G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Am I being too anal about my coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being too **** about my coupe?

I was going to fill up my tank today at a Shell gas station right near my house, when I saw a gas pumping truck, filling up the gas station reserves with fuel. So, instead of getting gas at this station, I drove 2 miles out of the way to another Shell station that was not having their tanks refueled...

The reasoning here is that I did not want to get fuel from a gas station right after they fill up the tank because when they do this, all the crap from the bottom of their reserve gets stirred up in the tank and you take a chance that this stuff can get into your engine.

Anyway, it is a done deal, but I just wanted to know if anyone else is as crazy as I am about their car.

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-07-2003, 05:19 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Am I being too **** about my coupe?

No you're not being ****, or if you are then I am too [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].
I also never get gas at a station I don't know (locally) and on the road, I'll always go to a busy station. I also try to stick to the same brand.

<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green>
<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You two said "****" *snicker*

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 12-07-2003, 05:47 PM

Hmm never thought of that before ... good point. I gotta be more **** about that in the future

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, There's more ***** around here that I thought.[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green>
<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Car and Driver TV just did a segment on this exact subject, with suprising results. Turns out that heavy-chain octanes and pre1970 leaded gas residues tend to sink to the bottom of the master tanks, and become briefly available for the first two or three savvy shoppers who are Johnny on the spot for the souped-up gas.

Supposedly will shave 0.2 seconds of a personal best 1/4 mile.

I'm almost positive I saw that *&%^% Accord topping off his tank the other day just when the tanker was leaving.

Just kidding.

DG/G 5ATc /LSD/Prem.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I never heard about that. Thanx for the info/tip.

'03 G35 C Prem Pkg, Navi, Aero, Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg

Old 12-07-2003, 08:49 PM

Finally!!! Something in "Black & White" that I can show my wife to prove I'm not the only one that's **** about this. Hmmm, I wonder how she meant to use the word ****. LOL.

2004 Coupe/DG/5AT on order...is it Jan yet?

Old 12-07-2003, 09:29 PM

I do the same thing. i do not consider it to be "****" but my friends think it is.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 PM

Oh good grief I thought I was doing enough worrying about my G already!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:14 PM

The reasoning here is that I did not want to get fuel from a gas station right after they fill up the tank because when they do this, all the crap from the bottom of their reserve gets stirred up in the tank and you take a chance that this stuff can get into your engine.

FYI: The gas is pumped from the bottom of the tank anyway. If the "stuff" does get stirred up, that's when you'd want to pump.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:24 PM

If i remember correctly, i think a member either here or freshalloy got screw for pumping gas right after the fuel tanker was there.

It is true that when a gas tanker fill up the reservoir, it tend to stir up all those crap stuck at the bottom. Guess what, if you are unlucky and fill the gas during such time, you might get your car clogged up with crap.

If i see a fuel tanker at the gas station, hell if i have to go 15 miles to fill the gas, i will go. Not worth the headache.

BTW, regarding to Shell gas. I had an Eclipse GST fully modified. Whenever i fill up the gas from Shell, my check engine light goes on. Wait till the tank empty and fill with chevron, mobil or unocal, then check engine light goes away. It reproduceable too. One time, i fill up with shell then the check engine light go on. Instead of fill up the gas with Chevron, mobil or unocal, i continue to fill with Shell again. Check engine light still on. Next tank, fill with chevron and it was fine. Never have problem with Chevron, Mobil or Unocal. Anyone have this experience before?

g35mt

Old 12-08-2003, 12:33 AM

I can't believe those pumps don't have filter elements attached before the hose!

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, brilliant silver, premium, nav

Old 12-08-2003, 01:17 AM

If i remmeber correctly, Chebesto said Shell and Arco gas have actually lower octane than say Chevron or Mobil...this is due to their system of measuring octane in their respective fuels. Thus, for example, running 91 (california) from shell maybe like runing 90 or even 89 gas from Chevron. Since I heard this I always use Chevron now (I used Chevron for my coupe since day 1 but have started to fill up my other cars with Chevron).... hope this explains things...maybe someone can find the thread with Chebesto saying this....