G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer for Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Dealerships respecting customers.........?

[QUOTE=g35rcr]They hand wash mine each time because it wont clear their wash...a little respect and courtesy goes a long way[/

Do you have any idea how many members on Driver have asked the dealership
not to wash their cars? Or how many have had their cars destroyed because
the dealership hand washed their car......dings...scratches....swirls and worst
of all custom rims discolored with whatever the washmonkey thinks is good
to use? They hand wash your car but with the same mitt they have used
for the last 20 vehicles containing the same grit from all 20! Respect......
think again!

Last edited by gary c; 07-25-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
However, be sure to keep records of all the work. Especially, the oil changes. These records may come in handy in the event that there is a question with regard to warranty related work, down the road.
If it will give you peace of mind, than by all means... But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The warranty does not say you need to keep records/receipts of all your oil changes to keep your warranty... It says that Nissan may inspect them, and may use them against you... However, that would be illegal... Here's why:

If you read the ACTUAL warranty jargon, it doesn't say anything about having to produce receipts and records.... It just says to follow the owners manual. The owners manual says to follow the Infiniti Service and Maintenance Guide.

1.) The Maintenance Guide, is called a Guide. That has specific legal meaning.

2.) Page seven of the maintenance guide said that you should follow one of the maintenance schedules. The word "should" has a specific legal meaning.

3.) Page eleven of the maintenace guide says, "The services listed represent the minimal factory recommended requirements for each time/mileage interval..." The word "recommended" has a specific legal meaning.

Now, I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be properly maintaining your car... I'm just saying that all this nonsense with saving receipts and records, is a scare tactic to get you to use the dealer for your service needs. They will not have a legal leg to stand on, if they try to deny you a warranty claim...

(I work in the International Standards industry, and I work with legions of attorneys that hassle me all the time about legal definitions of phrases I use in the specifications that I write. Especially when it involves conveying mandatory requirements.)

The warranty allows you to perform these maintence items yourself. The warranty does not make any requirements on what needs to be conveyed in any written documenation about your maintence that was performed. Simply noting that you actually did something, is more than sufficient, becuase they cannot claim it is insufficient, because the requirements were never spilled out. For example, the warranty does not say that your maintence records needs to be notarized in front of a witness, etc, etc. Keeping receipts of your oil purchases etc is pointless, because it just proves you bought oil, it doesn't prove you actually used it, etc.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chriscollins
Another tip,
Last time i was there (santa monica) I asked about every single item on the 'list of things to do' on the 15K service, and just kinda gave them crap for each (even if it sounded fine) and he took off 10% by the end. Kind of a...'ok, um, well, just do all of it and i'll give you 10% off' (which ended up almost being cheaper than taking off the things i wanted to take off cuz they were'nt really necessary, might as well have them done free!)

-chris
One time I went to the dealer... They said that I needed to have my tires replaced because they are getting worn.... After telling them that I had 4 new tires installed a week prior, they admitted they didn't actually LOOK at the tires... They were going by the mileage that the tires would've worn out by....

One time I went to a different dealer with my other car... They said that I needed to have the radiator flushed. They said that if I didn't flush the radiator, I might lose the warranty... I told them to look up in their records if they can find a record of my radiator being replaced 6 weeks prior... They did, and found it... I asked if replacing the radiator requires the coolant to be replaced. They said yes... I asked why my radiator needs to be flushed.... They had no answer for me.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=gary c]
Originally Posted by g35rcr
They hand wash mine each time because it wont clear their wash...a little respect and courtesy goes a long way[/

Do you have any idea how many members on Driver have asked the dealership
not to wash their cars? Or how many have had their cars destroyed because
the dealership hand washed their car......dings...scratches....swirls and worst
of all custom rims discolored with whatever the washmonkey thinks is good
to use? They hand wash your car but with the same mitt they have used
for the last 20 vehicles containing the same grit from all 20! Respect......
think again!
That's true too. Dealer left a lot of swirl marks after I waxed the car, so I complained and they promised to buff it out, which they did buy only the hood. I'm gonna ask them again to do the rest.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not really trying to save a little money, just trying to get honest, quality workmanship. I've had both very good and very bad experiences with dealers servicing my cars in the past, both in terms of what they charged and the work they did (or didn't really need to do as is sometimes the case). There is an import service shop near where I live and work that has done good work for me on the last car I owned (an Acura Integra), but I've never dealt with an Infiniti dealer before for service. I will probably give them a try and see how it goes.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The dealer is fine for the oil changes. Recently I had them replace my front brakes ( and turned the rotors) with my pads. They charged me $65. After 4 years of ownership I have never had them take me for any of those maintanance services. Those are pure profit.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i only do the main maintenances there because when i sell my car in the future, someone who isnt into cars as much as us will be happy to see that it had scheduled maintenances at the dealer rather than with someone they dont know about.