G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6mt And Automatic Owners Look Here!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvangil
+1. Driven manual cars since I've been able to drive, and even in this Chicago traffic, I wouldn't trade for an auto. Had a 5AT loaner when mine was in for minor warranty work, and couldn't wait to get the 6MT back.... Nothing against the 5AT's, just my .02 and personal preference....Good luck whatever you decide....

for the people complaining about driving a manual car in traffic, have they ever drove a manual car before? or, are they just talking out of their azz because they can't drive a stick?

i live in OC where traffic a shlt no matter what streets or hwy you take. from 6am all they way to 8pm, there is traffic.

i have a 6mt, and have no issues "shifting" in traffic. if you really think about it. its just automatic. its really not as bad as you think it is. i mean, i have had an auto, and was stuck in traffic, i would be bored to death and cussing my azz off.

and for those who "manual shift their autos",, hahahaha. its not the same man. i drove a loaner and when i tried out the "manual shift more", what a FN Joke. hahah. not even close to driving manual. its more like a paddle shifter.

anyways, if you are really stuck in traffic, you dont even need to shift most of the time, all you are doing is stepping on the gas and releasing the clutch. just basically doing a balance thing on 1st.

which is no different then stepping on the gas and then stepping on the brake with an auto. so what if you need to sometimes move the shifter to 2nd... are you that FN lazy?

Last edited by verbal assassin; 05-19-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I happen to own a DG 03 with 50,000 miles on it as well, Mine is a 6 speed and has all the toys, supercharger with intercooler, stillen headers, test pipes, greddy evo 2 cat back, sway bars, grounding kit, zietronics afr boost gauge, short shifter, plenum, injectors, stillen front end with splitter, ssr wheels, navi, 3 t.v.'s and dvd, with full aftermarket stereo, and more and I was thinking of selling mine for around 26,000....so you might want to check the price on that one your buying....and sorry for getting off subject....6 speed all the way bro...

Old 05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
yah
actually to think about it..
with a MT car, u won't be needing to step on the brake or gas so often compare to an AT
basically clutch control is all u need, and also a good thing about our G is that once the 1st gear engaged, it will keep going without u giving it more gas..

Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would wait it out til you find one with a 6MT, you will wish you did. I had to search for like 3 months to get the one i got and i love my manual. Mine was an '03 with 37K miles on it for $22 Grand. So your price might be a little bit high.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
i think that price is a bit too steep for an 03. but i have a 5AT and i regret not having got a 6MT. i drive my car in the manumatic mode all the time as if it would be a stick, lol go for the 6speed man but be patient im sure MORE than a few Gs will pop up for sale eventually

Old 05-21-2007, 12:20 AM
***LONG RANT ALERT***

I really wanted to get the 6MT, but I scored a great deal on a 5AT, so I went with it.

The only 6MT I found in my area that was also in my price range had a red exterior and a beige interior. No spoiler. Looked great, but just not my style. Yes, I did drive it. But to be honest, maybe since I didn't like how the car looked or whatever it was, the ride didn't feel comfortable at all. The clutch has a very fine engagement point, too, so the whole time I was test driving it, nothing but jerky starts.

Then I found a Caribbean Blue 5AT with black leather interior and rear spoiler. Drove that for almost 45 minutes to really make sure I knew what I was getting into. IMHO, both felt equally quick acceleration-wise, and the 5AT seemed to have a smoother ride.

I didn't get the G to beat other cars, I got it because it's classy and sophisticated and I was dying to shed my racer-boy image. My last car was a Toyota Celica GT-S with the factory bodykit, beautiful on the road but man, what an eye-catcher to both the ladies AND the police. I got pulled over almost 15 times and got nailed with 3 tickets with that car. My insurance is just having a field day on me, too. Lesson learned, albeit too late.

At least now in my G, I still get the looks without too much from the cops.

