G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2004 G35 Service and general questions here???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 G35 Service and general questions here???

Hello all,

Newbee here. Well I have been a member for a year or so since I bought my wife a G35 coupe. Anyhow I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. BTW, I did a search already and found related information but nothing specific to what I need. Also, we bought the car used with 17k on it about 1.5 years ago. It now has ~30k or so.

1) Regarding 30k service. I received the recommended car maintenance schedule from the dealer and I was going through it. There only seems like about half of them apply to the coupe.

- change oil and filter (i already do this every 4k)
- inspect and top off fluids (i checked all but power steering and auto trans fluid. still needs to be done.)
- multi-point inspection (not sure what's done here but was thinking this is a general look over.?)
- service brake pads (already done by dealers about 6 mos ago for front and rear)
- lube hinges (i can do this myself)
- Clean throttle plate and re set idle (Is this for real? If so, how critical and can I do this?)
- Replace in cabin filter (Is there a better place to buy than the dealer? Also is this tough to replace?)
- Air filter (needs to be done. I am guessing I will go to the local Autozone or so for this.)
- Inspect drive axles and boots (I can do this myself)
- Inspect fuel and vapor lines (Ok, do I see leaks or smell fuel. What else here?)
- Inspect exhaust (I checked this I dont hear any leaks or see anything loose.)
- Inspect front and rear suspension (Car drives tight with no rattles.)
- Inspect and adjust drive belts (Is this for real? Most cars have tensioners that adjust automatically?)

2) I notice when we start the car it seems to run very rich. At least that's my perception from the smell in the garage after startup. Is this normal?

3) With shifting from Park to Reverse (auto tranny here), I noticed that the RPMs rise between shifts. Is this normal?

4) Fuel guage issues. Guage seems to be inaccurate after fill up. UPDATE: Car at dealer for this. They just left me a vmail saying that they replaced a part in the tank. Not sure if this is a float or something but will find out when I pick it up.

Thanks guys!

-Chris

Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
First let me say welcome. Secondly, I know how to answer a few of your questions.

Cleaning the throttle plate is very easy. All you need is some throttle body cleaner (find at local auto parts or do what I did and buy BG), a screw driver, some shop rags, and a tooth brush. First, disconnect the cable from negative terminal on your battery. Next, find the throttle body and using a screwdriver loosen the metal hose clamp at the port. The rubber hose should be easy to pull off. You need to move the hose enough to gain access and thoroghly clean the throttle plate, which may require bending and or complete removal of the hose. Next, put some shop rags under and around the opening because the cleaner will run quite a bit. If your hands are small enough, you can push at the top of the throttle plate (it can be hot if your motor still is) to open it up and spray cleaner in there. Be careful not to let it slam shut as I've heard it can throw the idle off. A 5 second shot of the spray repeated once or twice should do the trick. After you've sprayed it, use a toothbrush to loosen the remaining carbon build up. Then use a shop rag to dry and remove excess cleaner. That's it. Reconnect the hose and battery and start the car to let it run through the system for a minute or so. Going for a drive is actually called for on some of the instructions I've read.

Another question you had was about the micro filter. I'm fairly certain you can get them cheaper. I know Gordee sells them and I think an autoparts store may even carry it. And I believe many have replaced them on their own. If you can do the procedure above, I'm sure the filter is along that same level of difficulty.

Anyway, good luck finding what you need! I've learned a lot about these cars in under a year on the forum. It is a great resource.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Here's you a write up for the filter replacement. Looks real easy. I definitely wouldn't pay a dealer to do this.

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=29

Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Also here's a place you can buy it for about half what the dealer charges. I also heard they sell them on ebay.

http://www.drivewire.com/infinitipar...airfilter.html

Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks GeeDawg01 for the info!!!

Can anyone answer questions 2 and 3?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM
how much do the dealers usually charge for the 30k service

Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned
4-500+

Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
I got quoted $700 for the 30k service.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 AM
They quoted me $500 when I was at the stealership.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by zguy23
Thanks GeeDawg01 for the info!!!

Can anyone answer questions 2 and 3?
It's normal for the G to run rich at startup. It helps the G to warm up quicker.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Chrlesmd
It's normal for the G to run rich at startup. It helps the G to warm up quicker.
Thanks.

What about when you shift from park to reverse do you notice the RPMs rise and drop during this change?