, no HID high beam, no self locking doors, no tilting mirrors, need more elbow pad on doors.
I guess thats what the 7 grand more buys for a 330 PP.
Hey, I love my 35!

Old 10-28-2003, 01:07 PM

Regarding Recirculating Cabin Air:

In my G, When I turn off the AC (By pressing the AC button), the outside air button lights up. When I press the recirculate button the AC comes back on.

Has anyone been able to have the fan on and the recirculate on without the AC being on?

Regarding the backlit dash lights - My bad!!! They do illuminate with the lights as ryoken pointed out.

2004 6mt Laser/Graphite/Aero/Premium/BSM/splash

Old 10-28-2003, 03:47 PM

High clutch pedal only....

Old 10-28-2003, 08:32 PM

To stop the mildew smell be sure to set the system to fresh air a few minutes before shutting the car off. Leaving the system in recirculate mode allows water to collect in the system, thus the smell. Setting the system to fresh air allows the water to evaporate. It's still a design flaw though.

My main issue is the placement of the seat controls in the right bolster of the seat bottom. Give me a break. Who designs a seat such that people end up sitting on hard metal and plastic? Dumb.

I also don't like the headlight control stalk design. As stated above it should be auto-off-parking-on instead of off-auto-parking-on. To prevent the sudden on-off-on-off flicker when shutting the lights off from the fully on position turn off your engine first then turn the lights from on to off.

2003.5 G35S/DesertPlatinum/Premium/SportTuned/Willow

Old 10-29-2003, 07:36 AM

1. my ex wife
2. my ex inlaws
3. my ex wife

everything else pales in comparison.

it is related to this forum because i drive in my G to forget them.

04 6mtC

Old 10-29-2003, 12:33 PM

I found it hard to bottom out the sedan, I had the loaner for a few days and went over some speed humps failry fast like 50-60mph and wasnt able to bottom it out. I wasnt able to get it to bottom out. Was a lot of fun though no having to have to worry about losing an exhaust from your own car when you have the loaner. Really quick too. Just sits too high.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:06 PM

One thing I want to bring up that no one has mentioned thru out the whole archive of this thread and I'm suprised. The air vent on the drivers side is right next to the steering wheel. Every time I turn on the AC I don't feel shi+ cause the streering wheel is like exactally lined up with vent so no air is blowing my way.

Anyways, Just stupid stuff like that, that the engineer's negelected to pay attention too.

But that along with some other small time things,
I love my G.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Florida and the A/C in my graphite interior is fantastic. It freezes me out no matter what direction the vents are in. Great system! I can have my car bake in the sun and when I turn on the A/C it's like living in the North Pole! No complaints here.

04 G35C/IvoryPearl/5AT/Premium

Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 PM

A few of my complaints...

- Headlight switch (auto should be on the other side of off)
- I wish you could have the heat/air set to auto, but adjust the position (mode button)
- Better heated seats - more coverage, warmer, etc
- No drop passenger mirror when in reverse
- Slow CD player
- Slow power seats (& no memory)
- No touchscreen on NAV
- No control of certain NAV features while moving
- No auto-locking doors
- No auto wipers
- No cell phone interface (like BMW as - address book/caller ID, etc integrated into NAV display, mutes radio, etc)
- No cupholders & no change holders on 03's
- No HID fog/high beams

Don't get me wrong...I love this car. Just a few things that bug me...

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT
Brilliant Silver \ Willow Leather
Premium
Aero
Navi

Lansdale, PA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things that bug you