G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What is everyones thoughts on Nitrogen for our Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by perfectmax
Because N2 doesn't expand and contract like Air + Moisture, you will have less deviation in tire pressure. With less deviation in tire pressure, you will have a constant 35psi. Air + moisture deviates + or - 3psi every day. Therefor, with N2 you should get better gas mileage and longer tread life.

True?
Regular air is 78% nitrogen, and air from a reliable compressor does not have a lot of moisture in it. Tires are designed for the 3-4 psi increase from cold to hot operating temperatures.
All the benefits of nitrogen in street tires are either theoretical or negligible - it's different in a racing tire where half a pound at extreme temps can make the difference.
Step back from the details and look at the big picture - the biggest single factor in the life and performance of street tires is correct pressure, regularly checked and adjusted by the owner.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Regular air is 78% nitrogen, and air from a reliable compressor does not have a lot of moisture in it. Tires are designed for the 3-4 psi increase from cold to hot operating temperatures.
All the benefits of nitrogen in street tires are either theoretical or negligible - it's different in a racing tire where half a pound at extreme temps can make the difference.
Step back from the details and look at the big picture - the biggest single factor in the life and performance of street tires is correct pressure, regularly checked and adjusted by the owner.
I agree, in much the same way for most of us a good premium dino oil is good enough. While synthetics may have a marginal advantage under extreme conditions, regular maintenance is a bigger factor.

Knowing a 'reliable' source of air could be a problem. I woud think a well maintained small Craftsman, etc. at home is as good as any. And I believe there are in-line moisture traps/filters that can be used also.

But if N2 is readily available it does give you some margin. But even N2 compressors need regular maintenance I would presume.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
I agree, in much the same way for most of us a good premium dino oil is good enough. While synthetics may have a marginal advantage under extreme conditions, regular maintenance is a bigger factor.

Knowing a 'reliable' source of air could be a problem. I woud think a well maintained small Craftsman, etc. at home is as good as any. And I believe there are in-line moisture traps/filters that can be used also.

But if N2 is readily available it does give you some margin. But even N2 compressors need regular maintenance I would presume.
You're right, people should get a handle on the basic maintenance that will solve 98% of their problems before they worry about the stuff that will address the other 2%.
It's amusing (in a twisted sort of way) when you see people splitting hairs arguing about the marginal benefits of some bolt-on or pour-in product, then they turn around and post something like this:

"My engine started to make a clunking noise - I only had 1 quart of oil left."
"The TPMS light came on going down the highway, so I pulled over and put air in the tires and it went out - but it came on again the next morning so I just ignored it."
"The light on the dash says 'Service Engine Soon' - what should I do?"
"Infiniti recommends premium gas - should I use regular?"

... and any post with the word "thingy" in it.

BTW - here's my source of reliable air:

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2006, 03:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by perfectmax
Just out of curiousity, what do you all think about using N2 for your tires?

Nitrogen:

o Improves Fuel Economy
o Increases Tire Life
o Less Loss of Tire Pressure
o Helps Prevent Uneven Tire Wear
o Reduces Wheel Corrosion
o Tires Run Cooler Adding Tire Life

Any of you guys specifically ask for N2 when you get new tires?
...reduction of corrosion and the associated leaking is a big plus.
C.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
...reduction of corrosion and the associated leaking is a big plus.
C.
Is that REALLY a problem though? N2 will not help tread wear or keep a nail out.
My tires need some air maybe every 4 to 6 weeks (1 or 2 psi) not a big deal IMO.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
"Infiniti recommends premium gas - should I use regular?"

That's my favorite. They believe most everything else in the manual but the fuel recommendation is a conspiracy! LOL

Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i understand making the swith to nitrogen isnt that easy. in order for it to be effective you have to completly remove the regular air you filled up with then fill with nitrogen. and it has to be done more than once to be sure you are getting all of the regular air out. otherwise the benifits are not relized. this is what a tech told me so i could be wrong.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
Is that REALLY a problem though? N2 will not help tread wear or keep a nail out.
My tires need some air maybe every 4 to 6 weeks (1 or 2 psi) not a big deal IMO.
True, It won't help tire wear,.. but reducing moisture in the tire will prevent corrosion in the wheels which will eventually lead to leakage. but that's all. (IMHO).

I can't count how many times I hear people complain about their "leaking cast rims"...... putting in N2 will all but eliminate that issue.

C.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
True, It won't help tire wear,.. but reducing moisture in the tire will prevent corrosion in the wheels which will eventually lead to leakage. but that's all. (IMHO).

I can't count how many times I hear people complain about their "leaking cast rims"...... putting in N2 will all but eliminate that issue.

C.
Might still be a problem on some cheap aftermarket rims. I can remember when leakage was more common but hardly ever hear about it these days.

Don't get me wrong, if an N2 dealer was convenient and did not charge much I might give it shot. I just don't think it's worth the time and effort to hunt one down, for me anyway.