G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help convince parents to get a 6spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JTG35
You are 19 and driving a G thats good. 6MT or Auto you should be happy. My parents bought me a beat up 1985 Toyota Corolla (stick shift though ). I was happy then I work my way up slowly. Sometime driving nice car is only for looks but driving a Civic and have fat wallet is the player...IMO.
I diagree!!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolly Baggins
I diagree!!
I understand, i think most of the younger guy would probably disgree as well....

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by JTG35
I understand, i think most of the younger guy would probably disgree as well....
Haha, well I am 22. I am a bit young but where I am now is all due to me and no outside help. My father dropped me off at the Toyota dealership for my first car and left me there, LOL. So that's where my credit building started. Lets just say I started with off with a 2002 Camry paying %14.45 interest with absolutely no credit, then purchased an MK5 GTI brand new, 2% APR -- to my currentG35... 5% APR...The G35 was considered "used" -- hence the high APR, lowest banks usually lend for used cars are 6.25% APR. Everything with no co-signment. My parents bought me stuff time to time before I was 19.. but when I hit 19 -- let's just say I would be lucky to even get a happy meal from them! LOL. Although I don't blame them and I thank my dad for making me what I am today and teaching me real stuff.

The only reason I disagreed was because I've met alot of people with "fat wallets" but crappy cars is because they really don't know how to money manage and half of them have still not yet developed their credit or really ready for the real world.

I am sure there are many people out there that can handle it and drive an civic. I am not trying to be an elitist or anything but just thought I'd chime in. If I came off as a ***** I am sorry -- I did not mean to, like I said an sentance ago... Just wanted to give my little opinion.

Last edited by Lolly Baggins; 04-23-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lov3rboy408
Automatic resale value higher than 6MT..
HAHA in general yes... but not for G35's ... do your research...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Haha, well I am 22. I am a bit young but where I am now is all due to me and no outside help. My father dropped me off at the Toyota dealership for my first car and left me there, LOL. So that's where my credit building started. Lets just say I started with off with a 2002 Camry paying %14.45 interest with absolutely no credit, then purchased an MK5 GTI brand new, 2% APR -- to my currentG35... 5% APR...The G35 was considered "used" -- hence the high APR, lowest banks usually lend for used cars are 6.25% APR. Everything with no co-signment. My parents bought me stuff time to time before I was 19.. but when I hit 19 -- let's just say I would be lucky to even get a happy meal from them! LOL. Although I don't blame them and I thank my dad for making me what I am today and teaching me real stuff.

The only reason I disagreed was because I've met alot of people with "fat wallets" but crappy cars is because they really don't know how to money manage and half of them have still not yet developed their credit or really ready for the real world.

I am sure there are many people out there that can handle it and drive an civic. I am not trying to be an elitist or anything but just thought I'd chime in. If I came off as a ***** I am sorry -- I did not mean to, like I said an sentance ago... Just wanted to give my little opinion.
I agree 100%. Our fathers sound alike. Although I never "wanted" anything so I just lived off the basics. I guess that is why I know the value of the $$$. Kids at my school only have a few thousand, as I am told. It is sitting in a low intrest savings account as well. STUPID! Buy atleast a CD or something. They are broke because they spend their money on stupid stuff and when I go and say "Do you want to go here or do this", their response is "I don't have any money, or, Let me go ask my daddy". Grow the **** up. Man, I'm 17 and pay for all my own stuff and yet see kids complain.

One question, PM me if you want. I am told to stay away from Credit Cards. However i want to make myself a positive credit history. What should I do? Get one or not. I will be 18 soon and I thought I should pick one up and only use it for gas since i have the money to pay it off. You sound like you know what you are talking about. Thanks guys!

-AGThing1227

Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
"Do you want to go here or do this", their response is "I don't have any money, or, Let me go ask my daddy". Grow the **** up. Man, I'm 17 and pay for all my own stuff and yet see kids complain.
-AGThing1227
No kidding! I know way too many of those people. One even has a 350Z, which I recently found out that he still steals/leeches off his parents and been lying about paying for his car, his car is not even under his name -- and once I asked him about his insurance company -- he didn't even know. Guess he doesn't pay for that either. It's not a problem if he's openly admits it but he tries to fake it so it's very...lol. Yeah.

One question, PM me if you want. I am told to stay away from Credit Cards. However i want to make myself a positive credit history. What should I do? Get one or not. I will be 18 soon and I thought I should pick one up and only use it for gas since i have the money to pay it off. You sound like you know what you are talking about. Thanks guys!
I've grown to see that people who have the "Stay away from Credit Cards" mentality is because they cannot manage their own money -- and the reason there is so much of this mentality is because we all know tons of people have no idea how to handle money.

