G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Using Tire Chains w/ 19" Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Tire Chains w/ 19" Wheels?

I live in Seattle and don't feel it's necessary to purchase winter tires just for the 0-2 minor snow storms per year. However, there will likely be situations where I'll be forced to drive in snowy conditions for a short period of time.

Does anyone have any experience using tire chains with the stock 19" rims (w/ summer tires)? I'm wondering if it's possible without damaging the car/rims, and if it provides adequate traction/control? If so, a specific brand/type recommendation would be awesome.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
nothing good can come of putting chains on your wheels.

my advice. go get yourself a cordless impact wrench and one of those floor jacks that only needs two pumps to go to full height.

Then get a set of rims, whatever condition it doesn't matter, even size doesn't matter, throw a set of snow tires on them, and use them when when you need to.

With the jack and the impact wrench changing out all 4 ties shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes.

Sure this may cost more. But think about what could happen if you throw a chain or go sliding into a curb in the snow.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
ur insane i would never put chains on my g take the bus when it snows

Old 01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
He's probably referring to CABLES, not chains. But they would be a pain to put on. Plus since the main roads are generally clear, you would be hampered by the slow top speeds. ie.. 40mph or something.

You have a performance RWD car with performance summer tires. Deathwish 2000 in the snow. The trade off for that performance and handling is you need to get some (at the very least) all seasons or better yet, a set of dedicated snow tires. I highly suggest getting some oem 17s or 18s and put some SNOW tires on them. Then just drive on those for a few weeks out of the year.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
i think that'll damage the rims.. i wouldn't recommend it

Old 01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay Home When It Snows That Much ! ! ! !

Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate snow when I want to drive, my car is all over the place when the road is icy, lol... The 6mt part doesn't help either

Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the amount of snow you get up there, buy a set of rims and put All Season tires on. It will be more than enough traction for the cold months. If you do your homework, you can find a set that handle very well too. My $.02

Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there snow tires that actually have little spikes built into them. i live in florida so we never worry about things like this, but in the james bond films and a few other films when the cars were on ice they had these little metal stubs that came out of the tire...Im sure this is fake and just made up, but you never know these days. Has anyone seen these before?

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Well I just called Les Schwab and the guy said that chains would likely damage the rims and he wouldn't recommend it.

This sucks because where I live I really don't think it's worth the $$$ for winter rims/tires when it only snows once or twice at the most. At the same time it really sucks being completely immobilized on those days.

Ugh.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Um.... you have got to be effin' kidding me right? haha!

You mean studs, stud.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Is there snow tires that actually have little spikes built into them. i live in florida so we never worry about things like this, but in the james bond films and a few other films when the cars were on ice they had these little metal stubs that came out of the tire...Im sure this is fake and just made up, but you never know these days. Has anyone seen these before?

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G

-sean
lol.

yes those are called studded tires, and they are indeed basically metal stubs. I went to school in Montana and had studded tires in the winter when I was there...

they work well but they really tear up the roads.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in seattle as well, and I think its totally worth it to have winter wheels/tires, not just for snow, but to limit wear and tear on my summer wheels from the winter weather. Also, I would think you would need 2 sets of chains for the front and the rear because if you mount on the front, you won't get traction to start, and if you only put on the rear, you won't be able to steer or brake effectively. Just invest in some winter wheels and tires, if you use them sparingly, they should last at least 3 seasons

Old 01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um.... you have got to be effin' kidding me right? haha!

You mean studs, stud.
HAHAHA!!! well i guess it could be either way because a stub is:

1. short projecting part.
2. a short remaining piece, as of a pencil, candle, or cigar

So i could be talking about a stub of metal comming out of the tire, but yes a stud. Thats what i thought i typed...and i guess i didnt haha!!

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
0_0 DO NOT put cables on your 19's. I'm pretty sure it will mess up the low profile tires. Also, the tires that Infiniti uses with these 19's are summer performance tires. This basically means that they have a tolerance for high temperatures but when it's cold out, the rubber becomes harder and you lose LOTS of traction. Just get the dedicated snow tires + rims for those parts of the year when snow would be a problem. It's a lot safer to spend $$$ on dedicated snow tires & rims than on repairing damage to your G after a bad accident from no traction.

Also, I'm pretty sure they do not have tires with studs anymore because they totally ruin the roads. :P

Buttt.... do what you want. This is jmo. :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using Tire Chains w/ 19" Wheels?