G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is this shifting technique TOO harsh for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
J/k
Punk!

Ok ok its not "smooth" like grandma driving smooth per se but its SMOOTHER if you get what I mean.

All I'm saying is don't dump the clutch all the way that's all. Plus our cars aren't drag cars anyways, it won't be able to handle that kind of stress.

On the circuit we don't need to dump the clutch everytime we upshift, you might oversteer or fish tail when exiting the corner. You lose time driving that way.

Slipping the clutch allows you to feel when you tranny is fully engage so you can go wot while at the same time controlling your wheel spin, traction, balance etc. It doesn't mean losing time.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post dumping the clutch

I'd look into rev matching, heres a good synopsis:

Rev matching: this alone has no effect, good or bad, on syncros; but it does save wear on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain. By rev matching during a downshift you're providing exactly the same function - in reverse - as occurs naturally during a normal upshift.

On the upshift, when you lift off the gas momentarily engine revs drop...and if you time it correctly the drop at least approximates the difference in engine revs between the previous gear and the one you just shifted up to. So when you let out the clutch the engine/flywheel, on one side, and clutch disc/transmission on the other side are spinning at (or close to) the same speed; no lurching, bucking, etc. as you release the clutch.

On the downshift the "natural" factors that help the upshift are now working against you. So you have to supply the speed matching - by revving the engine - to get the same match across the clutch interface.

If you don't rev match on the downshift, it's just like holding the revs at the same level during an upshift: the clutch has to slip, just like when starting out from a stop, until the engine speed and trans speed match.

All of this has no effect on what happens when you move the shift lever between gears: the syncros take the hit, doing the internal speed matching between gear set in the trans - exactly analogous to what the clutch does between engine and trans when you don't rev match the shift. Since the clutch is disengaged while you're performing the gear shift you can't affect the internals of the trans, except via the shift lever.

So what you gain by rev matching is smoother driving, and reduced clutch wear, plus reduced wear on the rest of the drivetrain if you weren't slipping the clutch much

Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ you're explaining the technical side of what I said about upshifting. Practicing these skills will improve car's life during aggressive driving.

No matter what, WOT while clutch is fully depressed will generate more clutch wear than lifting the throttle(not all the way) during a fully depressed clutch.

AND its especially worst for the tranny and synchros to WOT and drop the clutch because they have to adjust the High rev to the proper rev and at the same time unloading all the power into the tranny at much higher rpms.

letting off the throttle is going to drop the rpm. but that's what the synchros is going to do anyways. Everytime you upshift the rev drops to about 4500-5000rpm.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
in2win,

are you trying to answer someone elses question?

Because your post has NOTHING to do with the original question.

I had to say it... lol

Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
I don't know how you define smooth, but when I try to get the max out of any car in the 1/4, I wouldn't call it smooth. Getting best 1/4 times and being easy on the car is incompatible from my experience.
Very true, however you won't find track guys (time attack) shifting like that. Sure, if you want every last 100th of a second out of your 1/4 mile time, you have to "push the envelope", but not all the time.

The following users liked this post:
alxp (01-20-2013)