G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Best Oil: Motul!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That is incorrect. Mobil is just as "thick" as any other oil in it's viscosity class. (with a range that is). The reason why it pours better when cold is because synthetics feature a MUCH better cold flow capability. Not because it's thinner/thicker. You WANT this of an oil.
What matters is "film strength" and temperature breakdown.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I agree. But that's not what mattered in regards to that particular point. But yes, film strength and resistance to breakdown is very important.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
What matters is "film strength" and temperature breakdown.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL is the best oil money can buy. Real independent lab tests have shown this in the past. It's all I use.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaxGsII
I was a big-time believer in Mobil 1 (what-I-thought-was) 100% synthetic, but not anymore. Had my oil changed at my Performance Shop (JE Performance Imports, Baltimore) today, and the owner (James Evans) told me that Motul (for a whole host of reasons) was the best oil going! Needless to say, for me, it's Motul for the Coupe and FX from now on...

As a non-tech explanation, Motul is derived from Coconuts/Coconut oil and is less likely to build-up in the engine, etc. Plus James told me that I can expect to see 3-4 additional miles per gallon shortly!!!!!! And, it contains a detergent that keeps all valves clean!!!!

Any other Motul believers out there????
Amsoil is better.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by redriderr
Mobil 1 is def the best out of those you mentioned... I've used Shell, Mobile, Motul, repsol (bike), Amsoil. All those are good and I can barely tell the difference between them with the exception of the Amsoil...it feels smoother and lasts longer.
Not anymore. Actually Penzoil Platinum is better and cheaper than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is a Group III oil now, not a full synthetic.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by partyman66
This is not true about the Mobil 1 Oil to my knowledge. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil is actually a real true full Synthetic oil or at least it used to be as of a few months ago unless they've recently changed their formula. Amsoil, Redline and Motul are also true synthetics.

Castrol's American-Market "Full Synthetic" oil is actually not a true synthetic. They managed to get classified as a full synthetic becuase of some loophole in the standards of what is required for an oil to be classified as a Synthetic. The only true Full Synthetic Castrol oil out there is the German Castrol 0W30 oil which you can buy at Auto Zone for about $6 a quart.

Not anymore. I suggest read up on BITOG forums and do your research. It is no longer a true full synthetic like it use to be. They are cutting back on costs and went to a Group III base oil and not a PAO anymore. It just happened and has been tested on several virgin oil samples.

Amsoil, Redline, and Motul are the only ones that arre fully 100% synthetic.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chilibowl
or just take that oil to a jiffy lube.
That's like asking Mickey Dee's to cook you a prime rib!!
Take it to a good independent mechanic or an Nissan dealer (usually cheaper than Infiniti).

JL is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Red Card Crew

Wow. I sorta just ignored anything Penzoil. Their Platinum synthetic has tested well over there? I'll have to see if they have it at Walmart.

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Not anymore. Actually Penzoil Platinum is better and cheaper than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is a Group III oil now, not a full synthetic.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
walmart has mobil 1 and mobil 1 ep, penzoil platinum, and castrol syntenc

Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Nice post. Very informative.

Originally Posted by ballisticus
Mobil 1 in the USA is now a group III base oil. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, it pretty much equals the "True" synthetic PAO's in performance except in very cold condition (-40 degrees) pour point. The main gripe people have is that Mobil is now using a less expensive Group III base stock, but charging the same for the product. Group III based oils can legally be called Synthetic as they are very highly processed and converted from crude sources.

The new Mobil 1 is still an excellent oil and will protect very well, but some don't like that Mobil didn't cut the price and pocketed the extra profits. Amazing. I thought companies were supposed to be as profitable as possible for their shareholders. This is America, not state run after all.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wow. I sorta just ignored anything Penzoil. Their Platinum synthetic has tested well over there? I'll have to see if they have it at Walmart.
Yep! And it's like 3 bucks cheaper a quart too. Many recommend it. It performs really good.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Red Card Crew

I won't touch it unless I see something on it. If you have the bitog link, let me know

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yep! And it's like 3 bucks cheaper a quart too. Many recommend it. It performs really good.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Instead of blindly following recommendations of individuals who might not even be knowledgeable enough to pass along recommendations, why not send in a sample of your oil at your next oil change interval to Blackstone Laboratories or the like.

Some of you guys maintain such a short oil change interval that it would not matter what oil you used as long as the weight was correct. I would like to see how many individuals who are so meticulous regarding their oil change interval change their coolant and brake fluid with such regularity.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
u guys should try ENEOS oil. i sell the stuff at my honda dealership over the counter, as well as AMSOIL, Mobil1, TORCO, Royal Puple Oil. ENEOS has i.m.o. has netted me the smoothest feeling ride.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by spendgy
I would like to see how many individuals who are so meticulous regarding their oil change interval change their coolant and brake fluid with such regularity.
Raises hand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Oil: Motul!!!