G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Clicking Sound

Hey everyone.

I have a 06 G35 5AT with about 8500 miles on it ever since July. Just today I started hearing this clicking sound that was coming from the back. I thought it was just due to cold air and the car was cold, but it wasn't. I just got back home from work and my car is still making the clicking sound; even when the car is off. I'm very concerned about this because I do baby my car a lot and I want to know if this is a major issue. My car is due in service by next month or pretty much now since it said on the sticker "due in service by 1/20/07 or 8338 miles." I pretty much passed 8338 miles because of commuting to school (suburbs and back to the city) and going to work obviously.

Anyone know what exactly that clicking sound is? Its driving me nuts!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If it does it while the car is moving(accelerating mainly), there is a TSB to cover it. Not sure if the TSB applies to the 2006's or not, but I had this repair done on my 2004 Coupe. It's a real common problem that most G's have at some point.

You said something about it doing it when the car is off though. If it does it when the car is off.. that's strange. Might just be exhaust heat dissipating, although that won't really hear that once the car is warmed up and still running. That usually happens when the car is hot, and you just shut it off. Maybe your car is making the rear axel clicking noise, and you're just confusing the noise of the exhaust and engine ticking from heat with the sound of the rear axel click.

Do a search and you should be able to find like 100+ threads on this issue including a link to the official Infiniti TSB covering the repair procedure.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Hmm. I did the search thing, but I'm not quite sure of what it could be. It could either be the exhaust clicking or axle clicking. It clicks when I am at a full stop, in Drive, Neutral, and Reverse. This is under warranty right? Is this fixable? I thought this kind of problem would have been fixed when the 06-07 G's came out.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Yes, just take it to the dealer... mine is doing it too. The mechanic said it's nothing to worry about. Apparently there's an area where rust builds in the axel and that's why you're getting clicks. They basically rip the rear axel off and lube it up. Make sure you get a loaner when you take your car in for this. I'm getting mine done this week.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
I take it this takes a day to get everything fixed? Or is it possible just to wait at the dealer til they are finished? I'm basically free for a whole month until I go back to school again.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz112
Hey everyone.

I have a 06 G35 5AT with about 8500 miles on it ever since July. Just today I started hearing this clicking sound that was coming from the back. I thought it was just due to cold air and the car was cold, but it wasn't. I just got back home from work and my car is still making the clicking sound; even when the car is off. I'm very concerned about this because I do baby my car a lot and I want to know if this is a major issue. My car is due in service by next month or pretty much now since it said on the sticker "due in service by 1/20/07 or 8338 miles." I pretty much passed 8338 miles because of commuting to school (suburbs and back to the city) and going to work obviously.

Anyone know what exactly that clicking sound is? Its driving me nuts!
If it's clicking when the car is off, that is just the exhaust cooling and contracting. Almost all cars do this. But if your car is clicking when changing directions from a stop, Like stopping from a forward roll, then putting it in reverse and go backwards, that is the axle TSB, and the dealer should be able to fix ASAP.