G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Going to LA from Oregon, 12hrs of driving, what should I check before I leave?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to LA from Oregon, 12hrs of driving, what should I check before I leave?

So I am driving to LA with my gf next week for spring break, I have always want to go to LA and be part of the community so I can go to the meets, I been on the forum for a while but I have never been to any meets, sigh.. but anyway.. I just hit 66000 mileage on my car, I just done with the oil change, but I haven't done the 60000 service, is this gonna be a big problem if I don't do it? can I do the service after I come back?? Any suggestions on how to make the trip much more fun than just driving normally? Any Spots I should look out for that might have cops? (I am so glad i got V1) ...
Please give me some feedback thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Try posting in the SoCal section. They're a friendly group.
SoCal Forum

The closer you get to LA, the more you're going to need LEO information.
Have fun down there!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
You can have the service done when you get back...

Tires... make sure they have the right psi... balance them...

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
thanks guys...

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
def. check all your fluids

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Grace
Try posting in the SoCal section. They're a friendly group.
SoCal Forum

The closer you get to LA, the more you're going to need LEO information.
Have fun down there!
what's LEO ?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by edindaclub
what's LEO ?
Law Enforcement Officer.

Mr Policeman....
PoPo....

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Any Spots I should look out for that might have cops? (I am so glad i got V1) ...
heh heh, I used to drive from Portland to LA all the time when I went to college in socal...

Oregon State police likes to hide in dumpy early 80's Bonnevilles in the Ashland area. There is a a rather large Oak looking tree in the center median near the california border that they especially like to hide behind.

In california, I've seen CHP drive around in dumpy looking Chevy S-10 pickup trucks between the OR/CA border and Yreka or Red Bluff. I was about to pass one on I-5 near driving through Shasta, as I thought it was a forest ranger truck... Then as I was overtaking it, I saw "California Highway Patrol" on the door.

When you go through Shasta... There is a fairly long bridge that goes over the lake... It's a downgrade, and easy to go 90+ on that stretch of freway... Be careful, as I've seen CHP hide at the end of the bridge near the bend, catching folks flying down the bridge.

There are also radar speed signs along I-5 near shasta. I've seen CHP chill near there as well.

When you get near sacramento, I-5 goes elevated over some farm land for several miles... PEople love to fly though there as well... CHP have been known to hide in the median at the end of this raised section.

In between Stockton and Bakersfield, I've seen tons of CHP driving around in Mustangs. I've even seen fox-body mustang CHP cars driving around... Be especially careful at night. CHP looooooooooooves to PACE you, rather than zap you. They will also tail-gate the crap out of you, so don't assume its a jackass if somebody at night is riding your bumper. One time I was in the left lane passing a group of cars. I was doing about 80 in a 70. It was dark, but a pair of headlights came roaring down the freeway, and rode my bumper... I inched it up to 90, but he was still riding my ****. There was a long line of cars in the right lane, and he was inching closer to my bumper... So I punched it into triple digits, changed lanes, then coasted down to 85. That's when I noticed the car that was behind me was CHP... He matched pace with me as I was in the right lane, paused for a bit, then punched it again and disappeared in the horizon.

CHP also flies planes over I-5 on the same stretch of freeway between Santa Nella and Bakersfield.

In the grapevine (that big hill you ascend before getting to LA), you'll find it easy to drive 90+ passing cars going uphill. CHP can be found hiding in the median on the downgrades, catching people flying down the hills. On your drive back towards portland, you'll find CHP loving to camp out in the median on the final descent before the grapevine exit.

anyways...

Normally when I get gas... I get gas in Medford/Grants Pass area... Then I can make it to redding where I fill up... From there I can make it to Santa Nella which is like 80 miles south of Stockton. There's a McDonalds at that exit that I usually eat at as well... From there I will gas up at Bakersfield, since it's much cheaper than the grapevine. Plus there are a bunch of places to eat in Bakersfield...

