G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hyundai has a "G35-killer" coming?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BroDaJin
They dont just build cars, They're into constructions, electronics, and they probably build the best Fleet ships in the world. Like who ever said "Don't judge a book by it's cover."
Thank you! Many people have the impression Hyundai is just little struggliing car company. Right now it makes good money for them.
They don't need to take over the world, not yet....
There is nothing really classified about how to build a great car. All you need is the desire and the resources. Hyundai has plenty of both. When it become a priority for their corporation.. watch out...

Last edited by fortified; 10-04-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that pic is real hot, and even tho the g concept is nice, the hyundai will be alot cheaper

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well according to Motor Trend, the 2008 Tiburon's dubbed the "Poor man's BMW".

Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
This is so much speculation and rumors and no one knows for sure if it will really match up against the G. When there are some good hard facts then i will believe it and make my choices, but as for now all this back and forthing about the G being beaten by Hyundai is pointless. Hyundai is coming up in the world and will make its mark one way or another. Is that so hard to accept? The G is a great car and will be come a classic in IMO, but times change and so do cars. The Hyundai coupe's success will be determined by the consumers and not a bunch g owners on a forum.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by tekknikal
not necessarily true. there were many times in the past where G coupe sales were higher than Z coupe sales. also, why doesnt the G sedan tend to outsell the 3 sedan?

you shouldnt have paid $42k pre TTL for an 03 with all options. in any case, at the time the G and 3 were closer in price (than they are today), yet the G coupes were outselling the 3 coupes. This did not happen for the sedan.

for any product to gain marketshare it must create more value (perceived or real) for its customers than its competitors do. that value can come from a lower price, more features, image/brand name, and many other sources. BMWs answer is a combination of performance (335i) and image (underrating power, bmw name) while Infiniti seems to be offering a more traditional value. In any case, BMWs latest marketing strategies seem to be trying to push them away from the other cars in the segment by price, so they can occupy their own space in the market. I don't think they would do this if they didnt think it were best for them... ie I dont think they want to compete with Infiniti toe to toe.

Whether you agree or not though, BMW is comparing the E92 335i coupe to the V35 G35c. Not the other way around.
I paid 42 for a fully loaded 04 6speed( areo/xm/nav) in sep 03,M3's were 58ish. Not a small diff. but you seam to think it's bigger now huh. I concur with every thing else you said till the end. I think BMW is very aware of the ground Infinity has made in closing the but if they did decide to fight toe to toe and came down to infinity's prices it would get ugly for infinity at this point in time even with the iffy styling of the new BMW's. pull a poll about who wouldn't take a 335 over a G35 for the same money at either price point. Even in this forum the results would be one sided. There is no shame in having a "poor man's BMW" because there are plenty of poor man's g35s out there . As for BMW comparing to the G35 what do you think there saying "look they think there hot shik, check this out". Heck you even talk like a BMW guy with all the V35 G35c talk. we all know the g has a 3.5l there is only one size, and it's in the title. the 3 series has been around for many years and generations that's why they always state gen#. And get a grip. there are lots of cars that sell more then the G....What does that mean there all better?

Last edited by pfc_coyle; 10-04-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Runner
Haters...

If A is to B as B is to C.... Scoupe to Tiburon, Tiburon to ????

You gotta admit, it's got some classic curves and some nice lines. At least it's not one of these boxy retro copouts like some of the 'other' guys are building these days...
To be honest the first thought that crossed my mind was what's with the slanty eyes and buck teeth???

Needless to say, I hate the front, but the tail doesn't look too bad -- albeit it's far from original.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
People shouldn't deceive themselves about Hyundai. It is the only car company that has Toyota scared. Besides ... I don't think anyone can laugh at them now ... it's the same ideology to laugh at someone based upon your past. For example, the Big 3 laughed when Toyota and Honda came to America in the 60s and early 70s and labelled their products as '*** crap'. And how many people on this board today own this so-called '*** crap'?

