G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6mt = Auto in 0-60?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 6mt = Auto in 0-60?

DragonGcoupe please be careful about using absolute/definitive terms, you will start a 5at vs 6mt war again, like you almost did a couple of posts up. No one wants it, no one needs it, everybody is tired of it. Just keep it in mind. I was actually very glad to read all of the other posts in this thread that were well mannered, maybe everyone should go back and read the last CLOSED war thread and then come back here to post.

I myslef have an AT, I do regreat at times that I didnt get the manual for the extra fun as I enjoy driving every time I get in my baby. And also the brembos are sweet, I cant see them being much better at braking though, as the stock AT brakes are really great, especially with upgraded pads. This is my daily driver and will remain so for a long time, Im hoping by the time the GT-R comes out Ill pay off my G and buy the the GT-R as my fun car, of course in stick

And as far as 0-60 time difference I would say about .3 is right with a skilled MT driver not some noob that just got in the MT for the first time. On the street, they will be so close you cant tell. I played with a couple of what look like stock MTs on the higway a bunch of times. And with just my Borla exchaust on I was able to keep us side by side no problem.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 11-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I'm tired of this. Since anyone who really wants a stick will just buy the stick and not worry about how fast the AT is, I'm assuming you're thinking AT but are worried that it turns your car into a Camry. Search any thread ever posted on this board on this topic, and you will find that's not the case. They're very close. Statistics would be a dumb thing to base your decision upon. Frankly, even if they weren't that close, it'd be a dumb thing to base your decision upon.

If you have to ask, you should buy the AT. Because nobody would ever say, "well I really wanted the MT more, but I read that the AT was almost as fast, so I bought that instead." That's just stupid. Either you want to row gears most of the time or you don't. 0.3 seconds on those few occassions when you can lay both cars full out isn't going to result in much of a lifestyle change. It's the next 3 years you're going to spend in the car that you should be thinking about.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 11-19-2003, 10:52 PM
G SQUAD

[flamesuit]I'm with JDMan, if you're asking about buying an Auto, then you're not man enough for a stick. Go buy your fem-mobile and stop asking about the man version of the car. [/flamesuit]

With that said, I smoked a G35 a week ago so bad it made me choke on my gum as I laughed my way to the second traffic light. Beating him off the line was an understatement. Feeding the clutch from 5000rpm quickly put me quickly in the lead and left him "bouncing" in his seat to pick up speed. (Gotta love 17 year olds who think "bouncing" adds speed.)

Anyway, if you're half competent in manual tranny, you'll beat an auto every time. If you're "average" (whatever the f--- that means) then most likely you're not trying hard enough. Try harder the next time.

The only place I can see the auto coming in handy is downshifting for picking up speed. Unless you know your tranny and engine you're most likely going to get bogged in a gear and not get in the sweet spot right away. THAT comes with experience in your car.

Bottom line - its a sports car. Unless you're in traffic, you should drive it in proper sports car configuration, which does not include an auto tranny.

03.5 6spd DG/G aero pk/kit + Hyper Grounded
FX35 Blk/Brick Tech pkg
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ryoken on 11/19/03 07:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-19-2003, 11:04 PM

I gotta say that one of the reasons that I love stick (manual) over an automatic is because you control the acceleration of the car so much better in the MT because you have control of how you let out the clutch while accelerating. This is where that .3 seconds in accleration is made up.

I am a MT enthusiast and I love to feel every bit of my driving. That is why I bought this car. IMO, I think that it is a waste to buy a sports car if you cannot really feel the driving... but then again, I live .5 mile from work and I don't have to deal with the commute in traffic (silicon valley area).... So I can understand why people buy the AT, but the driving experience in a AT is not as true as a driving experience in a MT coupe.

I am not trying to start a war, but I am just stating my opinion. Plus I really like the Brembos and the sport tires... However, the stopping distance from 60-0 is only 2 ft shorter for the Brembos over the regular brakes. However, they are supposed to last longer than the regular brakes.

My 2 cents.

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 11-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be only a 2 foot stopping difference but that may mean the difference between being 2 foot into someones trunk or stoppping just in time.

