G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

got beat by a mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: got beat by a mustang GT

"no where near the actual acceleration of those cars"

Vette and cobra you are correct, BUT a stock Mustang GT?? G35c has it beat. (and yes i had a 01 GT) The GT has a totally different feel escpecially with all that torque down low to give you a kick, But the G35 just pulls so much harder in the high end.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:25 AM

I say it is time that we stop playing their game(straight line acceleration) and see if they want to play our game(going thru the twisties at triple the posted speed limit). Wont even be close. Had a supercharged stang before G, and it beat my buddy's 350Z by 4-5 car lengths, but he beat me every time in the curves...my stang just couldnt hang with him. The G is no Z but it is 95% close enough for me. Any idiot can mash the gas and go straight, but it takes a driver to win races in the turns. Besides I know several mustang owners selling their rides and getting a Z or G after riding in one. Dont know anyone G owner selling it for a stang. And that speaks volumes.

KevinG35
2003 Diamond Graphite G35 Sport Coupe, 5AT, Premium Pkg, Performance Pkg.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 AM

"Besides I know several mustang owners selling their rides and getting a Z or G after riding in one."

That'd be me. I had been planning on buying a new Cobra until I saw the pre-production G coupe at the auto show 2 years ago. I saw it and said, "I can get THAT car for the same price?!"

Not much of a comparison

Old 12-09-2003, 10:51 AM

"AT's do not have the same drivetrain power loss as MT's."
you are correct on this but you obviously misread it.. his talking about manumatic vs. automatic not MT vs AT.. he meant even though manumatic has same power loss and same gearing as automatic mode but manumatic will always be faster on gcoupe.

"The other issue is weight: AT's always weigh more than MT's, sometimes by 100-200 lbs. more."
that's old days nowdays(mean the cars came out around 2001 or later) doesn't make differnces that much...
gcoupeAT(leather) - 3422
gcoupeMT - 3435
350zAT(touring style) - 3239
350zMT(touring style) - 3247
see actually both cars MT weigh more than AT... but still majority cars out there with MT will be little lighter but not like you can actually feels ligher(and if you think you can then, it's because it's MT not because it's ligher likely)

"Even in cases where the AT is faster at shifting, such as BMW's SMG tranny, the MT model is still faster accelerating. "
as for smg tranny, i heard it's because smg flywheel is much heavier than manual ones that's why it's little slower than manual... smg is 13.3 and MT is 13.2 in 1/4 if i remember correctly... it's so close it's really a driver's race on this... i'll bet smg will win 5 out of 10 times on a track and smg will win 8 out of 10 on the streets(you are making a serious mistake if you can perform as same as track on the streets in MT)...

ps weight info is from edmunds<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by uheenada on 12/09/03 07:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-09-2003, 12:12 PM

Don't worry...just have fun driving your car. There will always be someone faster. As for getting beat by the Mustang racing, their are too many varibles involved i.e. Driving skills, engine modifactions, traction etc. I have both a Mustang and a G35 Coupe. My G35 Coupe has Technosquare chip, Injen Air Intake, Race Pulley, Test Pipes, Crawford Plenum, Rogue Shifter, Z Pedals, and Borla Exhaust. Twin Turbos coming soon! It is just a blast to drive and with major style! I have raced both stock Mustangs and modified Mustangs. Some races I have won and some I have lost ( All races done on closed track). My point is again...just have fun! The G35 is just awesome to drive!

On the other hand, as for my Mustang... I will race any G35 Coupe with Twin Turbos or a Blower straight or through the curves any time. That's how modified my Mustang is and I am the slowest in my race team.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uheenada - well if I'm wrong with everything I've said, then how do you explain why the AT's are ALWAYS slower than the MT's?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

as for smg tranny, i heard it's because smg flywheel is much heavier than manual ones that's why it's little slower than manual... smg is 13.3 and MT is 13.2 in 1/4 if i remember correctly... it's so close it's really a driver's race on this...

<hr></blockquote>

I doubt its from a heavier flywheel. The SMG system just isn't as efficient as transferring power and is heavier. And EVERY instrumented test of the M3 I've seen shows a slower acceleration time of the SMG vs. the MT 6 speed. Sometimes its not much of a difference, but the point is in theory it should be faster than the MT, but its not.

i'll bet smg will win 5 out of 10 times on a track and smg will win 8 out of 10 on the streets(you are making a serious mistake if you can perform as same as track on the streets in MT)...

<hr></blockquote>

I agree that an SMG system can shift faster than a human - there's a reason why F1 cars use it. But it really only makes a noticeable difference on the track with an extreme machine such as an F1 car. Get out on a road coarse with two M3's, one with SMG, the other with an MT, and you're not going to tell a difference in lap times. The driver will make WAY more of a difference than SMG will.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 12-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Um, stock Mustang GT vs. stock G35 Coupe is a drivers race. There are countless numbers of high 13 second time slips from stock GT's.

If you ran across a stock auto, well, they are slower. If you ran across a stock M/T GT then I can see why you lost. They have great power down low but start to taper off past 80mph I believe.