Last edited by avs007; 03-17-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Invest in some heavy radar detection before the trip .. lol

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
wowww..first I have to say a Big thank you to AVS007 , the input is great and I am sure it will help a lot. I really appreciated for the long writting, I was just kinda scared because I have never plan to drive for a trip like this long, I usually drive from eugene to seattle. I was just worried about run out of gas, but now you mentioned it, so, I guess I know where to stop now. Thanks A WHOLE LOT !!! WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE You to make this community better.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 AM
wowww..first I have to say a Big thank you to AVS007 , the input is great and I am sure it will help a lot. I really appreciated for the long writting, I was just kinda scared because I have never plan to drive for a trip like this long, I usually drive from eugene to seattle. I was just worried about run out of gas, but now you mentioned it, so, I guess I know where to stop now. Thanks A WHOLE LOT !!! WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE You to make this community better.
No problem, glad to help

What time you planning on leaving portland? You planning on driving straight through?

I've left at all sorts of different times....
If you plan on spending the night in a hotel halfway through, you can stop by at the McDonalds in Red Bluff or Yreka. They have a Traveler's Magazine inside that has hotel coupons.

Depending on what time of day you leave portland, some places I've stayed at that were decent priced and nice/clean/etc.

Best Western in Corning, CA (a little south of Red Bluff)
Holiday Inn in Sacramento, off I-80, about 5 minutes east of I-5.
Holiday Inn / Ramada (they keep changing names) in Santa Nella Village (Where CA-33 crosses I-5, 80 miles south of Stockton)

These places were like $29-$49 the last time I stayed there, granted this was like 8 years ago.

Normally I try to drive straight through.
I typically drive 72 on I-5 in Oregon and 77 on I-5 in California.
At those speeds.... It takes around 4.5 hours to get to the OR/CA border. I usually end up eating at the food court at the mall in Medford.

Once you hit the OR/CA border you are about 2 hours from redding. I usually take the Cypress exit, and head right. There is a shell station I usually get gas at... If you need cheap gas, I get gas at the USA Gas a few blocks further down the street. There are many restaurants along Cypress.

From redding, you are 2 hours from sacramento. Depending on time of day, I'll eat at the McDonalds in Williams, which is like 60 miles north of Sacramento.
From Sacramento, you are another 2 hours from Santa Nella Village. There are a few restaurants at the CA-33 exit. This is where I gas up as well.

From here, you are 285 miles from LA. About 2 hours IIRC from Bakersfield, where there are a crapload of restaurants. You can't miss it... You'll be driving in the desert, and all of a sudden you'll see tall palm trees and a bunch of gas stations/restaurants that appear in the middle of nowhere. From here you are 110 miles from LA IIRC. I like to get gas here, cause it's cheaper than the grapevine, which has always been a ripoff as long as I can remember. If you gas up here, you can make it all the way to disneyland if you wanted to and still have 1/4 tank left.

If you are a crazy *** like my wife, you can leave portland at 11pm or midnight (yes at night), and you'll arrive in LA around dinner time if you take your time.

If you leave in the morning, you'll arrive in LA around midnight, depending on how early you leave and/or how fast you drive, and how many breaks you take.

Personally I prefer to leave portland around 7am. That way you can try to make it to LA by midnight, but you can sleep at Santa Nella Village if you are excessively tired.

If you leave at night, it'll be daylight when you get to LA... but I have a hard time staying awake once I get to Roseburg... Once the sun comes up, I found it easy to stay awake. I only leave portland at night if I tag team with my wife on driving.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Coupe
bring GAS...LOTS OF IT. i'm sure you guys upstate have it much cheaper then most californians

Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
check to make sure you have gas in the tank. that always helps.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I am driving to LA with my gf next week for spring break, I have always want to go to LA and be part of the community so I can go to the meets, I been on the forum for a while but I have never been to any meets, sigh.. but anyway.. I just hit 66000 mileage on my car, I just done with the oil change, but I haven't done the 60000 service, is this gonna be a big problem if I don't do it? can I do the service after I come back?? Any suggestions on how to make the trip much more fun than just driving normally? Any Spots I should look out for that might have cops? (I am so glad i got V1) ...
i would check the air pressure in your tires and your tires first, then your belts to see if they are cracking, change your trans fluid and diff fluid before you go if you can, and make sure you have your spare in your trunk

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
music selection

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going to LA from Oregon, 12hrs of driving, what should I check before I leave?