Long story short, it all depends on you. I live in the LA area too, I'm not lazy and I would DEFINITELY not mind shifting in traffic. And another thing, from personal opinions, it seems like most 6MTs are kinda abused by their owners (and I don't blame them, I'd have done the same), and since I was buying used, I was a bit wary about the problems I'd be facing. I'd only get an MT if I'm the 1st owner. Can't trust anybody nowadays.

Last edited by LightningRod; 05-21-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by verbal assassin
for the people complaining about driving a manual car in traffic, have they ever drove a manual car before? or, are they just talking out of their azz because they can't drive a stick?

If all you do in the OC is shift from 1st to 2nd, then you're lucky bro. Cuz New York is not like that. The west side highway and the LEI is a bitch. Being overseas, every where else and living in New England/Tristate, I can say European drivers drive a lot better than us and New Yorkers are the only ones closest to them. When the light turns grean in the City, you're probably shifting all the way to 4th and then come back to a stop. People don't wait around man. Once the light goes green, everyone is off. Switching lanes? It's like parelle parking at 80mph. Going from 1st to 2nd? Maybe when you're making your way into the Lincoln or Holland tunnel in that long *** line, but everywhere else, be prepared to hit 4th if you wanna beat the light and keep up with everyone else.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by verbal assassin

i live in OC where traffic a shlt no matter what streets or hwy you take. from 6am all they way to 8pm, there is traffic.

i have a 6mt, and have no issues "shifting" in traffic. if you really think about it. its just automatic. its really not as bad as you think it is. i mean, i have had an auto, and was stuck in traffic, i would be bored to death and cussing my azz off.

and for those who "manual shift their autos",, hahahaha. its not the same man. i drove a loaner and when i tried out the "manual shift more", what a FN Joke. hahah. not even close to driving manual. its more like a paddle shifter.

anyways, if you are really stuck in traffic, you dont even need to shift most of the time, all you are doing is stepping on the gas and releasing the clutch. just basically doing a balance thing on 1st.

which is no different then stepping on the gas and then stepping on the brake with an auto. so what if you need to sometimes move the shifter to 2nd... are you that FN lazy?

Little harsh bro, i love my 5AT, but i do admit i wish i had a 6mt sometimes because it seems like all i do is drive in triptronic. But for your comment about never driving manual. Well i drove one for 2 years on my 96 max and my 05 max. And here in Northern VA DC metro area, I would never do a 6MT again i drive during peak rush hour times and like someone said before u dont just go to second, your always in third and forth out here. Thats too much shifting for me and after an hour of shifting my left knee felt like **** all the time.
But i promise you one thing its the driver that makes a car. So no matter what transmission you choose as long as you know what your doing you can rock the puck on!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by LightningRod
***LONG RANT ALERT***

I really wanted to get the 6MT, but I scored a great deal on a 5AT, so I went with it.

The only 6MT I found in my area that was also in my price range had a red exterior and a beige interior. No spoiler. Looked great, but just not my style. Yes, I did drive it. But to be honest, maybe since I didn't like how the car looked or whatever it was, the ride didn't feel comfortable at all. The clutch has a very fine engagement point, too, so the whole time I was test driving it, nothing but jerky starts.

Then I found a Caribbean Blue 5AT with black leather interior and rear spoiler. Drove that for almost 45 minutes to really make sure I knew what I was getting into. IMHO, both felt equally quick acceleration-wise, and the 5AT seemed to have a smoother ride.

I didn't get the G to beat other cars, I got it because it's classy and sophisticated and I was dying to shed my racer-boy image. My last car was a Toyota Celica GT-S with the factory bodykit, beautiful on the road but man, what an eye-catcher to both the ladies AND the police. I got pulled over almost 15 times and got nailed with 3 tickets with that car. My insurance is just having a field day on me, too. Lesson learned, albeit too late.

At least now in my G, I still get the looks without too much from the cops.

