G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

too much power for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly it is on the driver. I got my G when I was 17. you have to have the right mentality for it. especially kids now a days they tend to show off their rides, that's what its all about now. so if you're one of those kids i suggest you start off with something with lower status and also getting used to driving it. I remember I could barely handle mine at the time I was like damn so much speed for me to handle. but yeah it's all on the driver whether you can handle driving it or not

Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I disagree with some peolpe said mostly young kid underage drive like crazy... not all kid are the same.. i was a kid at age of 16 driving 1984 toyota corolla, i work after school and on the weekend to buy that car. I never got any accident, speed ticket accept last month got into car accident and it's not my fault.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by azng45
I disagree with some peolpe said mostly young kid underage drive like crazy... not all kid are the same.. i was a kid at age of 16 driving 1984 toyota corolla, i work after school and on the weekend to buy that car. I never got any accident, speed ticket accept last month got into car accident and it's not my fault.
No one here is claiming all young drivers are the same. No one here is making a general assertion that all young drivers "drive like crazy". Some young driver's may drive quite safely, while some adults can equally drive like maniacs. The topic of this thread is a very broad one. A broad issue with a broad response is addressed with a broad response. The question is not whether one 16 year old can be a slightly better driver than another 16 year old. It's whether the ability to travel at 100 mph in under 14 seconds and then on to 150 in another 10 seconds potentially creates greater risk in the hands of the average young driver.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
^but if not everyone drives crazy, then those factors mean nothing.

I know what happens if i get caught travelling over 100mph.... so im not about to attempt it.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
^but if not everyone drives crazy, then those factors mean nothing.

I know what happens if i get caught travelling over 100mph.... so im not about to attempt it.
How about the 30,000 teens who have died behind in traffic accidents in the past 5 years? F.Y.I.: That is 7 times as many deaths as young soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Perhaps another 100,000 more have been seriously injured because of teen caused accidents. How about the many millions of dollars in property damage losses that all insured have to pick up part of? Isn't that enough crazy driving?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by athens
How about the 30,000 teens who have died behind in traffic accidents in the past 5 years? F.Y.I.: That is 7 times as many deaths as young soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Perhaps another 100,000 more have been seriously injured because of teen caused accidents. How about the many millions of dollars in property damage losses that all insured have to pick up part of? Isn't that enough crazy driving?
So because a majority of teen drivers suck your going to generalize and call all of them bad?

I can see where your comming from, but you need to realise, we are not all like that

Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one here is claiming all young drivers are the same. No one here is making a general assertion that all young drivers "drive like crazy". Some young driver's may drive quite safely, while some adults can equally drive like maniacs. The topic of this thread is a very broad one. A broad issue with a broad response is addressed with a broad response. The question is not whether one 16 year old can be a slightly better driver than another 16 year old. It's whether the ability to travel at 100 mph in under 14 seconds and then on to 150 in another 10 seconds potentially creates greater risk in the hands of the average young driver.
i suppose ur arguement is well thought out and is considering most arguements that might come from it, however, is such power any more safe in an adults hands, or is that still to be determined by the person who is driving the car

(17yrs old, "14 yr old u were talkin bout", future g35 coupe owner)

Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Im 16 right now, and i have a G coupe. I really love how ur trying to make the issue into the 0-100 time of a G vs another slower car. Do u not realize that crashes of i duno, say, 70 miles per hour or less can EASILY be fatal? It really pisses me off when people generalize young drivers into the bad driver category. Lets say you have a 16 yr old son, and u get him a slow honda civic. this car can do 100 + mph. so really ur argument falls apart. it falls into the hands of the driver. if the kid is irresponsible and likes to show off, then dont get him a fast car (which the G is not anyway). But if he takes driving seriously like I do, then dont worry about it.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
the thing is you can never tell for sure, temptation always arises and is much more prevalent when you add in their friends. like i said earlier, im only 19 and i definitely understand how 16 year olds hate being generalized as poor drivers, i thought the same exact thing a few years ago.

but the statistics dont lie and they say no matter how great or cautious of a kid you have statistically there is an immensely larger chance of them being involved in accidents or dangerous driving. and putting a car that is much more capable powerwise and one that instills much more confidence and ability to maneuver at high speeds make things worse? i would say yes, i know my g stock can take turns immensely faster than my old car and just the fact that there is more speed means if something goes wrong it will most likely be a lot worse than in a less capable car.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
-MN G Crew-

^my whole thing is, atleast the G is safe IF you crash.

Thats another reason my mom ddint want me in some old pos civic. She works for allstate, and she has seen what happens to those cars in accident.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm 16 and i have a choice of getting my G now.
I really want it but after reading this i'm not so sure i could handle it.
I think i'm mature compared to some of the other kids in my school.
I know this kid with a civic that drinks and drives and really doesnt mind doing it. He does it on the way to parties. I, personally, would never do that no matter what the circumstances. I think i'm mature to some extent. Just dont know if thats enough to handle the G.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
-MN G Crew-

Really dude, drive what you think you can handle.

But after driving the G for an extended period of time, the 'oh my god power' wears off and you really begin to chill....

You'll get used to it and just like the car as a cruiser. Just because it has power does not mean you have to use it.

Dont listen to people over the internet. Do what you think is appropriate for you. What i stated above is MO. I grew up driving an 04 G35 so i really got to know the car well... my parents liked the car, they wanted to get a new car and retire the Trailblazer, so they told me to find one in our price range and i got to pay for half.

It really wasnt that hard of a decision for them, shockingly. I had to do a lot for my dad because he is wierd like that (he made me write him a paper on why I think i deserve it) obviously i dont, so i wrote that down. Then i had to do other things like get a job, work to make payments, ect.

It makes my mom feel better about me driving knowing im surrounded in airbags and a very safe car...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by bitethehype
I'm 16 and i have a choice of getting my G now.
I really want it but after reading this i'm not so sure i could handle it.
I think i'm mature compared to some of the other kids in my school.
I know this kid with a civic that drinks and drives and really doesnt mind doing it. He does it on the way to parties. I, personally, would never do that no matter what the circumstances. I think i'm mature to some extent. Just dont know if thats enough to handle the G.
go for it buddy, G isnt as fast as u might think from reading this. and its so much better than a civic, luxury wise.. hot damn.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 AM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by chord42
go for it buddy, G isnt as fast as u might think from reading this. and its so much better than a civic, luxury wise.. hot damn.
its a great car that will last you through college with minimum maintenance issues...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Really dude, drive what you think you can handle.

But after driving the G for an extended period of time, the 'oh my god power' wears off and you really begin to chill....

You'll get used to it and just like the car as a cruiser. Just because it has power does not mean you have to use it.

Dont listen to people over the internet. Do what you think is appropriate for you. What i stated above is MO. I grew up driving an 04 G35 so i really got to know the car well... my parents liked the car, they wanted to get a new car and retire the Trailblazer, so they told me to find one in our price range and i got to pay for half.

It really wasnt that hard of a decision for them, shockingly. I had to do a lot for my dad because he is wierd like that (he made me write him a paper on why I think i deserve it) obviously i dont, so i wrote that down. Then i had to do other things like get a job, work to make payments, ect.

It makes my mom feel better about me driving knowing im surrounded in airbags and a very safe car...

I laughed when reading this because my dad is doing the same exact thing now. I had to write those essays and get a part time job. I think this maybe normal.

And thanks for the input guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: too much power for a 16 year old?