G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

smooth sifting, impossible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krishlad81
The only way I have found to shift smoothly is to shift 1-2 early. When I say early I mean as the car starts rolling shift to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd, 3-4, and the rest are pretty smooth.

I shift 1-2 early when I have passengers - otherwise, driving alone - I don't care about the jolts as mentioned before.

+1 i do the same, shifting early is only way unless u concentrate 110% like the other guy said!

...but im sure all this jerking & jolting will make our engine mounts wear prematurely!!

anyone had to replace theirs yet?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as stated above if you shift very early you will get it....but there are times that under normal driving i get it perfectly smooth....its sick that when i do this i feel like i acomplished something big lol.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
smooth

rev matching our car when shifting if very hard, I've gotten it down to being pretty smooth. Our car isn't drive by wire, so I think the feel of the pedals isnt exactly insync with the tranny. my bro who drives a supra did it pretty easy though(rev matching)...pissed me off

Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something that I've found that helps a bit is tweaking your seating position. I sit a little closer than normal because it allows a better bend of the knee that allows better control. There's a specific point in the take-up where the clutch grabs. Having the slightly better leverage and control on the knee allows you to transition through this point more smoothly, rather than the knee being at a weak point and simply having to release the clutch abruptly at that point.

Keep in mind, this seemed like a small difference in contol and leverage, but it was enough to allow better control upon clutch release, most importantly, at that crucial point of engagement. The seat adjustment wasn't more than .5" to 1". Play around a bit and see if you can find a similar improvement. The high engagement-point requires some adjustment in seating, IMO, and the grabby clutch emphasizes abrupt engagement. And, of course, smooth clutch operation is only beneficial at the point of engagement.

You're just trying to make it so that your knee is in it's stronger, natural range-of-motion at the clutch engagement-point. It's helped me minimize the 6MT's characteristics.

All that^ said, all of the timing tips, etc. also apply. This is just another tip for making the most of it.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Hahaha ebuy man! Didn't I not teach you enuff last time in BK!? I can drive my car like its an automatic...with or without the clutch. Ya just gotta take the time to learn how the tranny and clutch works in our cars. Yes they do suck compared to others...but it just means you gotta work to find the sweet spots. Once ya do it becomes first nature man. Next meet we have...ill try and give ya some tips.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
yea i can pretty much drive it very almost perfectly...alot of people say i drive it extremly well, but my smoothness is usually only 99%, where every so often i catch that 100% and it annoys me i cant hit that everytime.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you start to come of the clutch quicker it should smooth it out, it worked for me.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by AthenG
hahaha, my wife always compare me to her Boss (A Woman) and she keep telling me that when she rides with her on her Z4 that it is so smooth and that I dont know how to drive stick I keep explaining to her that it is not me and driving smooth to 1st to 2nd doesn't mean she's a great driver
umm.. you hit her after that, right?!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Driving in city traffic I find that the quick 1-2 shift and then rev higher in 2nd, skip 3rd and shift to 4th works the best for me. The seat adjustment is important too, that .5 to 1 inch in moving the seat closer works, I always have to adjust the seat depending on what type of shoes I wear. Thank god for the telescoping wheel.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
thanks for the help guys, but i noticed the only way i get a smoth shift is at low rpms of if i release the clutch extremly slowly.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
by the way gladic, your short throw makes u shift nice lol

Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I have the same problem, one thing I try is to not take your foot totally off the gas when you clutch in, just pull it back a hair. This lets the rpm's drop more slowly (than if your foot was off the gas) and you can kinda time it so that when you release the clutch the rpm's are where you want them (rev-matched), and you get a smooth shift.

I caught part of a call on Cartalk on NPR the other day where one of the hosts said he drove the Z and never stalled a car so much, so I guess it is a tough clutch.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Now with the shortened shift **** too...my shift throw is even lower ebuy

Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish I could somehow put a camera near the pedals, and a camera on the ceiling, so you guys could see some smooth shifting. Ebuy, ive flamed you in the past, but I know what its like. I got this car back in April, and it was hell for the first month, and every month I simply improved more and more. Ive got it down 100%, but once you learn, youll get it. I can shift every gear smoothly, with no clanking or anything. Just keep practicing.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by in2win
Our car isn't drive by wire, so I think the feel of the pedals isnt exactly insync with the tranny. my bro who drives a supra did it pretty easy though(rev matching)...pissed me off
You're mistaken about the drive-by-wire claim for the G35.. our cars are in fact drive-by-wire. Believe it or not, it's actually easier to rev match with drive-by-wire if you know what you are doing, because your throttle application is more precise than with a cable.. allowing for greater accuracy in performing precisely rev-matched shifts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: smooth sifting, impossible