If you're responsible and pay it off every month, there is no reason not to get one -- you get rewards, benefits -- all the good stuff, and if you're paying it off there is no reason to even be scared.

I suggest getting an American Express, and setup an Debit Visa attached to your checking account.

Last edited by Lolly Baggins; 04-23-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I suggest getting an American Express, and setup an Debit Visa attached to your checking account.
+1... AMEX and a credit card tied to your checking account are the best way to go. There should be no reason to have more than 2 credit cards.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you're responsible and can manage your money and use self control with your spending(and have the common sense to realize that whatever you buy on a credit card, you still have to pay for eventually).... then definitely get a credit card. It's a great way to start building some credit by having one and using it for things like gas, etc. I would recommend getting a rewards card geared toward Gas such as a HESS card(10% cash back on all HESS purchases for the first 3 months and 5% after that, plus 2% on all other purchases anywhere else), or the Discover Travel Rewards card which gives you something like 3-5% cash back on all gas purchases everywhere as well as auto repairs(I think).

Just make sure you pay it off in full every month and pay it on time.... preferably using internet payments so you can gaurantee you get it in on time.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM
No kidding! I know way too many of those people. One even has a 350Z, which I recently found out that he still steals/leeches off his parents and been lying about paying for his car, his car is not even under his name -- and once I asked him about his insurance company -- he didn't even know. Guess he doesn't pay for that either. It's not a problem if he's openly admits it but he tries to fake it so it's very...lol. Yeah.

I've grown to see that people who have the "Stay away from Credit Cards" mentality is because they cannot manage their own money -- and the reason there is so much of this mentality is because we all know tons of people have no idea how to handle money.

If you're responsible and pay it off every month, there is no reason not to get one -- you get rewards, benefits -- all the good stuff, and if you're paying it off there is no reason to even be scared.

Yea, thats what I thought about the no credit card theory. I know how to spend/manage my money. I started way back. When I was 9 I delivered the local newspaper. I banked all my money and only allowed myself to spend 20% of what I made. That came to about $16 a month. Not bad considering I did not really want anything as stated above. Wow, now that I think about it, My first job was at 9 and some kids I know never had a job. When I become a dad I am going to make my kids work for everything as I did BUT maybe I will spoil them with a nice(r) car if they show me that they can handle it. I hate being labled as a "kid" or a "teenager" or a "17 year old". Today my one teacher called me a "boy", refering to an unresponsible child. All because she swore I was cheating when I was asleep.....It's been a rough day. I was even turned down to detail a car when the person showed up. I was like wow, very classy. All I have to say is take 5-10% out of your paycheck and save/invest it. Than go from their. Thanks for your help again guys.

-AGThing1227

Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Banned
1st of all, if you can't afford to move out the house, then your parents have the right to tell you no...

2nd, I doubt you paid for the car. Maybe the 2nd G you would pay for, but only after trading in ur auto G and getting some money to help with the down payment.

If you are in fact, paying for it, then save, move out and buy ur 6mt. I find it funny how people are pimping in their car and when its time to take a girl home, they take em to their parents house. hahaha.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by PrayingMantis
1st of all, if you can't afford to move out the house, then your parents have the right to tell you no...

2nd, I doubt you paid for the car. Maybe the 2nd G you would pay for, but only after trading in ur auto G and getting some money to help with the down payment.

If you are in fact, paying for it, then save, move out and buy ur 6mt. I find it funny how people are pimping in their car and when its time to take a girl home, they take em to their parents house. hahaha.
Maybe the kid is 17 like myself. What 17 year old is going to move out on our own?. Because I KNOW you didn't. No comment on your statement. I have been over that many threads before.

Do you know his situation? If he is 22+ and living at home maybe he has a reason. My brother is 25 and living at home with his girlfriend(But in a different part of the house). Why? For his future. He did not go to college and started his own company at age 19 I believe. If you know anything about starting a LARGE company you know it take LOTS of hours and MONEY. So he made sacrafices. Because of him living at home he setup a stable company that is ready to be expanded and is now building a custom home to his wants. So from your statement about living at home just shows that you jump to conclusions, Overlook the whole situation, and just flat out wrong. I won't lie, I will live at home for a bit also due to wanting to buy my dads company. But maybe you have a money tree? I sure don't.

-AGThing1227

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
Talk to Wannabe6MT... sounds like you guys have a lot in common
LMAO