G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

the "dont buy from stillen thread" (part two)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizard 1
I'd say Stillen tried to fix a lot of issues that arose from the story told by Kyle.

Problem is, though that the customer started all this in July and was completed (if that is a correct term) in April the following year. Now, with all the back and forth and stuff that was done wrong and right, it still took 10 months.

That seems a little uncalled for and I am sure the issues didn't help. A company can be good at trying to rectify problems, but a great company takes steps to avoid problems. In other words, offering free this and that as a result of issues that could have been avoided in the first place (Brake shims, trim work, etc.) isn't really a sign of how good a company is. If I can see the overall results were 10 months in the making, I would say forget it and go somewhere else...

It was a tough read and I applaud Kyle for the details and also showing they made some mistakes, but forgetting to order something that pertains to a customer that has had issues for 6 months is not a good thing. We all make mistakes, but if it has been 6 months of back and forth and mistakes and issues, little things can be a big deal...

I'd consider Stillen, but the story from either side isn't a positive one...
Think about it from the business owners point of view. Stillen did everything they could, and dumped alot of money in the process. At some point enough is enough. Personally, I give Stillen props for dealing with this guy's BS as long as they did. I would of told him to Fvck OFF and if you are not happy take me to court. End of discussion.

Personally I buy almost all of my parts from Stillen, and they have been nothing short of fabulous through every transaction. The OP sounds like a scammer to me.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
I doubt any other company would go out of their way and spend $4000 on a single customer to rectify the problems.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
gspothawaii seems like he's trying to get as much money out of this as possible, stillen definitely did MORE than they needed to.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Lip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
I doubt any other company would go out of their way and spend $4000 on a single customer to rectify the problems.
Exactly. Sounds like they tried to build a good relationship with the customer. And when things weren't perfect, they tried to rectify the issues.

I for one have had great experiences with Stillen thus far.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
its nice to see a vendor stand up for them selfs

Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If what Kyle@Stillen said is true, I give them props for accepting responsibility and for being out 4k. Still it's hard to see why a business would agree to come out of pocket that much unless they really fawked some isht up regardless of what the OP is trying to get out of them.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Stillen is a good company...i've bought products from them in the past and i will continue to in the future.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I bought a few items from Stillens....no issues.

I have never heard of any negative stuff about them til today.....

Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
wow at first i thought it was stillen's fault but now that i heard stillen's side of the story i would have to say stillen did way more than they should've and you're either the hardest person to please or you're just trying to con stillen

Old 05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
what i find most disturbing is that stillen is grossly misrepresenting the facts here. lets take a trip back through time:

1) the original thread is missing.

2) the original thread notes the timeline and how long it took to get simple responses - now hours after this thread is posted there is a rebuttal - and a heavily edited one at that. perfect grammer and punctuation.

let me say this here and now:

it took stillen almost nine months to rectify this situation properly. all durng that time i got passed around from low level employees to management. i had to do all the follow up and reminders to get a response. anyone who saw the original thread saw the quotes i received during that time and the overwhelmingly poor customer service which bordered at times on sheer rudeness and elitist behavior because i "didnt spend as much as some other people" and didnt "sign his paycheck". keep in mind ive spent TENS of thousands with this vendor.

i waited and waited. i refused to post negative slander and my feelings unless they were supported by facts. i kept the old thread alive by only saying i hadnt heard anything or was waiting for stillen to fix what was rightfully mine in the first place when my bumper was damaged.

to my credit, i kept calm and allowed stillen the chance to respond - month after month. im not in this for the money or i would have cut my losses a while back. i was offered something a while ago; which stillen now took three weeks after my last query to just say theyre going in a different direction.

my being upset stems from poor pr and customer service combined with months of letting me hang and me then having to follow up on something not created me me that was their responsibility on my own time and expense. ive bought their big brake kit, intercooler, supercharger, and cf hood - so obviously its not a monetary issue. its unfortunate and speaks volumes to me that this is what they still believe.

those of you who saw the old thread and also posted your own problems that had eerily similar tones and experiences know what im talking about. im grateful to those of you who spread this to the other forums.

if you hafve received great service and are happy with stillen - keep on with it and im very happy you did not have to go through what i and others did. this was never a thread about money. its about crap service and cover-ups, followed by more of the same.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:02 AM
considering that stillen had the bumper in theri possession the second time and didnt check it for problems before just shipping it out, im not convinced on thoroughness. how would you feel if you had to set everything up and follow up to see if it was ok with stillen every time and not get any return calls. plus, i fronted all the dough on this and got reimbursed.

i wish we still had teh original thread to refer to - 20,000 plus views and hundreds of posts with similar horror stories doesnt make me sound like im going after cash and prizes here. i spent money to enjoy my car, not get the shaft for months and have my cars bumper screwed up. it took four months just to get them to accept responsibility for the install. the other post showed pics of this - just plain embarrassing workmanship.

you think i like having a company's parts on my car that im now bound to? i have to buy rotors from these guys in the future. anything goes wrong on my supercharger - guess who i have to go to? ive been asking for documentation and for a tech to call me back about a small belt squeak for two months now also... each time i emailed kyle, i was supposed to get a call back. the last time he emailed me to say he was pulling the brakes off the table as a sign of saying sorry - he also said he didnt think i still wanted to talk to a tech. any of you buy a 5k supercharger or related product and not get documentation for it, have a small problem you want to handle on your own and then just decide to forget about it?

