G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

pontiac sunfire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pontiac sunfire

My first post. I was driving south on 95 in South Florida over the weekend. I'm in the middle lane when I see lights flying up on me. He goes to pass me and notices my car when he slows down to take a look. Its a kid maybe 18-20 in a riced out pontiac sunfire. He proceeds to challenge me. He's driving a sunfire with two of the biggest ugliest mufflers I've ever seen sticking about 2 feet out the rear LOL and a giant primer colored wing on it. He's also got the sticker mods which are very intimidating. I can see and hear he's all show and no go. He continues to egg me on for a few miles and I finally get fed up when he rolls his window down to yell at me if I'm chicken. Thats it I tell him lets go and give him a 2-3 second start because now I'm pi#### off.

Long story short. He thinks he got me after I let him go first. I catch him in about 3 seconds and within 5-10 he's a dot in my rearview LOL. I slow down but can see he's still coming, when he gets close I down shift again and school him even worse. He gets off the next exit without even looking over once.

Had to share. Happy new year guys. Beavis...

Black 6MT
Pop Charger
Z-Tube

Old 01-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Re: pontiac sunfire

Haw!

Owning a Sunfire is it's own punishment.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM

And I held back on wrinting about a WRTX race cuz I thought it was boring....geez - a sunfire!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The funny thing about a Sunfire. Back in 2002 when I went for a test drive in a Lexus IS300, some guy in what looked to be a stock Sunfire tried to challenge me. In the IS300, I had a hard time keeping ahead of him![img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's one of the things that confirmed my purchase of a G instead!

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM

haha..sunfires.. I remember getting one of those as a rental car... lets just say it doesn't do too well in the off-road department....

04' G35 / 6MT / Tein Basic Coilovers
Volk 19" GT-7 Gunmetal

Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't have posted it, it is a little stupid. I just can't believe some people in these ricers. If you would have seen this car you would have died of laughter. The mufflers in the back looked like German howitzers from the second world war and the wing looked like it belonged on a funny car.
LOL

Old 01-05-2004, 02:42 PM

i dont understand why some ppl rice up american cars... why cant they just get a civic or a prelude and join a club and race eachother or sumptin

p.s. dont underestimate them... my frnd has a riced up civic hatch with a dropped jdm civic type-r engine... MASSIVE mods... i ono wat is in it... has almost spoon everything and does 0-60 about 4 sumptin... looks riced up and has REAL decals haha yeah... wouldnt mess with him but lots of ppl do and get burned and feel dumb... just put that in... i ono why im weird

Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM

You're right I never underestimate 99% of the time. You can sometimes hear and see to know. This guy in the sunfire would floor it and you could hear his AT downshift and his exhaust would get real loud, but the car would barely move. LOL The stock rims and tire set up with hubcaps kind of gave it away too. LOL

Have a good one...

Old 01-05-2004, 03:59 PM

My first car was an 80 sunbird...i hate those funkin pontiacs. My admins Bonneveille just blew up too - so i am biased.

I do understand the need to blow off some punkage in much lesser cars - I do it occasionally. I had a 97 or so maxima try to play once and I just embarrassed the shiitt out of him...and I cant even start with the souped up Status that tried to play. Poor guy felt pretty good about himself - very clean neat car with nice bling rims - they keep rolling when the car stops and look like 200# each - obviously he cared about the appearance and performance and thought he was pretty hot - he just didn't know better.

I tried to race a 944 in my 82 civic once and can relate. I used to feel pretty good in my Crx si and tried to race a z28...I thought my mobil oil change would make it faster or maybe i was high on life that day...the sinking feeling of "wow my $3800 used car is awsome" turning into..."jesus this thing sux" in 10 seconds was demoralizing. Like 30 car lenghts by the time I got to 80...someone had to get payback all these years later...f'ing startus's

Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Yep-

I wasn't even trying to start with him. I too was an owner of a car that I thought was much faster than it was. Old nissan sentra with minor mods, boy did I get taught a lesson by a Vette. He could have been dragging an anchor behind his bumper and still won by 20 lengths. LOL I think now what the HE## was I thinking, but I guess everyone needs to learn the hard way, the guy in the sunfire included.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:49 PM

It's amazing that as a teen or early 20 something you actually can believe the shiitte that goes through your own head.

I actually coined this as I matured into my 30's...it relates to learning...................."The problem with people is they believe the first thing that comes to mind and hang on for dear life"

Old 01-06-2004, 01:28 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen the sunfire you described. Then again, I see a lot of new riced-out cars down here every week. 'Sounds like a pretty sad job that guy did modifying that Sunfire. If it were a Sunfire "GT" with a 5-speed, it probably would not have sounded as bad (not that those are that quick either, but peppy for an entry-level car). I have seen some nicely-done J-bodies though and give some of them props, but if they have exhaust tips sticking out the back bumper by a foot like you described, along w/ a bunch of dumb decals, I just have to laugh and hang my head in shame. Heck, if I had the money for a 2nd car (for a daily "beater"), I might consider an '02 Z24 Cavy (the last good-looking one before they screwed up the design) and slap the GM supercharger on it (I hate Honduhs, so screw that; heh heh).

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 01-06-2004, 05:11 AM

hehe...ya better watch that stuff. Next time you race a Sunfire, it might turn out to be a GTO and you'll have to look for some curves QUICK...lol

BASIC BLACK

Old 01-06-2004, 08:29 AM

I hope he can tell the difference between a GTO and a sunfire. Anyone ever own a J2000 - what a great auto GM produced in 1980..

Old 01-06-2004, 02:52 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i dont understand why some ppl rice up american cars... why cant they just get a civic or a prelude and join a club and race eachother or sumptin

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I'm not sure if 'rice' is the appropriate term for modifying American cars. Perhaps Uncle Ben's Rice is more fitting.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT Brilliant Silver on Graphite
Premium/Aero/Sport/Tints/Factory Chrome Rims

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pontiac sunfire