G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is there a really big difference in premium vs regular gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i always fill up 91, and if there was 93 or even higher in SOCAL i would use that too. Its cleaner for your engine, more HP (slightly), better mileage, and its a negligible cost difference so why not??

Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Not sure where you got the "they dump it into the reg" thing but I note two things:

1) If that's your justification that reg is just as good as prem, then you're contradicting yourself in regards to the importance if prem grade in the G.
2) I'm no gas station expert but considering the miniscule markup gas stations have on gas sales, I don't see them paying for premium and then selling it at mid or reg fuel prices. They would be taking a loss
never said reg is just as good as premium. i said reg works fine and premium isnt necessary. of course you get a tiny bit more power and better gas mileage from premium. but not much.

and my stepfather drives gas tankers and delivers to the stations. so heres how it works.

the gas station places an order for x gallons of fuel. however much they estimate they will need when the truck comes for delivery.

now if they order too much, they dont just get off easy and not have to take it, they have to pay for it and it gets dumped into the lower octane tanks.
however, oppositely, if they order too much regular, it is illegal to dump it into the higher octane tanks, because it will decrease the level of something or other i dont remember.

maybe its diff for you cali boys but thats how it goes in NY.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
^^ i doubt they often mix up the orders of thousands of gallons of fuel.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by STOOF
never said reg is just as good as premium. i said reg works fine and premium isnt necessary. of course you get a tiny bit more power and better gas mileage from premium. but not much.
How much did you save by filling with regular rather than premium? Not much. Thank you, you just proved my point

Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 AM
yeah! and higher octane fuels dont give you hp. they just allow your engine to make what they're rightfully supposed to make from the factory. so using anything less is an intentional horsepower reduction.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by redlude97
How much did you save by filling with regular rather than premium? Not much. Thank you, you just proved my point
well, here its a 20 cent diff bet 87 and 93, so if i get 18 gals, thats $3.60. ok not a big diff.

BUT, if i fill up in NJ, where its about 45 cents less than NY, 87 in NJ would be 65 cents cheaper than 93 in NY. so thats an 11.70 diff for 18 gals.

thats over $600 saved a year. thanks.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 AM
haha the controversy of which gas is better, i think if you purchased a g35 its a beautiful car that deserves the best quality of everything you put on it and in it. in other words its a wise choice to put premium no matter what, even if regular doesnt mess up the engine. am i right?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by STOOF
well, here its a 20 cent diff bet 87 and 93, so if i get 18 gals, thats $3.60. ok not a big diff.

BUT, if i fill up in NJ, where its about 45 cents less than NY, 87 in NJ would be 65 cents cheaper than 93 in NY. so thats an 11.70 diff for 18 gals.

thats over $600 saved a year. thanks.
Thats got to be one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen in my life. Why don't you look at it this way. If you fill up with 93 in NJ instead of 87 in NY, you'll be saving 25 cents a gallon, thats $4.50 a tank for premium.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Premier Member

This thread is so funny...

You get Civics guys modding their cars and putting the best gas in their cars while a guy with a 40K car biotches and states you don't need to use the best. Regular is just good enough. Sad, if you can't afford to play then sell the car and get something you can afford.

Car is design to run at certain specs under certain conditions. The owners manual states Premium. If the car can run at a lower gas grade wouldn't the manufacture advertise that? Saves you money on gas. They don't because they rated the car's HP at a certain spec so in order to meet those HP they need the correct grade of gas.

We don't need to convince you to put a higher grade. Do what you want to do with your car. Thank god it's not my car. For all those that think its not beneficial...Just keep that comment to yourself. If you want to screw you own car then that's fine don't screw with other people's cars. For those asking go with what the manual states. Most of the stuff in the manual came from ENGINEERS that did all the RD. The retards internet mechanics that are too cheap to follow the maintenance are the last people you should be getting advice from.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by jalilig35
haha the controversy of which gas is better, i think if you purchased a g35 its a beautiful car that deserves the best quality of everything you put on it and in it. in other words its a wise choice to put premium no matter what, even if regular doesnt mess up the engine. am i right?
Use premium rather than regular to get all the HP you paid for, and because the difference in cost for a tank is usually only a few bucks, and if you are driving a g35 and worrying about a few dollars, you should probably rethink owning one, obviously its outside of your means

Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 AM
well said hai and redlude

Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by j 4 lD
well said hai and redlude
Here's something to trip you out
Hai=Redlude97

Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Premier Member

"When this occurs, if a fuel with below recommended octane is used, the engine will knock. Modern engines have anti-knock provisions built into the control systems and this is usually achieved by dynamically de-tuning the engine while under load by increasing the fuel-air mixture and retarding the spark. Here is a link to a white paper that gives an example: [3] . In this example, the engine maximum power is reduced by about 4% with a fuel switch from 93 to 91 octane (11 hp, from 291 to 280 hp). If the engine is being run below maximum load, the difference in octane will have even less effect. The example cited does not indicate at what elevation the test is being conducted or what the barometric pressure is. For each 1000 feet of altitude the atmospheric pressure will drop by a little less than 11 kPa/km (1 inHg). An engine that might require 93 octane at sea level may perform at maximum on a fuel rated at 91 octane if the elevation is over, say, 1000 feet. See also the APC article.

The octane rating was developed by chemist Russell Marker. The selection of n-heptane as the zero point of the scale was due to the availability of very high purity n-heptane, not mixed with other isomers of heptane or octane, distilled from the resin of the Jeffrey Pine. Other sources of heptane produced from crude oil contain a mixture of different isomers with greatly differing ratings, which would not give a precise zero point."

Here's information you can read up on...Point is you just made your HP slower just to save 2 bucks..or 600 a year...Last that I checked. People mod their cars to make it faster...Hmm, those that are doing the opposite shouldn't be giving advice. WTF would I listen to a person that just made my car slower to save 2 bucks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Last edited by hai109; 10-23-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by redlude97
Here's something to trip you out
Hai=Redlude97
He's

PNWhai

I'm SocalHai....

haha

Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM
PNWHhai?

both of you are Hai? HUHH

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a really big difference in premium vs regular gas?