Hyundai may have an image issue with the general public due to previous products but with their current string of JD Power survey wins, their image is quickly changing for the better. Critics writing positive reviews of Hyundai products all can't be wrong. And when was the last time people on this board went into a dealership (or an Autoshow) and actually looked at their current products? We all know how fickle the US market is. Once they have some eye catching designs (they hired the designer from Audi / VW?) to our shores ... watch out. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai outsells Honda or Nissan in North America over the next 10 years. That's how aggressive and positive their outlook is.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
People shouldn't deceive themselves about Hyundai. It is the only car company that has Toyota scared. Besides ... I don't think anyone can laugh at them now ... it's the same ideology to laugh at someone based upon your past. For example, the Big 3 laughed when Toyota and Honda came to America in the 60s and early 70s and labelled their products as '*** crap'. And how many people on this board today own this so-called '*** crap'?

Hyundai may have an image issue with the general public due to previous products but with their current string of JD Power survey wins, their image is quickly changing for the better. Critics writing positive reviews of Hyundai products all can't be wrong. And when was the last time people on this board went into a dealership (or an Autoshow) and actually looked at their current products? We all know how fickle the US market is. Once they have some eye catching designs (they hired the designer from Audi / VW?) to our shores ... watch out. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai outsells Honda or Nissan in North America over the next 10 years. That's how aggressive and positive their outlook is.

very well said...the korean market is blooming over there and is getting better. You can def see it some results here in the states, with the cars winning awards as you mentioned. Their cellphones are starting to become more popular, and hollywood is doing remakes of their movies.( just had to mention that cause im big asian movie buff) Hyundai might be the next big brand name in 10 years, but we will see what holds for them.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
I paid 42 for a fully loaded 04 6speed( areo/xm/nav) in sep 03,M3's were 58ish. Not a small diff. but you seam to think it's bigger now huh. I concur with every thing else you said till the end. I think BMW is very aware of the ground Infinity has made in closing the but if they did decide to fight toe to toe and came down to infinity's prices it would get ugly for infinity at this point in time even with the iffy styling of the new BMW's.

No serious enthusiast would compare a G35 to an M3. A G should be compared to a 330 or 335 and the G is at least $10K less than these cars when comparably equipped. You paid $42K for a fully equipped G, then I bet that a fully equipped 335 will run in the low $50s.

There's a zero chance that BMW will ever lower their price. They are the second most profitable car company behind Porsche, and they have no problem selling their cars. I have become a "value buyer" so I'm not willing to pay an extra $10K for that handling "feel" that only German cars supposedly have.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
There's a zero chance that BMW will ever lower their price. They are the second most profitable car company behind Porsche, and they have no problem selling their cars. I have become a "value buyer" so I'm not willing to pay an extra $10K for that handling "feel" that only German cars supposedly have.
Uhhh ... how do you define 'profitable'? Per car? I could care less if I made $5000 per car (and sell 33,859 in 2005 as per car & driver article: http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyaut...utomakers.html ) than than the bottom line (re: Toyota)

Read this article:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/toyota.php

"Toyota, the largest Japanese carmaker, posted a 17.2 percent jump in net profit to a record ¥1.37 trillion, or $12.32 billion, in the fiscal year that ended on March 31, enough to make it the world's most profitable manufacturing company. Toyota is also the world's 10th most-profitable publicly traded corporation of any sort, behind Microsoft."

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 10-04-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Hyundai built a 1 billion dollar plant in Alabama and taking in those laid off GM and Ford employees, a test facility in California. I could see a bright future. Sam Sung took over a chunk of the market market from Sony in the past decade like how we threw out Sadam. Not bad for a company that was started 50 some years ago by a person who sold rice for a living.

Last edited by BroDaJin; 10-04-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
[/QUOTE]No serious enthusiast would compare a G35 to an M3. A G should be compared to a 330 or 335 and the G is at least $10K less than these cars when comparably equipped. You paid $42K for a fully equipped G, then I bet that a fully equipped 335 will run in the low $50s.

