G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Two questions (ride and center console)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two questions (ride and center console)

Hello everyone,

I'm helping my girlfriend car shop and we've pretty much narrowed it down to a D/G G35c, but there are a few nagging questions.

1. Is the ride in the coupe too harsh for the non-enthusiast?

None of the local dealers have a coupe in stock, so we test drove a sedan w/ sport which rode great IMO, but it's my understanding that the coupe is set up even stiffer and it's a lot louder in the cabin. Can anybody comment on this? How does it compare to the ride of a 325ci (which the gf deemed to be too harsh)?

2. Will it be hard to put the titanium center console face into a coupe not equipped with the sport wheel/tire package? Are there any other titanium pieces that come with the sport package?

Has anybody done this? Is it pretty straightforward? How much were the parts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Re: Two questions (ride and center console)

If your gf thinks that the 325Ci was too harsh, she will probably find the same thing with the G35C. I spend plenty of time in my G35C 6MT and my friend's 325. I think that his car has a softer ride, but not by much. The G35C is certainly not appreciably softer, IMO. Although this is a matter of preference, I do not think the G's ride is uncomfortable. I have 3300 miles on my car, mostly highway miles. Good luck!

6MT
Premium
Black/Black

Old 01-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gsedanman,
Care to comment? You have owned both![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Merlin.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:54 PM

I have the Sport package with the 18" wheels. I like the ride just fine, but then I like a stiffer ride. You may want to go 17" on your coupe and then the ride will be more like the sedans. Just the 18" tires alone will stiffen things up.

The titanium trim is also on the door handles and I like it. I have seen trim kits for the G35 sedan, so I am sure coupe ones are out / coming. Although, I'm not sure if I want stick on pieces on my ride.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:23 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah, stick on pieces look cheap... but thats just how the japanese carmakers do it
i think the ride should be fine though, i would go without the sports package if i were you, since you arent an enthusiast heh
so... go with the stock 17's, plus they are much better for the snow, if it snows where you live

Old 01-20-2003, 05:12 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The titanium trim is also on the door handles

i would go without the sports package if i were you, since you arent an enthusiast heh

<hr></blockquote>

From one of the pictures in the G35c brochure, it looks like even the non-sports coupes get the titanium on the door handles, so the center console piece is the only one we would need.

Let me clarify, this car is for my gf, which is why we are concerned about the ride. I definitely consider myself an enthusiast and would go for the 6MT w/ sports package if this was to be my ride.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the Infiniti parts department and it looks like there are two titanium console pieces that will cost about $250 together. This would need to be verified with the VIN number of an A/T sports pack. coupe.

We're in CA Rambo, so snow performance is not a concern. Plus, I've got a Pathfinder for trips to Tahoe.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Biznatcho on 01/20/03 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-20-2003, 05:47 PM

I have the coupe in Auto without the performance wheel and tire pack and my console is all black and the door handles and shifter (base and handle) have titanium look trim. I think it's very attractive without adding any extra trim myself. (I don't know what you would add anyway!)

As far as the ride goes, it is stiff in that it doesn't wobble around on turns and hard acceleration/braking, but it soaks up bumps really well. I went with the 17" wheels for the very reason that Houston streets suck and have been happy. It's been a while, but I think it is smoother than my mom's '02 Q45 on a particularly bad road that I have in mind.

JN
Carribean Blue Coupe
5A/T, Leather, Premium Pack, Tint

Old 01-21-2003, 11:45 AM

Biznatcho,

There is a problem with that. If you replace the two plastic pieces with the titanium colored ones all of your buttons are still black, whereas on a sport version car the buttons are also titanium. It might look funny, but if you try it, shoot some pics so we can see.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:27 PM

There is a problem with that. If you replace the two plastic pieces with the titanium colored ones all of your buttons are still black, whereas on a sport version car the buttons are also titanium.

<hr></blockquote>

Really? From the pictures that I've seen, it looks like a lot of the buttons on the sports package are black (including the GPS, climate control, and most stereo buttons). In fact, you get the same titanium buttons on the non-sports version as you do on the sports version.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:46 PM

Biznathco,

I stand corrected, I thought I had seen a picture of the nav system in a sport package where the nav buttons were titanium colored and I knew in my non-sports-package car they were black.

Let me know how difficult this is to do, I like the look of the Titanium console, although I'd probably coat it with a clear-coat to prevent scratching before getting installed.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:13 PM

Trust me, you are better off with the black console. The titanium is just silver paint over black plastic and scratches like crazy. I wish my coupe had the black console, but had no choice since the 18" wheel pkg comes with it standard. Seriously, if your GF is complaining about the ride on a 325ci (Did it have the sport pkg?), then It sounds like she wants a blvd cruiser. She may be happier with something like a Solara.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 PM

Biznatcho,

I had the chance to look at a 6spd car with the sport package and Nav today. You are correct that all of the buttons are the same color whether you have sport package or not, BUT one item DOES change. That is the top of the Nav unit, the rectangle that is actually the top of the screen. In the sport package this is titanium, non sport it is black. Might look funny as a big black rectangle on a Nav car.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:45 AM

I have the coupe in Auto without the performance wheel and tire pack and my console is all black and the door handles and shifter (base and handle) have titanium look trim. I think it's very attractive without adding any extra trim myself. (I don't know what you would add anyway!)

<hr></blockquote>

There is a way around the aluminum type trim in the auto trans car. The auto cars ordered from the factory with the performance package (18" wheels and tires) have the aluminum looking trim. I was told by the salesman at the dealer that if you get the car without the performance package and then the dealer swaps out the 18"'s for the 17"'s, you can get the plain dash colored console.

With the 6MT option, you are stuck with the aluminum looking console.

Sal

Old 02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah...gotta have LSD!!!!!!

<font color=blue>-Rambo</font color=blue>
All your base are belong to us!