G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sticking Clutch Pedal....Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticking Clutch Pedal....Please Help!

Hey all,

I have a 2005 6MT G Coupe and I have been having some trouble with the clutch pedal. The car has about 18,000 miles on it, and recently the clutch pedeal has been sticking. It only sticks at the top of the travel, about the last 20% of the travel.

My problem is that it does not happen all the time. I brought it to the dealer, but of course it didn't happen when it was there.

It only happens when the car has been driven hard for a while, has been in heavy traffic, or when it is really hot outside. Also, there seems to be a bit of a burning smell as well.

To see if the clutch was slipping, at idle, I put the gear shifter in 4th and dropped the clutch to a stall. It painfully stalled fine, so I don't think my clutch is sticking. My friends told me my pressure plate may be going, is this true?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
'05 6MT Clutch.....

Better than a search try warranty......you still have one? Chances are it's
the clutch cylinder.......kinda like the master cylinder in you brake system.
The rubber plunger fails and you lose pressure in the line and your pedal
doesn't come back sometimes falling all the way to the floor. You must pull
it back and everything is normal until the next time....kind of a PIA! Ok now
check your warranty!!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Better than a search try warranty......you still have one? Chances are it's
the clutch cylinder.......kinda like the master cylinder in you brake system.
The rubber plunger fails and you lose pressure in the line and your pedal
doesn't come back sometimes falling all the way to the floor. You must pull
it back and everything is normal until the next time....kind of a PIA! Ok now
check your warranty!!
Bump!! Would this be covered by powertrain? I'm having the same problem - I'm at 50k miles and out of my b-2-b, but I'm concerned the dealer will say it's either not powertrain or a wear issue and try to tap me for a new clutch.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
wasn't covered by my warranty, the *******s at glendale infiniti told me it wasn't

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
i've had the same exact problem, it feels like there is to much play in the top of the pedal when its hot or drivin more then say 10 miles, sometimes builds pressure back up and goes away. The dealer told me it was the pressure plate.. It was replaced under warranty some how(idk how but i didnt complain)... but the problem was still there. I did some research and found it was one of 3 things.... Clutch Master, Slave or OEM clutch line with fluid not performing under heat...

I took it into my own judgment to buy new master, slave and fluid plus the Stainless Steel clutch line from Coz which was approximately $230
and had them installed plus better clutch fluid... PROBLEM SOLVED

Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by same olg
i've had the same exact problem, it feels like there is to much play in the top of the pedal when its hot or drivin more then say 10 miles, sometimes builds pressure back up and goes away. The dealer told me it was the pressure plate.. It was replaced under warranty some how(idk how but i didnt complain)... but the problem was still there. I did some research and found it was one of 3 things.... Clutch Master, Slave or OEM clutch line with fluid not performing under heat...

I took it into my own judgment to buy new master, slave and fluid plus the Stainless Steel clutch line from Coz which was approximately $230
and had them installed plus better clutch fluid... PROBLEM SOLVED
I was thinking of having my tranny fluid replaced anyhow (it's still the original factory fill, AFAIK) - would this alleviate the problem, at least for a while?

Was $230 the total for all the parts? How much did the labor run?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:37 PM
You can find a
master cylinder ~$90
slave cylinder ~$45
steel clutch line ~$30

I've changed my slave cylinder and fluid and it still sticks. Next I'm installing a steel line and then a master if that does not fix it.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by oyoquem
You can find a
master cylinder ~$90
slave cylinder ~$45
steel clutch line ~$30

I've changed my slave cylinder and fluid and it still sticks. Next I'm installing a steel line and then a master if that does not fix it.

Do you have the same sticking prob we are talking about? I have heard of clutch really sticking like still engaged type where u get burning and smelling.. Just to make sure that was not the problem i solved..

And to think it was $200.00 or so shipped or everything PM COZ or everthing

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Do you have the same sticking prob we are talking about? I have heard of clutch really sticking like still engaged type where u get burning and smelling.. Just to make sure that was not the problem i solved..

And to think it was $200.00 or so shipped or everything PM COZ or everthing
My pedal sticks on the release. The clutch engages but the pedal does not fully return and leaves a lot of mushy play. My clutch doesnt burn when it happens. It also affects the engagement point.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 PM
My pedal sticks on the release. The clutch engages but the pedal does not fully return and leaves a lot of mushy play. My clutch doesnt burn when it happens. It also affects the engagement point.
Sounds like the same issue, i would sometimes have to lift the pedal with my foot not off the floor just off the top of engagement.. Thats the reason i changed everything at once cause i wasnt sure exactly the problem and it was cheap enough.. We spend 5x that amount on other mods all the time..lolol

Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Sounds like the same issue, i would sometimes have to lift the pedal with my foot not off the floor just off the top of engagement.. Thats the reason i changed everything at once cause i wasnt sure exactly the problem and it was cheap enough.. We spend 5x that amount on other mods all the time..lolol
Same here. I sometimes have to lift the pedal with my foot because it stops about 2 inches from the top. I dont mind changing them all at once but I am doing them 1 at a time so I can pinpoint what the cause is. Luckily it is fairly cheap and not to hard to change myself.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I just got my master cylinder replaced last week under the powertrain warranty. Its a really common problem.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by kiantech
I just got my master cylinder replaced last week under the powertrain warranty. Its a really common problem.
Really? Cerritos Infiniti told me it was not covered under powertrain warranty.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Really? Cerritos Infiniti told me it was not covered under powertrain warranty.
You're kidding right...that is the same exact dealer I went to last week. Haha wow. Tell them to check the master cylinder. If they say it needs replacement but they wont cover it, I have my receipt showing they covered it with the warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sticking Clutch Pedal....Please Help!