There's a zero chance that BMW will ever lower their price. They are the second most profitable car company behind Porsche, and they have no problem selling their cars. I have become a "value buyer" so I'm not willing to pay an extra $10K for that handling "feel" that only German cars supposedly have.[/QUOTE]

Right on both counts. my 1st post said the the old g35 took shot at the 330(very close cars) and the new g35 takes aim at the 335( I'm sure there will be comparisons by the dozen in a year or two) with about 10000 between them. and until a new g35 comes out first and can command = money the BMW is the bench mark. were talking about the same point.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Well according to Motor Trend, the 2008 Tiburon's dubbed the "Poor man's BMW".
they're probably right becuase hyundai tends to be on the cheaper side of cars. honestly the fit and finish of this new hyundai might not be THE BEST but you have to admit for the money it will be one hell of a car. honestly, i'd buy a hyundai over most domestics. i'm korean for one and i refuse to buy any hyundai's. why? not becuase they're hyundai's, i could give a **** what other people think about me and my car. i just dont't like the current styling of any of the hyundai's.

Last edited by raff; 10-04-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by pfc_coyle
I paid 42 for a fully loaded 04 6speed( areo/xm/nav) in sep 03,M3's were 58ish. Not a small diff. but you seam to think it's bigger now huh. I concur with every thing else you said till the end. I think BMW is very aware of the ground Infinity has made in closing the but if they did decide to fight toe to toe and came down to infinity's prices it would get ugly for infinity at this point in time even with the iffy styling of the new BMW's. pull a poll about who wouldn't take a 335 over a G35 for the same money at either price point. Even in this forum the results would be one sided. There is no shame in having a "poor man's BMW" because there are plenty of poor man's g35s out there . As for BMW comparing to the G35 what do you think there saying "look they think there hot shik, check this out". Heck you even talk like a BMW guy with all the V35 G35c talk. we all know the g has a 3.5l there is only one size, and it's in the title. the 3 series has been around for many years and generations that's why they always state gen#. And get a grip. there are lots of cars that sell more then the G....What does that mean there all better?
1. unless you're in canada, i still dont see how you spend $42k pre TTL.
http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2...pe_Pricing.pdf

2. comparing 04 to 07 cars, the G is expected to increase in price by 5% or so. The 3 increases have been higher.. around 10%. Differences in std features and model differences make this comparison difficult to make, but the bigger picture that I see is that BMW is increasing its prices at a faster rate than Infiniti in this segment.

3. You can't just compare a 330/335 to a G35 because its highly unlikely that BMW could build/sell the same car for $5-10k less. They'd have to make compromises somewhere...and at that point, I do think that the G35 would do better. I think one of the main reasons is that I doubt BMW can match Nissan production abilities. In any case, some people already feel the G35 is a superior product, price excluded. While most would disagree I don't think that's all that far off because in many cases people who buy G35s can afford to spend the extra on a BMW (or get a lower end BMW).

4. I appreciate your criticism of how I discuss the topic, but with both V35 and V36 generation G35s being discussed, I felt it useful to be specific.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
Thank you! Many people have the impression Hyundai is just little struggliing car company. Right now it makes good money for them.
They don't need to take over the world, not yet....
There is nothing really classified about how to build a great car. All you need is the desire and the resources. Hyundai has plenty of both. When it become a priority for their corporation.. watch out...
I will agree with him. Hyundai has plenty of resourses im sure they dont care about having the greatest car in the world...they build cars for cheap and sell them for cheap and the owner has more money than all of us put togather so whatever....Hyundai builds great construction equipment i will agree with this....i didnt know they built ships, but it is a fact, they are not strugling.

If they wanted to just like every car company they could build a car that would smoke ferraris and lambos, but you also have to look at it from a different point of view. They are targeting people who dont have lots of money and in this case their is more poverty than rich in the US so therefor they are making alot more money by targeting the lower class than if they targeted the upper class......

Im sure this time with this car they are going to target the middle to upper class with a performance car and with the profit that this company already makes why the hell not make a badass performance car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyundai has a "G35-killer" coming?!