G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is there a really big difference in premium vs regular gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe we should let this one die already. yeah your car could run on sake but why would you do that? just put what the people that made the car reccomend for it. whichis PREMIUM FUEL ONLY BISHES.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing premium is NEEDED for is if you are gonna redline it at every stop light. I have done research on the internet and they say if a car recommends premium you can use regular gas, it will just cause your engine to heat up more than premium but nothing too serious. They also say if you use premium and are not pushing the engine enough, the premium gas, being thicker than regular, will begin to build up in the gas tank and cause problems.

Premium Gas= Higher Combustion for better performance
Regular Gas= Lower Combustion not as good of performance

Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
The only thing premium is NEEDED for is if you are gonna redline it at every stop light. I have done research on the internet and they say if a car recommends premium you can use regular gas, it will just cause your engine to heat up more than premium but nothing too serious. They also say if you use premium and are not pushing the engine enough, the premium gas, being thicker than regular, will begin to build up in the gas tank and cause problems.

Thicker, really?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
The only thing premium is NEEDED for is if you are gonna redline it at every stop light. They also say if you use premium and are not pushing the engine enough, the premium gas, being thicker than regular, will begin to build up in the gas tank and cause problems.

Compression ratio is a fixed property of your engine. It has to do with the specific bore and stroke of said engine. It doesn't change with rpm or with the type of gasoline you use.

Premium gas isn't "thicker" than regular gas. It has a higher octane/heptane percentage, that's it.

Last edited by zx11pilot; 10-23-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Nah, don't listen to any of these so-called "experts." It's all a conspiracy, concocted by "The Man."

Arco regular unleaded is the best. Just like disposable alkaline batteries, the cheapest option is always the best.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
guess those guys were a bunch of whacko's!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Nah, don't listen to any of these so-called "experts." It's all a conspiracy, concocted by "The Man."

Arco regular unleaded is the best. Just like disposable alkaline batteries, the cheapest option is always the best.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Premium has a higher viscosity for better engine protection.

Originally Posted by redlude97
Thicker, really?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Premier Member

Wow...what you can read on the internet these days...

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, well because it's 8 pages long and I've done my own research. best performance is the 94 octane (sunoco), however daily driving you lose 7% to a tank compared at 91 Octane (esso), 87 octane (both gas brands) gives you lessened performance and about 11-14% fewer kms to a tank. I did this in an 04 G35 Coupe, 03 Sentra spec-v, 06 Lexus GX470, and my dad is getting the same results so far with his 07 Harley Ultra Classic...

here's my baseline numbers for the G (so far). once I turn the car on I go directly to the fuel mileage/vaccuum gauge. it usually comes up with a number between 715km and 740km. I've only gotten over 700 a couple times and that was leisure driving. so I used 700 as my baseline. I drove consistently the same way. for 10 fuel ups - ~7000km. found that I regularly got the full 700 on Esso 91, since I started fuelling up with Sunoco I've been getting between 625 and 650 as the maximum (I had maybe 2 litres of gas left when I fueled up). I tried 87 octane at sunoco, found that the car sputtered a lil when trying to pass cars when need be, also I got about 600kms on the tank. after the sputter I decided that was enough tortune for the car.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by hai109
This thread is so funny...

You get Civics guys modding their cars and putting the best gas in their cars while a guy with a 40K car biotches and states you don't need to use the best. Regular is just good enough. Sad, if you can't afford to play then sell the car and get something you can afford.

Car is design to run at certain specs under certain conditions. The owners manual states Premium. If the car can run at a lower gas grade wouldn't the manufacture advertise that? Saves you money on gas. They don't because they rated the car's HP at a certain spec so in order to meet those HP they need the correct grade of gas.

We don't need to convince you to put a higher grade. Do what you want to do with your car. Thank god it's not my car. For all those that think its not beneficial...Just keep that comment to yourself. If you want to screw you own car then that's fine don't screw with other people's cars. For those asking go with what the manual states. Most of the stuff in the manual came from ENGINEERS that did all the RD. The retards internet mechanics that are too cheap to follow the maintenance are the last people you should be getting advice from.
Great post in the epic battle between the Taco Bell counter jockeys and the educated minority!

Just to let you know, these morons have fellow knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing father/uncles, brother/cousins on just about every other forum for cars that burn premium.

I love the stories about the uncles who deliver gas, the friends who dilute their convenience store cheapo gas with MD20-20, or the Einsteins who spend $100 for a turbo whirl installed in their intakes raising their gas mileage by 200%.

Bottomline: anyone who frets a $0.20 difference in the price of regular versus premium has never done the math mainly because they are incapable of doing the math, yet they'll spend $100's on "mods" that do nothing but LOWER the value of their cars, thereby making them victims. It's a cirlce of stupidity.

Guys, take a few minutes, sit down with a calculator, and work these simple equations:

a. miles driven a year

b. average miles per gallon

c. gallons consumed annually = a/b

d. annual cost of using premium = c * $0.20

Now ask yourself the question - is that amount of money worth the reduced performance (both power and mpg)?

If so, get a Civic.

Class dismissed.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned
^it's worth it

Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow. So many dilholes. The d-bags that can't justify $0.20 extra per gallon have somehow justified $40K for a car. Why not just get an Elantra? It does the same thing for $30K less. These are probably the same people who have no issues dropping $4 for a coffee at Starbucks or $5 for a beer at a bar.

I agree with the comment made above. Do whatever stupidness you want with your car, just don't go preaching it to other people.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM
^ amen brother!!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
now what is the best gas station to get gas from? one better than the other, any recommendations? i live in southern cali

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a really big difference in premium vs regular gas?