G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Vette Z06 for Lunch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vette Z06 for Lunch

Went up to Laguna Seca race course in Monterey with THX723 this weekend. Spent Friday turning laps. Lots of nice S2000 Hondas from a club, a some other neat cars like a Ferrari, a Porsche, couple of Subie STI's, a Cobra and a couple of Z06 Corvettes.
Now, this was a first for me, and so I was in the beginner's group of about 18 cars. Spent some class room time getting oriented to the rules, flag system (every corner has a flagman with a radio head set). First class operation, and the track was immaculate.
The first timers sign up for an instructor, one for two drivers. He gets in an S 2000 and leads the way, while I follow, to get the line, learn the braking and turn in spots, etc. This is for a few laps. Then we go to the hot pit, he switches cars and jumps in mine, buckles up and we take the lead. We do a few laps and it is pretty clear the S is having a hard time keeping up with the FI G35. Total time on the track is about 20 minutes or so. They throw a checker flag which means one cool off lap. You keep the car moving fast, but stay off the brakes to help cool them down. Then you pit, brace the front tire against your spare so the emergency brake is not on (to avoid warping the rotor) and let the motor idle for awhile to help cool it down. Forty minutes of down time to check everything over, get a glass of water, talk to other drivers, etc. IT GOES BY FAST.

Then on the track again, after the intermediate and advanced groups have had their runs. This time two laps only with the instructor, and you are on your own. Working the line through the apex of the curves, and gradually working up the speeds to get through the turns smoothly, and increase the exit speeds as best you can. Some of the curves demand that you break the back loose and slide......it gets comfortable after a few laps, but the first couple of times you are looking at the wall and going holy s@#t you idiot do not prang your car on that concrete! It may seen like 30 feet is a big space, but when you are coming at it from over 80mph and then turn hard left.....well it seems way too intimate to a beginner.

Third time out, the instructor had blown third gear on his WRX and nothing to ride, so I asked him to come out and help me with more driving tips. Very valuable to have the man right there in your ear constantly telling you where to go, etc., just a super tutorial. If nothing else to have the confidence to go ahead and throw it in there hard, which your brain is telling you, but your emotions and lack of experience are screaming back WHAT? ARE YOU NUTS?. But it works. The car does what it is "supposed to".
Then he gets out, I have five more laps before lunch. Get back on the course at the Andretti turn 2 and there in front is a beautiful Z06. The hunt starts, he is 400 yards ahead. Work the turns and the line for max exit speed. Every turn, chipping away at twenty, thirty yards, and every straight, nibble a bit more....not so much hauling him down but just better exit speed and later braking into the turn...the brembos work great. One lap, half the distance closed, second lap, right on his butt at turn 2, take turn 3 and only four car lengths behind, get to turn 5 and the flag marshall orders him to pull aside and let me by, around 5 and up the hill to turn 6 and he points the G35 by. Two more laps and he is nowhere to be seen in the mirror.
Wasn't too hungry at lunch break. Tummy was full of Z06.

Ferrari spun out in front of me the next session, had to juke right to get around him. That was interesting. Hate to end the day T boning a classic, even if it was his goof. Then pulled off the course, got the instructor to step behind the wheel and take my girlfriend for a couple of laps (I cannot take a passenger obviously). She liked it, but it is harder to be a passenger with less to hold on to, just the door handle in your right hand.
Only got passed once all day, by a Subie STI in the hands of an advanced driver. No way could I match up......I think he would have beat me on a Vespa. Top speeds are not all that high, to my surprise, a little over 110 on the front straight, maybe 120 max.....never got it into 6th and only 5th as one is just cresting the front straight at turn 1, so you quickly have to start dropping down to third or even second for the 210 degree haipin after you fly over the top of that hill.

And the corkscrew? Gets your attention, but nowhere near as difficult a turn as number 2 and absolutely the toughest is number 11. You come at that sucker, a ninety degree turn like your favorite supermarket parking lot, at 70 plus mph and then have to haul it down to second gear, crank it left and not lose the rear...with a concrete wall looking right at you. Got some serious wheel hop a couple of times braking into that baby.

The car handles great, and taking it to the track really gives you a chance to learn what it can do in a safer environment.
And did not wet my pants either. All around, a good day.
But killing off that Vette......I gotta go back and have some seconds on that dish.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Re: Vette Z06 for Lunch

Oh man, looks like you had alot of fun. I would love to go out to the track with my G, but crashing a car that I can barely afford seems nuts to me.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 02-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.....alot of posters talk about blowing off cars and racing on the streets which IMO is pretty dangerous for yourself and mainly others who have no idea what your doing....taking classes and understanding the theories of practical race driving is advantageous not only on the track but for normal day to day driving as well.......hope you continue and and let us know your progress as well...just be careful even race driver and their cars occassionaly pay the BIG price for testing the limits of themselves and their cars!!!!20ld4this

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 02-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome. Wish I had the money to do that!

Old 02-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Considering the cost of one speeding ticket, and the attendant increase in insurance premiums for it for a one or two year period (minimum), it is cheaper to go out twice a year to a quality track than it is it zoot scoot around town, and much safer! Helps you to keep it in the bag on city streets.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-08-2004, 07:19 PM

Well I'll be damned. Someone who knows how to spell, punctuate and spin a good tale. Well done Eagle 1. I enjoyed every word.

Doug

2004 6MT, Desert Platinum, Side Molding, Splash Guards, Sat. Radio

Asheville,NC

Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 PM

Great narrative Eagle 1. My buddy did Laguna Seca recently in his EVO 8 and he was telling me about turn 11. Sounds like everyone has trouble there and some people come close to eating the wall. Glad your boosted car performed well. Hopefully one day I can do Laguna Seca too. Only have done Streets of Willow so far.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM

my sentiments too, a great story and written in English!!. In Toronto we have the Mossport track and basically the same kind of setup - you go out with an instructor and then get to lap alone - unless you are advanced the track is kept free of other cars at a similar point to you on the track to avoid that T-Bone. The really great thing is that it allows some of that testosterone to fly freely in a "safe" way without harming other innocent motorists. I wish that others would take the option and try the track before engaging in all the street racing one reads about in this forum. - Not that Im a good driver but at least I think I have an appreciation of what the car can do and just maybe what to do in response.....

Old 02-09-2004, 03:20 PM

enjoyable.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Sounds great, but with all due respect, don't get too wound up about beating the Z06. That car, with any respectable driver, will wipe it's *** with you.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may enjoy these pics from Watkins Glen, NY

Pics: http://www.ducatiguy.com/glen/

That's my little 4cyl 300 HP beast, Ron Checca's old M3.

I have yet to take the G for a run around the twisties.....

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-09-2004, 04:06 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sounds great, but with all due respect, don't get too wound up about beating the Z06. That car, with any respectable driver, will wipe it's *** with you.

Even when he's got the ATI procharger underneath the hood?

-T

Old 02-09-2004, 04:47 PM

Even when he's got the ATI procharger underneath the hood?

-T
__________________________________________________ _

Yeah, stock the Z06 comes with 355 or so Rear Wheel Hp and typically weighs in under 3100#'s. With the weight of the G you would need to be putting a lot more HP than that down.

Cool story about the best mod out there though~Track time.

Glad you had fun at a great track.

Sam

Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets not forget the 405HP Z06....

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-09-2004, 05:48 PM

I was estimating the RWHP of the Z06. Most Vettes end up with a 15% driveline loss. Not a very efficient tranny.

BTW: Slick wheel set up. I like the black w/machined lip.

sam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vette Z06 for Lunch