G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil burning/Roaring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil burning/Roaring?

I've been reading a lot about members having problem with oil burning and a roaring sound coming from the front end. Related?

I trust drove an 04 G35 coupe automatic, I would really like to purhcase, it had a roaring noise, but handled and drove well. The seller told me "Oh it's cause it hasn't been driven in awhile, that's why it makes that noise" Which is a bit true, the tire was a tad flat on the left side. I'm guessing the car has stood there for awhile at the dealership.

Comments?
I'd love to purchase this car, but I don't want it to burn oil or make odd noise.
How can I check if it burns oil before I buy it?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM
"roaring" might be a tire very low on air but you'd probably only hear it while taking a corner. And I'm sure anyone who tells you the car they are selling is making a noise because it hasn't been driven in a while will probably be happy to warranty any problem associated with that noise....

The only way to check for oil burning is to fill the car with oil and drive it for some amount of miles. Then check the oil again. The cars on this forum that burn oil are burning more than 1qt every 1000 miles.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Before even thinking about buying this car, I would:

1. Get the VIN and run a Carfax on it

2. Take the VIN to your nearest Infiniti dealership service department and ask them to print out a copy of its service history for you. Also, ask them how much they would charge to inspect the car for you. If its a reasonable amount and you are really are interested in purchasing the car, then you may want to pay for the inspection.

3. Ask the dealer selling the car to give you the name and contact info of the previous owner and try to call them to ask about any problems they had with the car (like oil burning or the front end "roar" you noticed). The dealer may or may not have this info. (In Kentucy is the law; the dealer must supply the name and contact info of the previous owner upon request of a potential buyer).

Last edited by DocJohn; 01-25-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Yea, do what the Doc said ^^^. Also check there aint excessive smoke comming out of the exhaust. I seriously doubt that its burning oil already (these engines are bulletproof) but just a thought

Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by DocJohn
Before even thinking about buying this car, I would:

1. Get the VIN and run a Carfax on it

2. Take the VIN to your nearest Infiniti dealership service department and ask them to print out a copy of its service history for you. Also, ask them how much they would charge to inspect the car for you. If its a reasonable amount and you are really are interested in purchasing the car, then you may want to pay for the inspection.

3. Ask the dealer selling the car to give you the name and contact info of the previous owner and try to call them to ask about any problems they had with the car (like oil burning or the front end "roar" you noticed). The dealer may or may not have this info. (In Kentucy is the law; the dealer must supply the name and contact info of the previous owner upon request of a potential buyer).
Very good advice!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion, the roaring at the front end is the tires. I have an 04 with no mechanical problems. I have the original 18" tires. The front tires LOOK fine as far as wear goes, but after about 13k miles, the ROAR, and I mean ROAR began and hasn't stopped. The silence when I put my winter wheels and tires on is truly golden. It is the tires. Especially if they are the Michelin summer tires.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM
If the tire was low, why didn't the TPS go off?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 03 6mt coupe and noticed a engine noise on start up first. now about 2 weeks later I can smell oil and see plumes of smoke at shifts and start up. Oil consumption is up.
I have 2 mods on my G. A K&N intake and Exhaust Header and down pipes.
53000 Km's. The dealer installed the intake and I had a mechanic install the headers.
I have an appointment at the dealer on the 27th but would like to know if there is a problem will they still honor the warranty or do you think they will say it will not be covered due to the mods?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sinister350GT
I have a 03 6mt coupe and noticed a engine noise on start up first. now about 2 weeks later I can smell oil and see plumes of smoke at shifts and start up. Oil consumption is up.
I have 2 mods on my G. A K&N intake and Exhaust Header and down pipes.
53000 Km's. The dealer installed the intake and I had a mechanic install the headers.
I have an appointment at the dealer on the 27th but would like to know if there is a problem will they still honor the warranty or do you think they will say it will not be covered due to the mods?
they would have to prove your mods
was the "cause" of the failure.

your good to go!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As you read the threads in the forums, you'll find posts and posts and more posts about the roar. Apparently and if i'm not mistaken, it's the tires and that G35 has a set factory negative camber that cause feathering in the inner tread of the tires causing the roar. Bought my 03 6MT coupe used, and at the time of test driving it at the dealership, there was and to this day, has a roar...so does my co-workers 04 5AT coupe. Don't know about the oil consumption but all my previous cars(hondas) ate oil, maybe about a quart or two added between oil changes.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
EZZ
The vast majority of the oil consumptions seem to be the rev-up engines. So keep that in mind.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:03 AM
its okay..if you are burning oil then at least youll get a new engine

Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Cassman
In my opinion, the roaring at the front end is the tires. I have an 04 with no mechanical problems. I have the original 18" tires. The front tires LOOK fine as far as wear goes, but after about 13k miles, the ROAR, and I mean ROAR began and hasn't stopped. The silence when I put my winter wheels and tires on is truly golden. It is the tires. Especially if they are the Michelin summer tires.
My '04 with the original Michelin PS summer only tires sounds exactly the same as you described. I now have 17K miles on these tires and the roar really is annoying at times.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by DocJohn
My '04 with the original Michelin PS summer only tires sounds exactly the same as you described. I now have 17K miles on these tires and the roar really is annoying at times.
It drowns out all my rattles though At least our models don't have excessive oil consumption

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by EZZ
It drowns out all my rattles though At least our models don't have excessive oil consumption

lol..good point. exhaust also helps drown out noises..lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil burning/Roaring?