G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Raced a Cadillac XLR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2004 | 10:43 PM
|
Raced a Cadillac XLR

At about 3 in the morning a few nights ago i was driving North on the Taconic Parkway when i notice a pair of xenon lights approaching me very fast in my mirror. He was traveling faster than I was at the time and passed me at about 90 mph. I downshift to third and floor it. I gained a little on him and then threw it into fourth gear, i narrowed the gap even more. I shift into fifth and eventually pass him. To be honest, i was only able to look at my spedometer once during the race and we were at 130, this is the speed i was driving when i passed him. He did not give up and i kept my foot on the gas the whole time, so i am assuming I was going anywhere from 135 to 140 mph before i shut it down. He pulls up next to me and we start to talk...we were literally driving 15 mph at this point. I tell him how much i like his car and that it is def a fast little roadster. He asked me if my car was stick and i responded yes. He tells me thats why i won. I personally would like to think i won because i am a better driver and my car was faster than his but thats alright. He never once complimented the coupe and seemed a tad bit resentful that he lost. Nonetheless, i told him to drive safe and that i liked his car again. Yet another victory for the G.
Drive safe and be careful!!

Old 02-21-2004 | 11:09 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Re: Raced a Cadillac XLR

I can honestly say I have never driven my car or any car that fast on a public road/highway...nor would I. Congrats on the win, but that is asking for trouble IMO.

Old 02-21-2004 | 11:39 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Staff Alumni

I think an automatic would have given him a run for his money and possibly overtaken him. So how do they look in person? I'd drool the first time I see one on the road.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 02-21-2004 | 11:40 PM

Good kill. He's driving a Cadillac. He got beat by an import, its no wonder why he's resentful. =)

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-22-2004 | 12:03 AM
|

It looked SICK in person. And to be honest i had to ask him what kind of car he wa driving !! I suggested it was a CTS and then he snickered and said it was an XLR. He was def cocky....i dont get that though. Everytime i have lost a race, (2 times...540i and HEAVILY modded GTI...which gave me a spanking so horrible that it reminded me when i was 3 years old and did something bad...and i guess i lost to an M roadster as well (missed a shift)..however, we raced three times and i won the other 2..once from a roll where i killed him and once more off the line where it was really close but i won...damn those things are fast off the line. Neways...everyime i have lost i ALWAYS make a point of giving the other driver lots of props and respect...i dont understand why everyone doesnt do that? oh well.

Old 02-22-2004 | 09:23 AM

I have auto G coupe and a lot of mod on my car right now. It is faster than the stock indeed. I found that even if people who driving manual cannot shift as fast as auto,especailly, ECU sets quicker shifts but on dyno I have seen the auto has 3 HP less than manual.If I race a manual,i would put in semi-manual mode. Certainly,everyone who with auto trans can wins cars with manual shfit if we can perfectly control our cars. XLR has 320HP,and I think Cadilac cares luxury more than performance. The engine is mighty but the car is not good when competing with cars on same level.

Old 02-22-2004 | 10:22 AM

be glad u didn't race a caddilac cts-v, he would have had you by a mile. but good kill by tha way. pz

High Point NC
04 G35 6MT Sedan, Diamond Graphite on Black.
Arrived on 10/20/03
Mods include.
20% tint
INJEN CAI, black
clear bra
clear corners

Rip 2002 Altima 2.5s blk/grey 5/30/02-10/7/03

Old 02-22-2004 | 01:04 PM

I'm really sorry but lets get real here.

1) you have to be a really BAD driver to be faster with an automatic That "shifts for you"
2) The XLR is practically a C6 vette.
It sports 320 HP and weighs 3600 lbs.

If you passed the dude doing 130mph he *clearly* wasnt pushing - unless the car is electronically speed limited.

I'm not dissing ya at all - nice "kill" but be sure that this dude weas really RACING ya!

Old 02-22-2004 | 01:19 PM
|

First of all, I am positive the guy was really racing. You dont go 130mph and not try to win the race. He also told me i won because my car was stick, which means he was acknowleding his deafet And second, lets say that his car is way faster than mine. That doesnt mean that the driver of that car is willing to go that fast just because his car is capable of going that fast. He could have been scared. [censored], i was scared going that fast. Bottom line, no matter how you slice it....i won.

Old 02-22-2004 | 01:31 PM

That’s a funny. I raced a Lexus GS400 last week on the Taconic Parkway. It was a really good race. I won by a car length. The race ended at around 125-130mph. We both exited at the same exit and he asked if my car was a stick. I replied, yeah. He went on to say that the only reason that I won was because my car was stick and that he needs a new suspension because his is worn-out. I told him that that is BS and he needs to stop racing on a worn out suspension. Some people never want to give props when props are due.