Long story short, it all depends on you. I live in the LA area too, I'm not lazy and I would DEFINITELY not mind shifting in traffic. And another thing, from personal opinions, it seems like most 6MTs are kinda abused by their owners (and I don't blame them, I'd have done the same), and since I was buying used, I was a bit wary about the problems I'd be facing. I'd only get an MT if I'm the 1st owner. Can't trust anybody nowadays.
I agree completely - especially the comment about 6MTs being abused. Also take into consideration the audience that participates on this forum - the "age thread" will speak for itself. There is a large number of boy racers that think they will be staring in the next Too Fast Too Furious

Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Like I have always said, get what you need.

Are you looking to have some fun? Track your car? Love the idea of an extra pedal and a shifter? 6MT is your deal.

Are you looking for practicality? Are you too busy to keep both hands and feet in use? Maybe you're in a job which requires you to use an AT by force or just by plain common sense? Obviously, AT is right for you.

When choosing, performance should not be a concern. The difference is minimal considering the fact that most 6MT users cannot outperform an AT due to lack of experience. Only a few actually know how to drive a 6MT to its full potential. Either way, its a hell of a fun drive.

I choose a 6MT for the reasons stated above. I was looking for fun and love tracking my car.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With as far as automatics have come, and especially now that they offer the driver more control over gear selection, the gap between AT and MT isn't so great. This is no longer the old MT vs. AT argument. I think most MT drivers would really appreciate a clutchless manual and most AT drivers would also consider it the perfect solution.

The 6MT in the '03-'07 G coupe is far from refined. The number of life-long MT drivers who have issues with this 6MT should speak volumes about the system. While I love having so much control of gear selection and being able to downshift to aide in breaking, etc.,... ...the AT does offer the same ability, just a little different execution. I think some complain about the AT not upshifting fast enough, but it seems like that could be taken into account and incorporated into your technique... ...just like the 6MT takes a lot of getting used to.

Get what you think you want... ...but know that you may change your mind after the fact.

Being a life-long MT guy, I'm inclined to test the G37's "lightweight, refined" MT... ...even though the G35's 6MT is what has me leaning toward the AT in the first place. My '05 6MT had the benefit of more power from the RevUp engine. There's no so additional benefit with the G37 at this point.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-21-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I love the 5AT. I love not having the problems associated with this 6MT even more.

The difference in performance in minimal, and I hate clutch-creeping in traffic. Manual-mode is a lot of fun for when you're in that kind of mood, but when it's time to cruise then you have the option of not shifting.

When you have your honey in the car, do you want your hand on her leg or on the stickshift? LOL.. That's the clincher for me..

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Like I have always said, get what you need.

Are you looking to have some fun? Track your car? Love the idea of an extra pedal and a shifter? 6MT is your deal.

Are you looking for practicality? Are you too busy to keep both hands and feet in use? Maybe you're in a job which requires you to use an AT by force or just by plain common sense? Obviously, AT is right for you.

When choosing, performance should not be a concern. The difference is minimal considering the fact that most 6MT users cannot outperform an AT due to lack of experience. Only a few actually know how to drive a 6MT to its full potential. Either way, its a hell of a fun drive.

I choose a 6MT for the reasons stated above. I was looking for fun and love tracking my car.

Great post.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM
stick shift all the way and thats to much for that car.. ill sell you 04 6mt fully loaded with brembos i have put like 6k worth of stuff on it it inly has 33 thousnd miles on it and i will sell it to you for 24k

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Crucial dude
I have a 2003 5AT. Personally, I never track it, rarely drive on the freeway and even more rarely get an opportunity to even put it over 60mph during my commute during rush hour. Hell, according to my GPS I average a speed of 15mph on my way to and from work in the morning. I'm stoked when I can average 20mph (which equates to 40 minutes of sitting at lights and 10 mins of a little backroad fun.)

Driving MT cars in traffic I've always found to be a PITA...but hey that's just my opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6mt And Automatic Owners Look Here!!!!