G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Darn Confused now...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Darn Confused now...

I'm around racing alot and had the oppurtunity to drive a couple of 350Zs before making my purchase of the G35C. I'll admit that I have 2 young sons that refuse to go in Mommy's car now and I do like the luxurious feel of the leather gut. I got the AT for obvious reasons, I'm an older(40) guy and have only 1 arm. I had my manual tranny days with a bunch of cars and lastly with a 6 speed '94 Z28 with 475hp.
As far as the track goes, the AT is a very nice, predictable gearbox that takes a very short time getting used to its timing. I spent all weekend on Oct. 25-26th instructing an SCCA drivers school and did 40+ laps around Summit Point raceway. The G handles very well and those Michys are pretty friggin' awesome street tires. Going thru turn 3 at 80+ mph and getting just a tick of understeer at corner entry and getting the tail out just a bit at corner exit WOT tells me I made a great decision in buying this car.
My Dad owns a Porsche and after driving my car he can't get over how well the car is in mid-corner bump steer, very solid and settled feeling. He also can't believe he's driving a $35k car.
Check it:
http://www.dominiontitleservices.com/racepics.htm

JD
2003.5 Coupe, Blk/Blk

132193-240Z at Pocono.jpg

Old 11-04-2003, 03:52 PM

If you post this question over at my350z.com, you'll get a complete oposite set of opinions.

Both cars are awesome at what they were designed for. It all comes down to personal preference. For me, I agree with what most everyone here posted. I test drove a 6mt Z and a 6mt G. I really love the Z, but the G just had that extra little push over the cliff.. as Nigel would say 'this one goes to 11'.

Where do you live if you can't get a test drive of a 6mt coupe? If you're in Dallas, I'll let you drive mine..

Old 11-05-2003, 12:02 AM

I too pined for the Z from it's announcement in the US. I saved my money while I coveted it from afar. I reviewed the website time and time again, rebuilding it over and over again. I even test drove it, 3 times. I drove a 6MT and a 5AT, both made me giddy.

But then someone said to me "the Z is awesome, but have you driven the G35 coupe?" I looked the website, fell in love with the G, back to the Z, then G...on and on for months. Reluctant to get too eager while I was saving, I never did go and drive one.

When the day came, I decided I couldn't buy a Z without even driving a G. Oddly enough, in Van Nuys California the two dealerships are side by side. I stopped at Infiniti first (it was the first driveway, Nissan the 2nd) to test drive the G...

I never made it to Nissan. I was sold before I got back from the test.

Not for nothing but if you like the sound of the Z, pick up a Z intake tube and maybe even swap out the exhaust. You can swap the intake tube for about $50 and I heard one at the SoCal meet and it sounds great above about 3-4000 RPMs. There are several aftermarket exhaust systems for both the z and the G.

IMO you can get everything you liked in the Z but get the stylishness (is that a word?) of the G. I so doubt you will regret it.

'04 Coupe 5AT BS | Premium | NAV | 18" Wheels | Borla Exhaust | Aluminum Pedals | Clear Corners |

Old 11-05-2003, 12:24 AM

I had highly anticipated the 350z, I have a 280zx. Decided to get an 2004 one just in case any fixes might happen after first model year. End of summer I went to check out 350z's. I could not locate a Track options and wen I did, I was disappointed. Drive was excellent, but interior was messed. I was so set on the 350z that I was bummed out for the entire night. Next day, my dad sez, why don't we go look at the Gcoupes. Testdrive a 6MT with prem and nav. I was sold right there, the only reason I didn't buy was they didn't have my color and I didn't want nav. Bought my exact config like I wanted within the week even tho I had to drive 60 miles to get it. Thtz how sold I was on the G. You may regret getting a 350 later, but you won't regret getting a G.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.