"Not all G35 owners are G35 Drivers"
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT-BS/BLK | Full Aero-Navi | Gounding Wires | Clear Corners | 15% tinted windows | 350Z Tube | JWT PopCharger | Front Lip Spoiler on order.....

Old 02-22-2004 | 01:41 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i was driving North on the Taconic Parkway...

...i am assuming I was going anywhere from 135 to 140 mph before i shut it down...

...Drive safe and be careful!!

<hr></blockquote>

Uh-huh...

Old 02-22-2004 | 03:43 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Staff Alumni

The XLR performance numbers are virtually on par with a 5AT G35.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 02-22-2004 | 04:48 PM

my bad...i read "stick" as "stock"

I wasnt so much doubting you as I was doubting the whole auto is faster than a manual thing I was detecting...but then I am pretty damn hung over.

In that case - I give ya props!

I raced my buddy in his SL500 in my Z last year. He was really pissed when I smoked himlike it was nothing. I TOLD him to get the AMG pacakage and drop the $15K "designio" edition paintjob....oh well we may be faster than theose guys - but hell, they are REALLY PIMP rides (the xlr and sl)

Old 02-22-2004 | 06:59 PM

With all due respect, you're street racing on the Taconic Parkway (an old-design, 1930's era road), at nite and doing 135 mph, and you tell people to "drive safely"? uh huh, second time around.

Second, the CAdillac XLR has, I think, the new, C6 Corvette's suspension and frame. But, if I recall the stats, the engine is the LS-1 which is the de-tuned version from the 345-350 hp of the C5 Corvette's power. The new C6 Corvette (scheduled to debut this year as an '05 model) has a completely different, albeit still pushrod, engine. And, the XLR weighs about 200 lbs. more than the G Coupe which is not a lightweight either.

On a track, drag strip quarter mile or road course, it would have been, arguably, some competition to the G Coupe, automatic or stick. Just as some automatic trans, G Coupe drivers are, with even minor mods, some very good competitors either in autocross or quarter mile.

Again, with all due respect, be glad you lived to post your story. You may want to consider another means of "racing" because if your car ever goes a bit haywire at those speeds, in that type of location/situation, they'll be picking up pieces of you for several hundred feet.

BONDg35c

Old 02-23-2004 | 08:02 AM

On the chance that you didn't see this one:

"g35s_autocrosser
Nissan Addict

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Another tragic loss to our community
#67685391 - 02/22/04 09:42 PM Edit Reply Quote

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Frank Steeves, our beloved colleague who posted here as cyclemall.net and over on g35driver.com as G35spot has passed away in a terrible auto accident. He was out driving with a friend. It was wet when he hit some water, hydroplaned and lost control of the car. He apparently hit a traffic signal pole. He was taken to Irvine Medical Center where he later passed away from his injuries.

I never personally met Frank, but we IM'ed eachother on a regular basis about our sedans, and we had a few telephone conversations as well. He was a great guy that like many of us, loved his family and shared a strong passion for cars. It's a terrible tragedy that I hate to have to pass along, but I wanted everyone that knew him or shared words with him to know.

His wife and daughter are in my thoughts. I will miss Frank and his great knowledge and passion of our cars. Everyone please be safe out there.

Don Gutierrez "

"GrndMstrG
Nissan Addict

Reged: 10/26/03
Loc: Riverside, CA
Re: Another tragic loss to our community
#67685447 - 02/22/04 10:50 PM Edit Reply Quote

Oh my God

Frank has helped me out on a number of questions and was such a knowledable guy. I remember I had a big converstation with him a while back about something...I dont remember the topic but he was so helpful. I still cannot believe I am writing this...it hits so close to home. I live right here in Riverside county (30 minutes from Irvine) and its been raining for a week solid. Just a very sad and sobering thing to hear. May God watch over us all and especially the family of Frank Steeves.

OUR CARS ARE FUN TO DRIVE BUT WE ALL NEED TO BE VERY CAUTIONS AND KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAVING FUN AND BEING FOOLISH AND WHEN THERE ARE ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS, WE ALL NEED TO BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS. I LUV YOU GUYS (and some gals out there) AND I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANYONE ELSE TO SOMETHING LIKE THIS

Gabe

P.S. Don, when did this accident happen? (today?) "

MAYBE THIS WILL BE OF SOME BENEFIT TO YOU THE NEXT TIME YOU'RE ON THE TACONIC. Me, I'd rather read FROM you and not ABOUT you.

BONDg35c

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Raced a Cadillac XLR