Jim

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM

i can take everything except it's a sports car comment...G35 coupe is not a sports car no matter what!!! btw then what about the corvettes come with AT tranny and Camero(spell?)SS with AT tranny... both will eat your SPORTS CAR breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack.. see comments like you make worse... instead of extinguish the flame, you just spilled 10tons of gasoline around the flame.. BTW manual can't be better than current while AT tranny is still in the process of getting better... AT tranny improved a lot compare to early 90s... car maker already came out with smg type but it's still quite expensive to put on every car... smg is manual but most people don't call them manual cuz they say no clutch = AT... smg shifts faster than manual but there is a lag at the flywheel that makes .1sec slower than MT... within 10years, AT will be able to outperforms MT(of course AT in high class cars not like on civics, integs)...
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by uheenada on 11/19/03 08:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-20-2003, 02:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on people~ you manual people leave the auto people alone, and vice versa. Auto or manual the G35C is a wonderful car, there is no need to put down each other to make yourself feel slightly more superior at the end of the day...... (check Brembo brakes - evil grin)

Old 11-20-2003, 09:05 AM

Exactly Sukairain .... for all that missed the last flame war read it here and stop the bull$hit https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part= Knock yourselves out ...its all been said a million times allready!. I am sure if you guys continue this the way you had, mods will close this one too, and it will become another useless thread

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 11-20-2003, 12:28 PM

Of the three cars mentioned, only the Corvette is truly a "sports car" b/c of its two-seater configuration. Camaros are sports coupes, and the G35C is a sports coupe.

SMG is "Sequential Manual Gearbox". Therefore, it makes no sense to assert that "most people don't call them manual cuz they say no clutch = AT". It is by definition a manual gearbox. It simply does its job in a unorthodox manner. The SMG in most applications, executes shifts much more quickly than even the most experienced, and dextrous humans. Contrary to your statement, uheenada, there is a hydraulically-assisted clutch. There is simply no clutch pedal to depress. Further, it is clear, that there is no torque convertor, which removes SMGs from consideration in the "automatic transmission" category.

At any rate, SMG applications in the Ferrari 360 and the M3 are more than capable of equaling or exceeding the performance figures of their conventional manual gearbox counterparts. However, without a torque convertor, the SMGs do not seem to perform well in "automatic" mode. Shifts are often described as rough, or abrupt. I have witnessed this in a 360 Modeno Spyder, that seemed to lurch with each shift in automatic mode.

Bottomline is that SMGs are not automatic transmissions. The AT tranny in the G35 coupe is a fine transmission. I prefer my 6MT, but that is just me. There is no need to be defensive about your transmission choice. Enjoy your car and try to ignore any inferences of inferiority with respect to automatic transmissions. There are probably coupe owners with ATs that can drive MTs better than some of the MT owners on this board. The choice of transmission simply reflects a lifestyle decision that better works for that person. If my commute was excruciatingly onerous, I would not have purchased a 6MT. Hell, I probalby would not have purchased a G35 coupe, because I would get pi$$ed off everyday that I couldn't row the gears. More than likely, I would have opted for a SUV or V8 coupe that doesn't offer a manual.

Seriously, none of this is meant to be a flame.

Old 11-23-2003, 02:50 PM

In response to:

Poster: Balzac72
Subject: Re: 6mt = Auto in 0-60?

I'm calling BS on this one

5AT- premiumpackage /performance package/ K&N

Old 11-23-2003, 04:04 PM

lol i knew it someone will always gonna post SMGs are not At tranny.. of course it's not didn't i stated that already?? you just wasted your time bro cuz i already know how it works... i thought most people buy MT for CLUTCH???? and truly manual people don't want SMG cuz it doesn't have CLUTCH... and it's soooooooooo true that SMG is MANUAL but most people treat them as AUTOMATIC(this doesn't mean it's automatic though use your common sense)... and it makes no sense to me why you don't call smg as automatic... think about it.. no clutch(computer control this isn't this Auto?), has fully AT function(Matic??) add both them.. AutoMatic??? lol you get the point...

Old 11-23-2003, 06:09 PM

The Gcoupe is a elegant 350z. If you want a luxury sport car go buy a SC430 or a Mercedes, they are much quieter and come in only AT so you don't have to worry about it.

MT drivers never regret buying MT. End of story.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:34 PM

i know what you guys tryin to say, but listen to my thoughts again.. i never said smg is not manual, i said SMG is manual a lot of times on my previous replies, and i know how smg works cuz i already researched on it... but it's not a truly manual... i like smg better than anything, but there's no clutch to press... if people think manual, 3 pedals, and shifter will pop out from their head right away... and smg and automatic transmission works totally different but the feelin and how it drives is very similar to each other... SMG, it's really faster shift version of manumatic mode...and i'll say it again, smg works very different than AT.. such as no tq converter and yada yada yada... but really, what driver feels will be faster version of manuamtic mode.. you just shift up and down the shifter and computer will do everything else... and mostly, anybody can drive smg cars without practice but manual cars not... and i will say this again... smg is manual transmission but it's really behave like an AT tranny.. that's my point... i never said smg is AT, i said it's alike AT tranny... and smg has full At mode just like in D mode in AT and manual mode like manumatic mode in AT... anybody still confused???
P.S i think there should be 3 different trannys..
SMG, AT, and Manual... SMG is manual but it behaves so similar to AT...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6mt = Auto in 0-60?