G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Own: STI but Looking: G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2004 | 11:37 AM
Re: Own: STI but Looking: G35 Coupe

The STI is a great little car, and I seriously looked at buying one before purchasing the G35 Coupe.

One problem was that they wanted $35k for the car, and dinged you extra for a stereo ($2,500), scotch guarding the seats ($500) and a bunch of other stuff you did not need and did not want to drive up the cost and the profit. The allocations were small enough at the time that unless you bent over and took it, you couldn't get the car. I had the checkbook and was prepared to just pay cash for the whole kit and kaboodle, but they would no budge, so I walked out with a smile, 16 year old son with me. A good lesson in buying or not buying cars.

But notwithstanding the despicable behavior of the dealer, it really did not cost him a sale, because some other sucker will knuckle under and he will make his profit, the STI is a great little car. Stock there is very little that can beat it performance wise, at any price, and with some reasonable mods it becomes a track and rally monster. It has a performance to cost equation that is amazing. Comfort, fit, finish etc are all secondary considertions, and it shows glaringly. It is not supposed to be anything other than a starting place platform. (You cannot seriously consider it an alternative to a 328i can you? And certainly not a G35 sedan either).

On the track, the modified Subies are great, and at an all in price well below the cost of a stock Vette Z06, and in the hands of a good driver I seriously doubt that there is much out there that dollar for dollar, can touch it. The beauty is in what it does, not what it looks like or feels like.

I needed something a little more presentable, so I am glad I did not have a reasonable minded dealer in my neighborhood! But if I wanted to have an extra car to just campaign, not as a daily driver, and all I wanted was performance(a reasonable expectation for a purpose bought car), the STI would be high on the list. A few mods, some decent track tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, a little trailer, and off you go on the weekend trips to the big tracks to run the little devil, waxing the fannies of all those big brute 8 cylinder cars. Just to rub it in for the Detroit iron, put a bunch of Top Ramen soup decals on the side and a license plate frame that says "kiss my sushi". Just leave town quickly after the track session.

But if you want to be seen in public on the streets, you have to get something else.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-15-2004 | 12:53 PM
Re: Own: STI but Looking: G35 Coupe

LMAO, Kiss my Sushi and Ramen Noodles..
Yes, STi is awesome sports car, G35 is great tourer..
If u young and dont need a car to pick up chicks - go for STi,
Get G35 for luxury, comfort, and smooth cruising..
My vote goes to STi though...