stillen didnt fix my brakes at their shop either. towbin infiniti in las vegas actually fixed the problem, so kyle is again mistaken there...

all im saying here is im a common customer who saved for a long time for a car and want to make sure that i respect what ive bought and do things correctly the first time. if i screw up, i apologize and do whatever it takes to correct the situation in a reasonable amount of time. any of you who seem to deem otherwise and think im just trying to con a large company with tons of resources is mistaken.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Considering it takes 1.5 weeks for each item to be shipped, then shipped back ect. I would say this would take just about the right amount of time. Figure one month for each bumper. I am sure the customer did not recieve the bumper and go straight to the body shop. It takes time to get appointments and everything else. So he went through 4 bumpers? I am sure that is 4-5 months in itself. Stillen i am sure is not going to send him a new bumper without recieving the old first. Then the brakes? He had new shims and then new rotors i am sure this took another month to get an appointment and recieve the rotors and shims.

It all falls together. The customer IMO is way out of wack on this one.

-Sean

Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 AM
As one of those who read and kept current with the original thread, and have read other "horror story" threads about Stillen over the years, I have formed an opinion. That opinion is "where there's smoke there's fire." I have no personal experience with Stillen, nor will I ever have. BUT, from all that I have read over the year's, IMHO, Stillen can not be trusted.

Also, in my observations, Stillen has never taken an active role in discussions (defending themselves) before. This phenomena is new activity from them. In the past I called on them to defend themselves, and they never did, until only recently. This is strange to me.

I believe, they finally noticed the potential damage these threads could do, and finally hired a silver tongued spokesperson to handle the bad press. And, they have enough pull (read $) to get threads removed.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticken' to it.

Lou

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
I have bought numerous small things from Stillen. Strut tower bar for my G, short shifter kit, couple of other things. My experiences with them have always been good, and they have done me decent with regards to technical support.

However, I would not go with Stillen for any large items, especially their supercharger. Too many horror stories floating around, without even going into the bang for the buck issues with the Stillen S/C.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gspothawaii
considering that stillen had the bumper in theri possession the second time and didnt check it for problems before just shipping it out, im not convinced on thoroughness. how would you feel if you had to set everything up and follow up to see if it was ok with stillen every time and not get any return calls. plus, i fronted all the dough on this and got reimbursed.

i wish we still had teh original thread to refer to - 20,000 plus views and hundreds of posts with similar horror stories doesnt make me sound like im going after cash and prizes here. i spent money to enjoy my car, not get the shaft for months and have my cars bumper screwed up. it took four months just to get them to accept responsibility for the install. the other post showed pics of this - just plain embarrassing workmanship.

you think i like having a company's parts on my car that im now bound to? i have to buy rotors from these guys in the future. anything goes wrong on my supercharger - guess who i have to go to? ive been asking for documentation and for a tech to call me back about a small belt squeak for two months now also... each time i emailed kyle, i was supposed to get a call back. the last time he emailed me to say he was pulling the brakes off the table as a sign of saying sorry - he also said he didnt think i still wanted to talk to a tech. any of you buy a 5k supercharger or related product and not get documentation for it, have a small problem you want to handle on your own and then just decide to forget about it?

stillen didnt fix my brakes at their shop either. towbin infiniti in las vegas actually fixed the problem, so kyle is again mistaken there...

all im saying here is im a common customer who saved for a long time for a car and want to make sure that i respect what ive bought and do things correctly the first time. if i screw up, i apologize and do whatever it takes to correct the situation in a reasonable amount of time. any of you who seem to deem otherwise and think im just trying to con a large company with tons of resources is mistaken.
If your installer or whoever it was installed the brakes correctly the first time you wouldn't have had a problem. Brakes are very fragile parts and if everything is perfect then they are screwed up. Unless stillen did the install on the brakes then whoever installed them is at fault, not stillen. So there they gave you new rotors and pads because your installed can't break in rotors and pads correctly.

You supercharger has a belt squeal? Again, most likely it is because it wasn't installed properly. Go to your installed and b!tch at him for not knowing his ****. Not stillen.

You "authentic" top secret bumper? It wasn't even made by the same material top secret uses. Yet you claimed that it was real and you needed a new one (or three?).

I am sorry to disagree with you on almost everything, but stillen has way more factual information than you do. If you had more convincing and supporting evidence then we might side with you, but it looks like stillen has everything properly documented. You don't.

-Sean

Old 05-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My question to mods is why was the orginial thread earsed then??? dont you think gspothawaii??? I give stillen credit for there side of the story but Id like to see gspots thread to....

this kinda reminds me of that one thread where someone was charging like 50 bucks for a piece(that went under the pedals) that you could get hella cheap at the local home depot or something of that sort....and that was pushed by a mod....hmmm

anyhow.... and stillen if this is in true and if this kyle is all that you know of (maybe some other stuff happened before you took over??) who knows..but this kinda stuff just sucks....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the "dont buy from stillen thread" (part two)