But don't believe that he had to be modded to win. IF they are modded, there's a very good chance you're not going to touch them as a V8 is very easy to mod and there are tons of aftermarket parts available.

And someone said they ripped a new Cobra in their stock G35. Right... They can hit mid to high 12s stock.

Anyway, the G35Coupe is a great car, but its totally different than the Mustang GT and the fact is, the Mustang is 10x easier and cheaper to make fast vs. the G35. But hey, the G35 looks 10000000000x better

2002 NBP RSX-S
Hondata, AEM V2, DC SS adapter w/ metal bushings

Old 12-09-2003, 04:07 PM

"well if I'm wrong with everything I've said, then how do you explain why the AT's are ALWAYS slower than the MT's?"
umm... where did i stated that your wrong??
i believe i only corrected your misread about AT vs MM mode and MT will not always 100-200lbs lighter... never mentioned your wrong on anything... as for the smg... it's really a manual but it could treated as AT(don't even think about to statr smg teaching lesson again i know EXACTLY how it works)... and if you talking about regular AT vs. MT i'll agree that MT will always win but if you treated smg as AT, then manual will not always win over smg...

Old 12-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have u guys ever ridden in a mustang or a vette?

<hr></blockquote>

Uh, yeah! I own a Z06!

What does a Vette have to do with a Mustang?? They're both V-8, American, and RWD. The similarities stop there.

i love my g but no where near the actual acceleration of those cars.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the difference in acceleration between my G35 and my Z06 is pretty dramatic - my G35 feels slow by comparison.

But a Muistang GT and a G35? Not gonna feel much difference,because there isn't much difference in power. The delivery of power is different with the GT offering more low-end torque so it feels more punchy off the line, but on the upper RPM range is where the G35 makes up the difference and the GT starts running out of breath. This is stock vs. stock of course.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 12-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll throw my $.02 in here. To start, the Camaro SS and the 03 Cobra thing is a joke. Stock to stock, the Cobra takes out the SS, no questions. Unless the 03 Cobra driver just couldn't drive. Stock Cobra: 365 RWHP. Modded 03 Cobra: FORGET IT. Intake, exhaust, pulleys. 460 RWHP conservatively. 1999 and newer GT's have a lower end torque advantage over the G. 1998 and older GT's are DOGS. 1996 to 2001 cobra's are pretty quick stock. They have 305 to 320 HP depending on the year, and put about 260 to 280 to the wheels respectively. The 03 cobra runs mid 12's stock with a good driver. The GT's run mid 13's to low 13's. Gt's respond very well to mods.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals
Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5 two-way alarm

Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 PM

"The GT's run mid 13's to low 13's"

stock ??? I don't think so...My stock 01 GT was a low to mid 14sec car.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:46 PM

I'll throw my $.02 in here. To start, the Camaro SS and the 03 Cobra thing is a joke. Stock to stock, the Cobra takes out the SS, no questions. Unless the 03 Cobra driver just couldn't drive. Stock Cobra: 365 RWHP. Modded 03 Cobra: FORGET IT. Intake, exhaust, pulleys. 460 RWHP conservatively. 1999 and newer GT's have a lower end torque advantage over the G. 1998 and older GT's are DOGS. 1996 to 2001 cobra's are pretty quick stock. They have 305 to 320 HP depending on the year, and put about 260 to 280 to the wheels respectively. The 03 cobra runs mid 12's stock with a good driver. The GT's run mid 13's to low 13's. Gt's respond very well to mods.

<hr></blockquote>

I assume your $.02 was directed at me. yes, I did mention that an '03 cobra had more HP than my SS, and yes I did beat him..no joke . Obviously with equal drivers, the '03 cobra would have beat me(not that I"m great of a driver either). I put down 317 on my last dyno(just cat-back and a lid). The '03+ cobra's put out 360+ stock. I also beat one at Fontana raceway, again I cut a better light, and was a better driver. Again, no joke. Now the GT's were in fact a joke. Oh by the way, LS1's respond nicely to mod's as well. A friend of mine with an LS6 cam(not a very big cam), LS6 Heads(ported), and some TTS long tube headers put down 384 rwhp.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I apologize. You are right, the GT's do not run low 13's stock. I mis-typed and meant to say that they will run that with few mods. They will, however run high 13's to low 14's.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals
Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5 two-way alarm

Old 12-12-2003, 12:59 AM

Racing light-to-light is SOOOOOO import trashy...check out his torque figures. Even without the HP of the G, he's got you beat on torque...not by much, but when you're running like an 18 year old, it's enough.

On a pure road run, in and out of traffic or on road with some challenging turns...you got him. The GT suspension/chassis/weight distribution setup is simply abhorrent...and then, you don't look like a kid with a souped up Civic racing from one light to the other.

Know who you can beat before you hit the gas.

BASIC BLACK

Old 12-12-2003, 03:43 AM

Yea, I traded in my 02 GT and got me a 04 G35c. Love the G 100x more than the stang