G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

'04 6mt coupe started Grinding 5th gear - need help before dealing with dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by .moO^.
My 03' grinds in 3rd gear almost everytime when it's not warmed up. But i'm afraid if I take it in and leave it overnight, next morning th tech drives it they'll give me the same BS saying they don't experience it.

They may not. If not, drive it until it gets worse and even more consistent. Eventually it will be replaced or repaired under warranty.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for.....I'm hoping it gets worst so they can replace this damn thing.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
I just brought in my 03 coupe to the dealer regarding the 5th gear grind. Problem being its an intermittent problem, mostly happening when its cold out. I drove it in this morning to them and it was fine, so I doubt they'll do anything now. My warranty is coming up too, so maybe I'll bring it to another dealership but drop it off overnight and hope the tech feels the grind. Its getting warmer out too so that's no helping....

Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 AM
supposedly the tech drove mine last night and this morning and could not duplicate the sound. now when I go to pick it up I will have to duplicate it with him in the car. I would say for others that you just demand to drive with the tech before ever leaving in the first place. This way its guaranteed that they know what the problem is and what you're trying to describe. Just make sure they don't then try to blame it on your shifting habit.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
The reason i say replace the clutch even if its not slipping or anything is because it says you headaches and time and money

Old 03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
alright well the tech was not able to replicate mine so when I got to the dealership I drove with him in the car and he did hear the problem. He told me this is normal behavior especially at low speeds due to the 5th and 6th gear synchros being made from cast-iron while the other gear synchros are of a different material. He explained that the sound was normal and wasn't hurting the transmission. I was able to get him to hear the sound several times also. Hopefully what he told me is true. I am going to be very careful with it in the meantime. If it gets worse I will certainly return to the dealership.

Anyone know if there is any truth to his claim that the 5th and 6th gears are cast iron while the others are not?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
My clutch was replaced along with my tranny @ 28k miles, but it was because of a faulty flywheel causing wear on my Clutch prematurely. They just did it for me without me asking them to and let me know about it when I picked up the car.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
When to pick up the car, and said the tech didn't see any problems with 5th gear. Something else they were supposed to look at wasn't done, so they'll complete it in the morning and look at the 5th gear again. Hope its better this time as the car will sit overnight instead of me driving it in.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump from the dead.

I never read up on this issue, I just happened to notice it myself and had the dealer check it out since I'm coming up on the end of my warranty. My problem with the 5th gear grind is reproducible every time I try. So if any of you have trouble reproducing it try this trick. It happens for me every time I shift quickly into 5th gear. I can be shifting from any gear into 5th (from 3rd, 4th or 6th) and provided you do it quickly enough it will grind. The trick is to do it *quickly*, you don't even have to be revving high. I can cruise at 40 mph in 4th gear, clutch to the floor shift into 5th right away and it will grind. If you wait a half second, it won't grind. So timing is the key. When I took it to the dealer I actually drove with the tech, him behind the wheel. He tried and it was fine. Upon next shift I said "next time put the clutch the floor, but shift quicker" which he did and reproduced it every time thereafter.

I dropped it off the next week for them to fix, they called me back and said they were replacing the entire trans. I have an 04 G35 coupe with 57k miles on it.

Now a separate side question for anyone out there, how much should the dealer be charging me for a new clutch, taking into consideration the trans will already be taken out? The trans is covered under warranty, but if the clutch is 70% or more gone I'll likely replace that as well at my cost. But he said it would cost $500 and change (normally $900+). I looked up the cost of the parts online and it doesn't appear that it should be any more than $100-200 in parts. What do you guys think?

Old 11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Aren't cluches expensive? Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe its the clutches I was looking at.
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned
Whatever it is, its probably normal.. The G clutch/transmission isn't all that smooth to begin with. Also, the manual also states that u much press the clutch in "ALL THE WAY IN" on every shift. Some people just half azz it and not press the clutch in all the way.

Causing future problems.... "Hard getting into gears"....

Our transmission aren't as smooth as other makes... The G has the worse engagement point and smoothness...

Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by mrg1
Whatever it is, its probably normal.. The G clutch/transmission isn't all that smooth to begin with. Also, the manual also states that u much press the clutch in "ALL THE WAY IN" on every shift. Some people just half azz it and not press the clutch in all the way.

Causing future problems.... "Hard getting into gears"....

Our transmission aren't as smooth as other makes... The G has the worse engagement point and smoothness...
While I can understand your logic, if this was a case with me not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor with every shift (which isn't necessary), then why would it only affect 5th gear? You would think it would affect 2nd gear first since the 1->2 gear shift is done the most frequently.

I've had the car for 3 years now and this problem just surfaced, or maybe I just noticed it, within the past 6 months. To be fair, I grew up with Honda transmissions. My last car was an 02 Acura RSX 6 speed and that clutch only had to be pressed in maybe a half inch for it to allow you to shift. Ask anybody and they'll tell you it's not necessary to press the clutch to the floor to shift, with any car. It might be best practice, but let's be honest here. That being said I would say I probably press the clutch about 80% of the way to the floor with each shift. That should not cause this problem to arise with any gear, let alone just the 5th gear.

But I digress...at this point I'm just looking for some opinions on the dealer doing the clutch and what the cost should be.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned
By not pressing the clutch ALL THE WAY IN, you can destroy your synchros.. Read the manual.

And the Acura, well, their transmission are more solid then ours... Take a good luck under your dash.. You'll see a crappy swtich under the clutch pedal that allows you to start the car. wtf is that??? haha.. The Acura has a line built in and no tacky swtich on the clutch..

I dont know why shlt happends to our car, but most of the time it's user error.

Originally Posted by slizzap
While I can understand your logic, if this was a case with me not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor with every shift (which isn't necessary), then why would it only affect 5th gear? You would think it would affect 2nd gear first since the 1->2 gear shift is done the most frequently.

I've had the car for 3 years now and this problem just surfaced, or maybe I just noticed it, within the past 6 months. To be fair, I grew up with Honda transmissions. My last car was an 02 Acura RSX 6 speed and that clutch only had to be pressed in maybe a half inch for it to allow you to shift. Ask anybody and they'll tell you it's not necessary to press the clutch to the floor to shift, with any car. It might be best practice, but let's be honest here. That being said I would say I probably press the clutch about 80% of the way to the floor with each shift. That should not cause this problem to arise with any gear, let alone just the 5th gear.

But I digress...at this point I'm just looking for some opinions on the dealer doing the clutch and what the cost should be.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:11 PM
They replaced my clutch free when they replaced my tranny. I took it in they heard a noise in the tranny said it was bad so they were replacing the whole thing, during that time i told them to check the clutch to while the tranny is off so they did. and it was wearing prematurely and replaced it free. they blamed it on the tranny going bad . If i did know they were going to replace it tough i prob would have told them to upgrade it to a better clutch so they dont have to pull it all down again :X

Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by frog
They replaced my clutch free when they replaced my tranny. I took it in they heard a noise in the tranny said it was bad so they were replacing the whole thing, during that time i told them to check the clutch to while the tranny is off so they did. and it was wearing prematurely and replaced it free. they blamed it on the tranny going bad . If i did know they were going to replace it tough i prob would have told them to upgrade it to a better clutch so they dont have to pull it all down again :X
How many miles did you have on it when it was replaced? I have 57k miles on my car so I'm betting my chances aren't good that they'll replace the clutch under warranty. But it's worth a shot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '04 6mt coupe started Grinding 5th gear - need help before dealing with dealership