G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Quirk Nissan in Quincy, MA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quirk Nissan in Quincy, MA

I usually change my oil myself, but since it's been cold up here in MA, I figured I'd pay someone to change it. Jackpot...I found a coupon online for the Nissan dealership near my house. $14.99...not too bad, epecially for a dealer.

I was wondering what the catch was...an HOUR plus later in the waiting area, the sales guy walks up to me with a glum face and tells me I need new brakes and rotors for the front. He made it sound like the world was ending. He quotes me $1400!!! $500 per rotor, $60 per pad, and $300 for labor!!! He said they cost alot because they're Brembos, but that's crazy! I felt like he was holding my car hostage until I told him that I would call him and schedule an appt with him later in the week.

I'm def not going back there. I looked at the pads myself and I feel like it's still has some good life in them. The car runs and stops like a champ, but now he's got me feeling like I need new brakes ASAP. I feel like I saved a couple of bucks, but sacrificed my piece of mind.

So I got a few questions for you guys:
Do you guys think I should trust the dealer? I checked the pads myself and I have about the thickness of a plastic CD case left.

I'm considering a DIY job but I've never done it. Everyone seems to say it's pretty easy...has anyone ever had trouble doing it? What kind of trouble could I run into?

Also I see the DIY brake job in DIY forum
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension-diy/52272-diy-5at-brakes-rotors-diy-oh-my.html
..are there any additional steps for Brembos?
I called Midas and Meineke and they told me they won't touch the Brembo breaks because they're performance parts and need to be done at a dealer or performance shop.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:58 PM
why do you need new rotors? just get them "cut" or resurfaced, as for the pads... buy them online.. I too do my own work but yes it has been cold up here. look around for a private shop to do the work... sholdnt be too hardto find.. good luck....

Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Brian
Originally Posted by new35
why do you need new rotors? just get them "cut" or resurfaced, as for the pads... buy them online.. I too do my own work but yes it has been cold up here. look around for a private shop to do the work... sholdnt be too hardto find.. good luck....
Getting them resurfaced isn't always an option, depending on how worn they already are.
Definitely shop around and buy your pads and rotors ONLINE, and then if you want, get them installed professionally by the dealer or another mechanic. NEVER get major work done at the dealer unless it's warranty work, or unless you don't mind overpaying by hundreds of dollars.

Here you can get SLOTTED or DRILLED rotors (which would be an upgrade) for only $350-$380 each
http://www.gruppe-s.com/350z/zbrk.htm
I didn't even shop around...I just picked a site from Google. You can def do better than $500/rotor

Last edited by AthensBlueG; 02-13-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 AM
thats insane we all know we can find the rotors on here for much less and u know what bring it by my house im in RI ill do it for $1000 and to be honest id still be ripping u off haha

Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Just do it yourself. Disc brakes are such a cakewalk, you'll be amazed.

I bought some Project MU B-Force pads for my car and am putting them on in Spring once the cars back on the road.

From the looks of it, this car is one of the easiest that I've ever seen for doing brakes. You don't even have to flip the caliper out to take the pads off.

You'd only have to remove the caliper if you were resurfacing or replacing the rotors.