G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hydrolocked car during 2" rainstorm...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
I beg to differ.... Driving off road is one thing... Driving through a puddle is another. Some puddles you can anticipate, like the one in this picture. I probably got lucky, because I didn't even see the puddle, because there was a traffic jam, so there wasn't a lot of room to see in front of the car in front of me.

But there were plenty of times on the freeway, when you don't see puddles. I learned of this one section of the freeway on the way to my house that is particularly scary. Even in broad-daylight you cant see the puddle. The way the road is angled, it looks like the pavement is just wet, but there is actually a small stream flowing across the freeway.

I'm not about to slam on my brakes at every single puddle I see on the road. And goodluck trying to do that at night. One time I went to pickup the wife, and was nearing her work. The road looked normal, but the next thing I knew, water was splashing over the hood.

and for the record, you can be absolutely still and still have to worry about water getting in your engine. Many times, I'll be on the freeway at a complete stop, stuck in traffic, and traffic on the other side is not jammed. I'll be idling by the barrier (no puddles near me), and a car/truck will hit a puddle on the other side, and a tidal wave of water comes splashing over the barrier.
So under this line of reasoning I should be able to get Infiniti to replace my windshield as defective because a rock hits it on the freeway? I mean I certainly can't be expected to anticipate a rock flying up from the road, and I am using the car as intended. Clearly the windshield was not responsibly manufactured to withstand the impact of a rock, much like it was not responsibily manufactured to not let water into the intake. Like trey said, it's an act of God, not a manufacturing defect.

Another point to make here: if it's pouring outside or has rained a massive amount over the last few days, you shouldn't be driving your G to begin with. Drive your other vehicle (hopefully something that sits higher off the ground) to work and get a feel for the road conditions so that if you drive your G that night or the next day you know what you're getting into. And if you don't have another vehicle and a $35K vehicle is your only mode of transportation - well that's just dumb.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I guess I should be considered an expert on this cuz this just happened to me. I hydrolocked the car in about 8" of water thanks to my CAI. This issue was not covered by warranty, however, the insurance company is picking it up as comprehensive loss! ... which is awesome for me.

Total cost for a brand new engine (non rebuilt) and labor is 10k.

BUT... I have been out of a car for 6+ weeks!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
And if you don't have another vehicle and a $35K vehicle is your only mode of transportation - well that's just dumb.
What if my only other vehicle is my wife's $35k vehicle, hmmmmmmmm?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
...And if you don't have another vehicle and a $35K vehicle is your only mode of transportation - well that's just dumb.
Hey now, let's not get personal on this! Yes, this G is really my only mode of transpo (although I can borrow a really ugly old mini van if need be). Not everyone believes in having two cars

Old 09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Hey now, let's not get personal on this! Yes, this G is really my only mode of transpo (although I can borrow a really ugly old mini van if need be). Not everyone believes in having two cars
Ironically this really is my other ride. And I'm 27 no less. Not trying to insult anyone, just saying that having only one car is a bad idea. What happens if it's totaled, hydrolocks, or just breaks down? You have to rent a car, borrow someone else's, and possibly even be forced to buy a car on short notice.

If you can afford this car, then surely you can afford a $2K beater as a backup.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Update---

Dealer says the car will now be worth no more than $7400. It's considered flood damaged. Can this be happening?

Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow1
Update---

Dealer says the car will now be worth no more than $7400. It's considered flood damaged. Can this be happening?
Well, if it is considered flood damaged, then you can have your insurance company consider it a Total Loss, right? Anything over a certain percentage damaged right? Like ... if you get into an accident and your car is worth only $5000 (which means you sustain something like $20K in damages), then then it will be a total loss?

Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I would think that it depends on whether your insurance covers flood damage. In general, if the damage to the car exceeds the vehicle's book value then it's a total (though not a structural total). But I don't know if that equation comes into play in the event of a flood.

I don't really understand how they can call it flood damage though. In my mind flood damage means having your car float down river in Hurricane Katrina, not driving through a deep puddle. Driving through too deep a puddle too fast might make you seem foolish, but I don't think it makes you a flood victim. My $.02

Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Ummm! Yes it does have you done your research on this? The AEM by-pass valve is a useless piece of device if you install it on your intake. What you should have said was put the bypass valve on when it's raining and take it off when it's summer. Airflow is disrupted at higher rpm feels like the car is slaggish or lagging then it just works normally all of a sudden. Taking out the pybass valve cured the slaggishness and lag. This was not just one incident it was multiple from different cars not just the G. It will work but not as effective as you would want. People will have this false sense security thinking that just because they have this device everything will be working normally in the rain.

Then explain to me how it restricts air flow? It cant restrict airflow if ot doesnt go inside the piping. If anything, it might cause turbulance. So are you saying that turbulance is causing this lag? So if you're saying it it sluggish or lags at high RPM, the only thing that makes sense is that theres so much pressure in the intake pipe to cause the flaps to open up... but how can it make this much of a difference? Please expain it to me because its not making sense to me. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Anyone know what effect a SC has on this issue? Vortech in particular.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:39 AM
And I drove in the rain like nobody's business.....
I really have to drive more careful.
Ooops

Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
Then explain to me how it restricts air flow? It cant restrict airflow if ot doesnt go inside the piping. If anything, it might cause turbulance. So are you saying that turbulance is causing this lag? So if you're saying it it sluggish or lags at high RPM, the only thing that makes sense is that theres so much pressure in the intake pipe to cause the flaps to open up... but how can it make this much of a difference? Please expain it to me because its not making sense to me. Thanks.
Put one on your car and feel the difference. Bypass valve is a POS technology it was only put on there as a quick fix for a flawed intake. Do your research on other forums see how well this valve performs on the AEM intake. You might be surprise at what you find. What's amazing is that AEM continues to market this item like it really works. Maybe what's more amazing is that people still buy this crap thinking that it actually helps. Hey don't listen to me if it gives you a peace of mind then go ahead and install one.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the injen sd1993 model and havnt experienced any water issues...yet anyway! as i posted in another thread i usually check it out everytime i go through some deep water and never felt or saw water...i did happen to drive slowly through some puddles but not all i was also considering the aem bi-pass but uhhh i dunno anymore?

Old 09-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Put one on your car and feel the difference. Bypass valve is a POS technology it was only put on there as a quick fix for a flawed intake. Do your research on other forums see how well this valve performs on the AEM intake. You might be surprise at what you find. What's amazing is that AEM continues to market this item like it really works. Maybe what's more amazing is that people still buy this crap thinking that it actually helps. Hey don't listen to me if it gives you a peace of mind then go ahead and install one.
Well, for its purpose, which is to stop water from going into the engine, it works well. As for performance, I guess I'll have to take your word for it, but I still dont understand how it could effect the airflow to a point where its noticeable. Also, I always prefered the short ram setup, with having cool air being guided to it. By-pass valve on a short ram is just silly.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by AEM Site
"The bypass valve may cause a slight loss in power due to the interrupted wall section created by the internal shape of the valve. In dyno testing we have found that the power loss is minimal. The bypass valve offers great security against hydro locking the engine in rainy conditions. If maximum power is the requirement, we suggest that the bypass valve be used in the rainy season and when racing use a coupler hose to make a smooth section where the bypass valve goes."[/B][/SIZE]

Here goes something taken out of AEMs site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked car during 2" rainstorm...