G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

borla exhaust review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
borla exhaust review

Put my Borla on today. To tell you the truth, I'm not too impressed. Fit and finish of the exhaust was terrible. Had scratches all over it when I took it out of the box. I ordered it direct from Borla so I'm quite surprised they'd allow it to look this way. Also, the way the two pipes connect in a feeble attempt to form an H-Pipe is sorry. Very bad design in my opinion. I had a leak there until I squeezed it some more and clamped the hell out of it.

Also, even though the exhaust note on the Borla is deeper than stock, I prefer the way the stock exhaust sounds under throttle. The Borla sounds just as subdued as an ordinary OEM exhaust.

The saving grace is that I noticed a considerable gain on the butt dyno, as it seems the car revs a bit quicker and pulls a bit harder. If it weren't for this, I'd send the damn thing back.

Just an opinion for the archives. And keep in mind my previous ride was a 410 whp 300ZX twin turbo, and I ran that sucker without cats. If interested in seeing it, it's the red one in the dupont registry.

Later.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: borla exhaust review

Foremost, you're not the only one who feels that way about the Borla....

Secone, what did DuPont swindle out of ya for the add? When I use to race kart for a local sports car dealership, the guys over there use to post numerous adds a month, and when I found out the prices they charge for a single (regular size) add, I was like what a RIP! With that in mind, what obnoxious (goes hand in hand with post an add in DuPont) price are you asking for your Z?

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 03-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, that dupont ad wasn't posted by me. The person who bought the Z from me is the one responsible for the add. He just called me up out of the blue and offered me a ridiculous amount of money for the car, and I just sold it to him. He is now trying to turn a profit in it, obviously.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has these impression of the Borla. I had done a lot of research, however and didn't get the impression that it would be like this.

Can't wait to get the testpipes on. This should be good.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The exhaust needs some time to break in. In a few hundred miles the tone will change for the better. Much better.

I'd suggest a Z-tube/pop-charger combo in addition. That will REALLY give the exhaust a nice tone, along with more power.

2003.5 6MT Premium Black Coupe//6-wire G.kit//Al. pedals//PIAA//Borla TD Exhaust//Z-tube//JWT Pop-charger//RT cats

Old 03-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a legitimate concern with the Borla. It has a lot more pieces, and thus places for leaks to develop. It is also hard to get them both up tight and level with each other. My right exhaust hangs a smidgeon lower, and I have had a little rubbing on my rear sway bar, which irks me. I put a heat resistant rubber piece in between them to protect them both, and that solved it, but......shouldn't have to do that.

But...it is 12 pounds lighter than stock, gives some hp, and sounds.....almost stock. Just a little deeper after it settles in. This is even with FI. However, change out to high flow cats and it talks to you, sings to you, and really is sweet sounding. I have about 6000 miles on it now and it is more than satisfactory. If they made it a little better on the connections and with fewer of them, I go from being satisfied to very enthusiastic. The Stillen is really much better with its x pipe configuration, but it is so doggone heavy and expensive, that I opted for Borla, and I am satisfied that for my purposes it was the right choice. If I was not going to track the car, maybe a different choice would have been made.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways