G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by afr0puff
You don't sound like a smart driver.
You obviously dont believe in having safe fun .

I have fun driving, but I dont do anything stupid.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Then if u lose to a honda civic don't post and say why did i lose.
Sorry but I've never lost to a Civic. And I've only raced my car once against SRT Neon and whoop it. Oh yeah and I whoop the New 335 also. Those are cars that you can only whoop if you got comparable drivers.

Geez Take chil pill Klubb. I know I how to drive my car, stop bein an a$$!!

I've been driving a stick ever since I was 12! I didn't grew up in the states.

Like I said on the previous post I don't drop the clutch all the way. but the way I do it, its still like dropping. It just takes getting used to know where the friction point is and just slip the clutch a bit when you drop it, so that its not harsh on the tranny.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
And shifting the way I shift still gets wheel spins from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
DaVince
He was talking about agressive shifting which is dumping the clutch after its in gear no matter which gear. And ur saying it is not good for the car. I can take it up to 6600rpm and then do a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd and so on. But that was not the thing he is asking. I am 100% sure that when u wooped the SRT4 u weren't shifting smooth while taking the rpms to the red line. And if u won the race by shifting smoothly then SRT4 driver was an idiot or u guys weren't even racing.
That was the point i was trying to make.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Well I do believe you can shift smooth AND fast, it'll still chirp.

Basically, clutch goes down, throttle goes up(not all the way up). Throttle goes down, clutch goes up(not all the way up).

Anyways, I saw a couple of people said to just drop the clutch ALL THE WAY. That's not good for the tranny and synchros.

But any clutch slipping will definitely wear out the clutch more.

Even though its a sports car your car will definitely take a beating because its not that KIND of sports car. So pick your poison! I'd rather wear out the clutch for aggressive driving rather than tranny and synchros.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:28 PM
The G is fairly easy to drive. The hardest manual I've ever driven is AWD wrx!!

Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by DaVince

Basically, clutch goes down, throttle goes up(not all the way up). Throttle goes down, clutch goes up(not all the way up).

Anyways, I saw a couple of people said to just drop the clutch ALL THE WAY. That's not good for the tranny and synchros.

But any clutch slipping will definitely wear out the clutch more.

Even though its a sports car your car will definitely take a beating because its not that KIND of sports car. So pick your poison! I'd rather wear out the clutch for aggressive driving rather than tranny and synchros.
I would love to ride in ur car and see how u do smooth and fast shifting with chirping the tires at the same time. Because if u chirp tires ur shifts aren't smooth autmatically because the tires are spinning because of the throttle flooring and clutch dumping. Last time i checked when ur body moves inside the car when shifting then its not a smooth shift (at least thats how i think of a smooth shift).

Old 10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
This is exactly what I was saying. If you look at any successful track driver (other than D spec) and you will see how smooth they are. They get everything out of a car can it can give, yet they don't beat on it. Shifts are smooth. Throttle is smooth, transitions in and out of corners are smooth. You get in a rhythm and you get faster and faster.

Car and Driver was asked one time why they don't "speed shift" the cars that they test in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The said, exactly what I just said. In fact they did some testing. Same cars, same day, speed shifting and smooth shifting. It didn't make but 0.1 seconds difference. In some runs, not even that.

So you can Haul A$$ and not beat it to death.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
So chirping from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd is considered smooth shifting???

Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Geez Take chil pill Klubb. I know I how to drive my car, stop bein an a$$!!

I've been driving a stick ever since I was 12! I didn't grew up in the states.
J/k

Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
So chirping from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd is considered smooth shifting???
No, but it sure is fun!

Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
No, but it sure is fun!
IM so confused.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texasscout
This is exactly what I was saying. If you look at any successful track driver (other than D spec) and you will see how smooth they are. They get everything out of a car can it can give, yet they don't beat on it. Shifts are smooth. Throttle is smooth, transitions in and out of corners are smooth. You get in a rhythm and you get faster and faster.

Car and Driver was asked one time why they don't "speed shift" the cars that they test in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The said, exactly what I just said. In fact they did some testing. Same cars, same day, speed shifting and smooth shifting. It didn't make but 0.1 seconds difference. In some runs, not even that.

So you can Haul A$$ and not beat it to death.
I don't know how you define smooth, but when I try to get the max out of any car in the 1/4, I wouldn't call it smooth. Getting best 1/4 times and being easy on the car is incompatible from my experience. Dropping the clutch and power shifting is tough on the clutch, tranny, and rear end, but it maximizes performance. I've run countless 1/4s in a variety of cars over many years, and you definately get your best times by power shifting.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
You obviously dont believe in having safe fun .

I have fun driving, but I dont do anything stupid.

HA, you definitely are out of your element if you are referring to me. Try not to call other drivers "grandma's" and then claim that you are the one being misunderstood.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by afr0puff
HA, you definitely are out of your element if you are referring to me. Try not to call other drivers "grandma's" and then claim that you are the one being misunderstood.
No problem.

I wasnt actually refering to you or any of the members here who replied to my thread with the exception of one, which im not identifying

(Although, There was just too much implying and infering in this thread)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?