G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

More bad news - need advice/opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More bad news - need advice/opinions

Might be long but PLEASE read. I need advice.

Some of you may remember my previous post where I discovered that my "brand new" g35 coupe had apparently had some kind of work done to it before I bought it on the back passenger side quarter panel. I took it to get detailed and the detailer noticed it had been resprayed, sanded, etc., and poorly at that and who knows what else, i.e. possible body work, etc.

Infinti looked into it and came back with nothing. No record of any work having been done but yet they agreed that something had in fact been done to it. But there I was, no record, no explaination just good ol' mystery body work to my brand new 6MT coupe.

I left it alone and figured I'd live with it which goes against ever fiber in me but i WANT to be happy with my car so I put it out of my mind.

Today I had a body guy come out to look at the car to see if he could smooth out the back quater panel, minor, minor ripples but I notice them, and without having said a word to him about anything he states that it looks like the car has had body work done to it. I asked him what makes him think that, wanting to get his unbiased opinion since he knew nothing of what I already knew. He showed me the same tell tale signs as the detailer plus one more...

THE PAINT IS DISCOLORED. He said he noticed it right away. And I can see it plain as day. The entire rear quarter is slightly yellow compared to the rest of the car.

I took it immediately back to Infiniti and showed the service manager, same guy I talked to before about this issue. He seemed to agree that there was discoloration as well. He also agreed with me before that there definitely was some sort of work done to the car the first time I talked to him. Rememeber he pulled out his Mil guage and found the same results, about twice as thick on the rear passenger quarter panel.

What was I left with today? I was told to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and open a case with them. I did this as soon as I got back to my office and was told they would get back to me by Wed. 05.07.08.

This car was purchased brand new and now I am concerned that the value has diminished significantly because of this, EVEN IF Sewell offers to repaint the car or whatever they may offer.

What should I do as far as pursuing this. Is this just life, is this a disaster, am I out of luck? How far do I need to push this? Get an attorney lined up, demand a NEW car, make them buy mine back from me.

Thanks for reading, need your help and insight.

Last edited by lekker_droom; 05-05-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...thats a hassle...I would ask for a new car but I highly doubt they would agree to that...

If they don't agree to give you another car I don't think getting a lawyer would be too wise either because of the costs...I have a feeling a repaint might be in store

Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
How long have you had the car? Judging from your mod list, it's been a while.

Were you given the opportunity to inspect the car before purchase?

I'd be after a new car, but I don't know how fortunate you'll be in that regard.

See what the front office comes back with and negotiate from there. Remember:

- Be professional and don't go ballistic
- Be firm but not inflexible
- Don't burn bridges
- Don't try to lay blame without proof
- Be patient - you'll get further with sugar than you will a baseball bat

Keep us updated.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Got it back in Oct. 06. I did inspect it but didn't have a mil guage with me, something I will have from now on.

I will always be respectful and professional.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunno sounds like the quarter panel is a yellow one painted black???....maybe. did you get an insane good deal on it? that would be suspicious

Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
no, my car is IP and the back quarter panel is slighly off color with yellowish tint, it's subtle but it's definitely there.

ANd no I didn't get a good deal, that would mean I would already have known there was something wrong with it. Again, I bought this car brand new with something like 10 miles on it.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
brb getting cut
don't feel bad man keep that chin up... I mean I got my first speeding ticket ever the other day and I felt like the world was going to end LMAO.

don't worry it will all sort.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Premier Member
Wow.That sucks man you bought it brand new, only to find out that it's had bodywork done to it.Good luck with everything I hope you get this resolved soon.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Sounds like it may have had that panel damaged on delivery and the dealer did a cheap respray of the panel. A local Infiniti dealership here dented/scratched my rear bumper when my car was in for work and they had some sh*tty respray guy come in - they didn't even remove the bumper to spray. The clear coat didn't dry properly and now it's got orange peel. Most people wouldn't notice, but I'm a perfectionist and can't stand it

Good luck with whatever you decide! There must be some record of a respray somewhere - sounds like someone is hiding something.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe they got the car from another dealership? It could have been repaired at the other dealer and nothing was documented or said in the trade....
Dealers swap cars alot with each other depending on the need/options etc.

Good luck either way.....I know I would be upset as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 AM
As I understand it right now, Infiniti has traced the car back to it's arrival in the US from a prot in Los Angeles. No other dealer owned it, sold only to Sewell and delivered to Sewell. They say they have no documentation of anykind of any work being done to the car. But yet they agree that something has been done....sigh.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
As I understand it right now, Infiniti has traced the car back to it's arrival in the US from a prot in Los Angeles. No other dealer owned it, sold only to Sewell and delivered to Sewell. They say they have no documentation of anykind of any work being done to the car. But yet they agree that something has been done....sigh.
I don't know how Infiniti's VDC (Vehicle Distribution Centers) work, But when I used to work for Mercedes-Benz of North America, Alot of their incoming cars had some minor damage from shipping.

The cars entered the port, where they were inspected....If any damage was observed, it was noted and the cars then where sent to the VDC. There, the cars would undergo the prep for shipment to the dealerships.
This is where the cars where repaired and then sent off. They did not have to report this repair work to the dealership, nor the customer. It was all considered part of normal wear and tear from shipping.

So, Your car has definitely been repaired, but you just don't know where.
Some of the truck transport companies cause the damage as well. They may have repair places to repair the cars before they are brought along to the dealerships as well.......Way too many variables to figure out where it may have occurred.
Sorry, I know this doesn't give you an answer, but I was hoping to enlighten you a little bit from my experience in the industry.

Last edited by GR8TG35; 05-06-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like your car had some really bad body work. The bondo and clear seem to have not dried and that will turn yellow. I'd hand it over to an attorney.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Hopefully they'll just replace the body panel... I know it wouldn't match exactly if it were new, but it'd be better than old and yellowing.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
But isn't the issue here that no matter what they do to "fix" it, it's killing the value of my new car through no fault of my own? I will ALWAYS have to disclose that a body panel was replaced, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More bad news - need advice/opinions