G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

A 2003 G35 with 42K miles. To keep or to sell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Firedawg63nLA]
Originally Posted by blueSKYLINE
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Just wondering ... what nice looking AWD cars are you refering to?
Because after quite a lot of research this is the best one I came up with, and trust me I never thought I would drive/buy a Volvo either, but considering that I want power and luxury and AWD, there is just nothing better out there (in the same price range).

My other choices were

2) Infiniti FX <-- I havent reached the Soccer Mom stage yet so I'm not ready to ride around in something so big

Soccer MOM? Check out Rookie on here His FX 507 WHP..VRT..or check out infinitifx.org. I have a G coupe and a FX-35 and having fun Modding both. The FX is a G35sedan on steriods not a Murano as some think..sorry but you might have missed the fun of driving the FX...Plenty of Mods..

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/ind...a7e72a292f8d90
I never said the FX is not hot. I do think that it is the hottest SUV there is and I wouldn't mind having one, as a second/winter car. I just don't want my only car to be an SUV unless as I said before I reach the soccer mom stage and can no longer own a sports car.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow firedawg,that fx is nice. I'd drive that. Hell you wouldn't even have to pay me to drive that fx.I'd pay for it haha. There ya go Blue.see,you can have your cake and eat it to. All 507hp of it haha.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I can't keep both so I have to pick one.
From a financial stand point I'm really starting to think that over the next 2 years I will end up losing more money from the Volvo if I decide to keep it.

It all comes down to which one is going to depreciate more faster.

In terms of % of deprecation, the Volvo will lose a larger % of what you paid.
However, I'm willing to bet that the G will lose a larger actual dollar amount.

If it were me - I'd get rid of the G.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Crashtest77
Wow firedawg,that fx is nice. I'd drive that. Hell you wouldn't even have to pay me to drive that fx.I'd pay for it haha. There ya go Blue.see,you can have your cake and eat it to. All 507hp of it haha.
Does it come with a gas station?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by tiblot
In terms of % of deprecation, the Volvo will lose a larger % of what you paid.
However, I'm willing to bet that the G will lose a larger actual dollar amount.

If it were me - I'd get rid of the G.
What I have been looking at is the following scenario. Keeping one of them now and seeing what I could possibly sell it for in 2 years.

The Volvo ... I looked around at the 2004 prices right now, and it seems like if I want to sell mine in 2 years I will lose between $4K and $7K.

The question is ... how much will I lose from the G35 in 2 years. I know this is really hard to predict but I really dont see it being more than $5K or so.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
What I have been looking at is the following scenario. Keeping one of them now and seeing what I could possibly sell it for in 2 years.

The Volvo ... I looked around at the 2004 prices right now, and it seems like if I want to sell mine in 2 years I will lose between $4K and $7K.

The question is ... how much will I lose from the G35 in 2 years. I know this is really hard to predict but I really dont see it being more than $5K or so.
you have to remember, the 03 G is the first gen, the 05 is going to / or already taking a pretty significant hit from the 08 G.

I think the 03 will be even worse. The loss of 5k sounds accurate to me, but you've already paid taxes, fees, and etc to get that 06. Thats another loss if you sell the volvo right now.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
As many of you have heard I decided to sell my car a month ago. Well I didn't go through with the sale because the weather was quite nasty so I went on and bought a new car that seemed to better accomodate my needs. Mostly my need for AWD, since I live in Chicago.

The reasons why I wanted to sell my G now were:
1) Warranty expires in July
2) New generation is coming up soon, which means the price of this one will go down
3) The weather conditions where I live only allow me to drive the car for 8 months a year
4) the car is already 4 years old, I haven't had problems with it so far but as it gets older I'm sure they will start popping up

So this past weekend I finally took my G out of the garage and drove it for a while and started having second thoughts. I really don't want to sell it, I love the car, I have my complaints about various little things but at the end of the day this is the car I always wanted.

So I have a few questions for you all, to possibly help me resolve my dilema.
1) What kind of maintenance expenses am I most likely looking at after 42K, I'm considering getting a 2 or 3 year extended warranty, 2yr will be $1800 and the 3yr is $2300. I would definitely feel better driving a car that is under warranty I just wasn't sure if it is really worth it. So what do you think?

2) As for the new generation coming up, I heard many sedan owners complaining about their cars' value dropping down drastically after the new sedan came out. Do you all think the same will happen with the coupe?

3) Driving the car in the winter ... may not be so bad after all. I know quite a few guys around my area that drive their Gs/Zs in the winter with winter tires on, but then again it still is a rear-wheel drive car. I just don't quite know how well the car does in the winter with a set of nice winter tires on.

4) What are the most common problems/issues people have come across as their Gs get older. What kind of maintenance problems? When did most of you change their clutch? My friend has a 2003 and he changed the clutch at 50K, is that normal?

So what do you all think?

As for my new car, I have to say it is pretty darn amazing, problem is .. it aint no G35 coupe.

Here is my new ride. It is a 2006 Volvo S60R GT in Sonic Blue, fully loaded except navi, with a stock body kit.

For those that dont know anything about the S60 R. It is a 300hp, 295torque, AWD, Turbocharged. Pretty much the perfect car for Chicago.
Here are some pictures of my two blue babies from the past weekend:

-

-

-

-
i LOVE the S60R's. sexy lookin lil thangs. i'd keep both

Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by tiblot
you have to remember, the 03 G is the first gen, the 05 is going to / or already taking a pretty significant hit from the 08 G.

I think the 03 will be even worse. The loss of 5k sounds accurate to me, but you've already paid taxes, fees, and etc to get that 06. Thats another loss if you sell the volvo right now.

I got an amazing deal on the volvo, And the price for which i can sell it now here in Chicago is going to compensate for all my taxes and the delivery charge and who knows I may even make a small profit ...

Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I got an amazing deal on the volvo, And the price for which i can sell it now here in Chicago is going to compensate for all my taxes and the delivery charge and who knows I may even make a small profit ...
How are you getting all that deals????? You have some tricks you wanna share?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:56 PM
lol - well it sounds like since you got good deals on both cars, it really comes down to which car you like better ...

Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned
Sell the Volvo and take the profit... NOW!!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I was so close to getting a Silver S60R before I got the G. Great chooise on cars.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 PM
How much did you get the Volvo for, if you don't mind me asking.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
I also have an '03 CB 6mt, but bought the extended warranty when I got it new in early '03. 4years, 47k miles now, and no problems. Pirelli Snowsports on separate rims since '03 (< $1K from Tire Rack) keep me going through New York winters (not as bad as Chicago, but still challenging).

Don't know for sure, but ours may hold value a little better being 1st year, uncommon color (no offense to the gray car owners, but how much do our CB G's stand out in the parking lot?), and of course, those gold brembos. My car still gets stares from people after 4 years. Have to admit, I still love looking at it, and driving it, every day. Plan on giving it to my 13 year-old daughter in 3 years, so I'm committed to keeping it.

Honestly, the only other car I'd rather be in on a daily basis right now is the new Maserati Coupe (still a little out of my price range). The new G Coupe (to be unveiled at the NY auto show next month) may be new and more polished, and the volvo is all wheel drive (big deal- for the 10 days a year you really need it you give up RWD handling for the other 355), but my vote is for your G.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Hehe I knew someone would bring that up
Yes that is true, but it is a smaller % that they own, and at least the S60 is all Volvo, the S40 I know shares some stuff with a Mazda 3.
Actually, Ford owns only 33% Mazda and 100% Volvo Automotive, it does not own Volvo heavy equipment though. So in fact your car is 100% Ford.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A 2003 G35 with 42K miles. To keep or to sell?